When Saban retires, what would CJP do if Bama called

Salary and the relationship with the AD are important factors in this. If Bama did come calling I’m not sure Pruitt leaves if him and Fulmer are tight.

Pruitt has a chance to create his own dynasty at Tennessee instead of being the guy that wins with Saban’s players. It’s not a for sure thing.

Not to mention Dabo gets the first call imo.

Reactions: feathersax
1. Stay here and build a legacy

2. Leave for Bama

3. Or follow the guy who follows Saban

Your thoughts please also this is contingent on Pruitt doing well here and salary offers are roughly equal.
If he's rolling stay here, if not, "Mamma called"

He may but you have to think that if he did UT would most likely be a monster. Id be interested in how a coaching search would go with UT back to full power and Fulmer running the search. That being said it seems like no one is really getting their man anymore except Michigan and that’s looking more like a bust every season.

Reactions: PowerT83
You don’t wanna be the guy who follows Saban.

You are just asking to have terminated on your resume.

You wanna be the guy who falls Saban.

Pruitt would be a fool to leave. He just needs 9 wins a year here, sometimes 10, with a sec east victory and he’s here forever with a huge salary.

He doesn’t win a championship by year 3 or the sec outright he is gonna from Bama. And Jimbo is building a juggernaut.

Bama has high expectations....not like us.

Pruitt will have Tn at 10 win seasons, at best, and that will be his ceiling as a coach
Bama will call the current Clemson coach, who has won National Championships
Pruitt will have limited success at Tn

So far he looks like a career coordinator. Hope I'm wrong but that's the way I see it. Some people are not cut out for HC.

Saban will neither leave Alabama nor retire until his teams stop competing for national championships. I fear we will have to wait for the man to pass, and in the interim we will have cornbread for as long as we care to eat.

Yes. This is ridiculous. Bama would no sooner offer the hfc gig to CJP at this point than they would offer it to me. I'm not sure why we hired him, except Fulmer.

The only draw is if Mama asks you to come home , how strong it will be to say no. Because if he is their guy Saban’s guy they will make it as hard as possible to say no. If this were 3 years ago I’d say he’d be there in a heartbeat, but things have changed drastically.

You only “go home” if you think it offers you a path to the next level. Dabo doesn’t need Bama. Bama would need Dabo. No way Clemson lets Bama outpay Dabo.

Also, Dabo would be living in Saban’s shadow until he surpassed his natty count. That would take 5 years at Bama at the minimum. Long time to live in a shadow.

Salary and the relationship with the AD are important factors in this. If Bama did come calling I’m not sure Pruitt leaves if him and Fulmer are tight.

When Saban retires in 4 or 5 seasons, Fulmer won’t be our AD. We will have a new AD by then

1. Stay here and build a legacy

2. Leave for Bama

3. Or follow the guy who follows Saban

Your thoughts please also this is contingent on Pruitt doing well here and salary offers are roughly equal.

Who cares? Why would WE care before season 2 has even begun and WE don't know what kind of coach Pruitt will be?
FFS, let's see if Pruitt can actually coach before we worry about him staying. Hell, we may be looking to get rid of the guy in two years. I understand it's contingent but after a 5-7 season?

Yes. This is ridiculous. Bama would no sooner offer the hfc gig to CJP at this point than they would offer it to me. I'm not sure why we hired him, except Fulmer.

I am not a believer in Pruitt. We were desperate for a hire and I decided to be open minded
I think he can get us to a 10 win season but won’t get us to SEC or National Championship
Some coaches have the killer instinct. He doesnt
Example: Saban replaced a proven an in critical game for a less proven player because he wanted to win the game. That tactic worked
Pruitt on the other hand, could have won the South Carolina game last year If we had even 1 less qb sack. We beat USC & we go bowling
Pruitt kept JG in game the entire time and he kept getting sacked or ran for his life. Keller would have released the ball quicker and not been sacked. More completions We win the game
Pruitt May want to win but not enough to make the hard decisions. This is why we stay at 10 win seasons
Spurrier made gutsy calls & so did Saban. They won championships

It think it all depends on Dabo Swinney's loyalty to Bama, and Clemson's ability to pay him to stay. Their ability to pay is ever increasing, with one successful season, after another. If Clemson can pay, and Dabo goes with $$$, then CJP is gone. But, I do not think $$$ will matter, in Dabo's case, when Bama comes calling. On the other hand, if CJP is VERY SUCCESSFUL (Beat Bama, SEC East Titles, SEC Champ, etc), and Dabo's success declines, Bama will come calling CJP, and he will go home. At that point, we can hire just about anyone we want.

The longer he's here, I think the more apt he is to stay here. Money won't be the issue, legacy, with one Natty he can equal his boss, with two, he'll be crowned the best, 3 we'd rename the stadium after him, or at least hyphenate it. The longer he's here, the more power he exerts, the more he will be embraced and grow to love the place, ala Jim Chaney. If Saban retires in next 3 years, Dabo and Jimbo would be first and second on their list, Kirby next, Freddie Kitchens in there somewhere if he is successful at all. But if they do come calling before Pruitt is firmly established here, he would leave immediately, today, next month, whatever. The best scenario for us is Nicky to coach for 5 to 6 until Pruitt beats him for the SEC and wins a CFB title, that happens?, We have a good shot to keep him.

He’d tell us he’s always been a Bama guy and thanks for the resume builder.

Probably yell “Roll damn Tide” as he drove out of Knoxville in his big maroon pickup.

And we’d promote Jim Cheney as HC.

And how'd that Shula hire work out for them? Did they take a chance on another young coach with little coaching experience when they fired him? No, they went after a seasoned HC in Saban. Not to mention that the hiring of an untested Shula was an aberration in their previous hiring practices, Franchione had 16 years HC experience when Alabama hired him, Mike Price had 20, Stallings had 9.

Really the only reason Ala got Saban after he initially said no, was because Mike Riley turned down the opportunity to come back to his Alma mater and Rich Rod had second thoughts and changed his mind at the last minute. Nobody wanted the Ala job, then they took a 2nd run at Saban and he took it for 2 reasons. He was done with the NFL and Saban knew he could get anything he wanted from Ala with how desperate they were.

Alabama hiring Shula was also a hire because nobody else wanted the job. They were having NCAA Probation issues and a hire needed to be made quick after firing Price. After Bryant they hired Ray Perkins, who had never been a HC ,but was an Alabama Grad. Then Bill Curry, who had a 31-43 HC record at Ga Tech. Then Stallings, who had been a HC only one time and had a HC record of 27-45 at Texas AM. Then yes of probation followed while he was the HC at Ala. Then they hire Mike Dubose, an Alabama Grad and 1st time HC. He was fired after going 24-23 and then more probation violations under his watch led to more yrs of probation that Shula had to deal with. Then they go outside of the Ala family and hire Fran, who had coached at only one power school. That was at TCU for 3 yrs, who was in the WAC back then. He left after 2 yrs then of course the Price Fiasco. Latly they hire another Bammer Grad and 1st time HC Mike Shula. He never had a fighting chance with dealing with Scholly restrictions and 2 yrs bowl ban because of previous NCAA Infractions and probation. So since Bryant, Ala has had 8 HC"s( Perkins,Curry,Stallings,Dubose,Fran,Price,Shula and Saban.) 3 of the 8 were first time HC's and 3 were Ala Alums. 2 others had career losing records, Price never got to coach a game, but was only 7 games over .500 when Ala hired him. Saban has been the only great hire since Bryant and was a Mike Riley or Rich Rod accepting the job from not having Saban or be on this run they are on. Point being Ala has not been a hot bed for great HC's and have more than made their share of really bad hires. Very,very rarely does the HC that follows a legend end up succeeding. I'm not sure Dabo or JP follow Saban if offered. Dabo will be the first call, I can guarantee that. If JP gets a call then it means he's got us playing well. If he does leave then it means we are in great shape and will be much easier to hire an experienced and successful HC. I hope that's a problem we run into and maybe he chooses to stay.

You don’t wanna be the guy who follows Saban.

You are just asking to have terminated on your resume.

You wanna be the guy who falls Saban.

Pruitt would be a fool to leave. He just needs 9 wins a year here, sometimes 10, with a sec east victory and he’s here forever with a huge salary.

He doesn’t win a championship by year 3 or the sec outright he is gonna from Bama. And Jimbo is building a juggernaut.

Bama has high expectations....not like us.

This is simply not true. Our expectations are just as high as Alabama's. I just posted the list of HC's that followed the Bear and up till Saban got there. They have made even worst hires than we have the last 30 yrs.

This is simply not true. Our expectations are just as high as Alabama's. I just posted the list of HC's that followed the Bear and up till Saban got there. They have made even worst hires than we have the last 30 yrs.

They hired some real duds and coke heads but they didn’t scrape the la tech bottom of the barrel.

VN Store

Back