Uros Plavsic commits to Tennessee

I just watched a few videos on him to familiarise my self, and he shows a pretty good stroke from 3, which we desperately need when you look at our current roster. I think him getting riled eligible is a lot more important than some think.

He's more like a modern stretch post player I believe. Not really a banger / paint dominator, but crazy length, athleticism, and ability to stretch a defense out to cover.

Transfer Uros Plavsic Signs with Vol Hoops - University of Tennessee Athletics

"Uroš is a skilled athlete with impact size," Barnes said. "He's a strong, physical player who can hold his own in the paint, and his offensive skill set could also allow him to play away from the basket, keeping the floor spaced. His mobility and ability to run make him a great fit in our transition offense and pressure defense schemes. And his comprehension of the game and understanding of the value of being a great teammate are more reasons we're excited about him joining our program."

Reactions: butchna
Transfer Uros Plavsic Signs with Vol Hoops - University of Tennessee Athletics

"Uroš is a skilled athlete with impact size," Barnes said. "He's a strong, physical player who can hold his own in the paint, and his offensive skill set could also allow him to play away from the basket, keeping the floor spaced. His mobility and ability to run make him a great fit in our transition offense and pressure defense schemes. And his comprehension of the game and understanding of the value of being a great teammate are more reasons we're excited about him joining our program."
Now get him eligible next season

Reactions: calban
Tennessee’s basketball roster got significantly bigger this week when 7-foot-1 Arizona State transfer Uros Plavsic confirmed he was headed to Knoxville by signing with Rick Barnes’ program. Originally from Serbia, Plavsic moved to the United States prior to his senior year of high school, which he spent playing for head coach Zach Ferrell at Hamilton Heights Christian in Chattanooga. Ferrell has worked with tons of talent during his time running the Hamilton Heights program, including former Kentucky standout and lottery pick Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. In Plavsic, he says that the Vols got a "gem." “I think he’s going to a great fit with Coach Barnes, the culture there and the style of basketball they play,” Ferrell said of Plavsic meshing with the Vols. “His biggest asset is obviously that he’s over seven feet tall, but he has a lot of versatility. “He’s got good strength. He’s athletic and for a guy his size he can really move his feet. The thing I love about him is that he’s ultra-competitive. I know they have some competitors in the program at Tennessee but I would say he’s going to walk in and be one of the most competitive kids in that program from day one.”
Plavsic spent this past year redshirting at Arizona State, which means he has four years to play in Knoxville if he can win a waiver to become immediately eligible this fall. Even though things didn’t work out for Plavsic with the Sun Devils, Ferrell feels like he reaped some real benefits from his one year in the program. “The biggest difference is just in his body, he really benefitted from being in a college strength and conditioning program for a whole year. He was already a strong kid but he’s made some real strides with his strength and conditioning,” his former coach said. “The year also really helped him in just adjusting and getting more familiar wit the American style of basketball. They play a different style at Arizona State than Tennessee does, but in terms of the way they play it still helped him compared to how he grew up playing in Europe. “I think it also really helped him that he was in a high major program like that and got to see how much attention is paid to game planning, film study and just the overall preparation that goes into playing at this level.”
With it becoming more and more common for European players to head to the States to play in college, and with the influx of overseas talent currently in the NBA, the stereotype that those players are less physical than their American counterparts has largely been dispelled. Physicality is certainly not a problem for Plavsic, according to Ferrell. “He’s really aggressive, like I said, just a great competitor. He’s not going to back down from anything,” Ferrell said. “That’s never been an issue for him and it’s even less of one now than when he first got here. “We only had him for one year here and he came so far in that one year. I honestly feel like if he would have been able to come over before his junior year and played two years here that he would have been a top-50 type prospect as a senior, maybe even top-25. I really feel like he has that kind of potential.” With Tennessee losing the front court tandem of Grant Williams and Kyle Alexander, Rick Barnes is staring at a void in the post that could certainly use the presence of a 7-foot-1 addition like Plavsic.
Whether or not he’ll get a crack at filling that void is yet to be determined and will hinge on the outcome of a waiver filed with the NCAA for immediate eligibility. The sport’s governing body has been all over the board it seems, in both football and basketball, when it comes to granting waivers. Some players with what appear to be strong cases have been denied, while others whose transfers seem to have been motivated by nothing other than a depth chart have been granted. Ferrell is optimistic that Plavsic will get good news. “I think he has a really good chance to be eligible this year and play immediately. Obviously we’ll have to see how things work out for him but I’m hopeful and think that he has a good case to be able to play this year,” Ferrell says.
The addition of Plavsic means that Tennessee has turned over close to half its roster from a team that won 31 games last season. He joined incoming freshmen Josiah James, Drew Pember, Devonte Gaines and Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua in what is essentially a five man class that completely changes the look of the roster from this time last year.
-VQ

Tennessee transfer Uros Plavsic has 'a good case' for NCAA waiver, Rick Barnes says

With Zlovaric no longer on Hurley’s staff, Barnes thinks it gives Plavsic grounds for a waiver.

“He was moving basically with a coach, and that coach was no longer there,” Barnes said Tuesday at the SEC spring meetings. “He’s lost his whole support system and wanted to get back closer to home.”

I’ll be shocked but the ncaa is so inconsistent. Maybe the language/culture barrier matters but allowing kids to transfer because assistant coaches leave is bad business for the ncaa

I’ll be shocked but the ncaa is so inconsistent. Maybe the language/culture barrier matters but allowing kids to transfer because assistant coaches leave is bad business for the ncaa

The NCAA is inconsistent? A 1,000 page book could be written about how rules apply to Donnie Tyndall, Bruce Pearl, Will Wade, Sean Miller, and Roy Williams.

The NCAA is inconsistent? A 1,000 page book could be written about how rules apply to Donnie Tyndall, Bruce Pearl, Will Wade, Sean Miller, and Roy Williams.
Can they get through the back log in 5 months? Seems we're always waiting for announcements and decisions.

I think his “home” also being in Chattanooga will hope bolster their claim, his host family will be right down the road and Chris Walker who worked at HHCA is the team chaplain at Tennessee.

I think his “home” also being in Chattanooga will hope bolster their claim, his host family will be right down the road and Chris Walker who worked at HHCA is the team chaplain at Tennessee.

It wouldn’t hurt if he had some “bad experiences” at asu

Heard one of their baseball players told an offensive Serbian joke.

Sadly I’ve joked but was serious that if I was a player wanting to transfer from a school I’d hit the message boards and post a threatening anonymous message about myself and use it for leaving.

Reactions: CAVPUT
VQ saying that Drazen Zlovaric is gonna go on record with NCAA waiver committee to say Hurley hired him to get Plavsic and pitch to Plavsic was he would be at ASU with him...Tennessee feels very good about their chances of him being ruled eligible immediately.

Interesting angle

Not a precedent the ncaa needs to set if they allow such a waiver but i hope they do

Interesting angle

Not a precedent the ncaa needs to set if they allow such a waiver but i hope they do
Meh...neither was the Fields one. Back on point, how does Lewis’s VQ info on Plavsic being instantly impressive and the best big man on campus...much more skilled than Alexander as a senior jibe with your take that Hurley wanted him gone so bad he fired his coach to get rid of him? 😏

Meh...neither was the Fields one. Back on point, how does Lewis’s VQ info on Plavsic being instantly impressive and the best big man on campus...much more skilled than Alexander as a senior jibe with your take that Hurley wanted him gone so bad he fired his coach to get rid of him? 😏

It doesn’t move my needle

I’ve been around long enough to know the summer is designed for VQ to overhyped players in football and basketball. I remember thinking Turner was going to be the next great PG as a RS freshmen. Obviously they need some content to keep readers happy

If he. Was that good, why would he be leaving Ariz. st. after a redshirt season? I would say it's just like Walker leaving here, CRB told him he's not going to get much playing time. Hopefully I'm wrong and this guy is better than Walker

He went to Arizona St. because of Dražen Zlovarić, who was a graduate assistant here under Barnes. Dražen then went to Cleveland St. and Uros committed there. And then they both went to Arizona, but Dražen was let go from there so Uros went into the portal. Has nothing to do with how good he is. I bet Dražen probably had some influence on him coming here thanks to his history with Barnes.

Last edited:
VQ does a good job of trying to get people excited. If anyone really pays attention they don't know sh!t but just want someone to read the material.

(Which I understand it is a business for crying out loud)

VN Store

Back