Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Basilio blog this morning they said that injury is worse than TN is letting on. Hope they're wrong

Basilio isn't particularly known for his accuracy.

This situation shows the lose-lose nature coaching decisions have as well.

You don't practice too hard and people complain that you didn't practice hard when the team lacks focus, doesn't play tough, or is injury prone during the season. You practice hard and people complain that you practiced too hard when there are spring injuries or players get injured in the season.

Reactions: 4 people
What abut Hall though? Definitely a good problem to have

Good problem to have for sure, we're loaded at OL, I don't know what they're going to do. Nobody is replacing Robertson, seems like Thomas is probably the center (although they have worked Robertson at center with Thomas out so who knows), but LT, RG, and RT are open. You have Richmond, Smith, Jack Jones, Chance Hall, Boulware and Kendrick. Wonder who gets those 3 spots.

Good problem to have for sure, we're loaded at OL, I don't know what they're going to do. Nobody is replacing Robertson, seems like Thomas is probably the center (although they have worked Robertson at center with Thomas out so who knows), but LT, RG, and RT are open. You have Richmond, Smith, Jack Jones, Chance Hall, Boulware and Kendrick. Wonder who gets those 3 spots.

I wish he would let Jack Jones stick at RG and just maul people. IMO he's our best bet there but what the hell do I know

RT...I think it's a very smart move and was hoping Trey would progress enough for it to happen... that is FOR SURE best case scenario!!!

I don't know which one is better for LT, but if Trey is ready, I'd be fine with them two at the tackle position.

I think best five would be...

LT Trey Smith
LG Jack Jones
C Thomas
RG Robertson
RT Drew Richmond

I wish he would let Jack Jones stick at RG and just maul people. IMO he's our best bet there but what the hell do I know

I agree, the line seems to be much better with him in there, but for some reason Weisman had the start over him. But I'm like you, what do I know?

I think best five would be...

LT Trey Smith
LG Jack Jones
C Thomas
RG Robertson
RT Drew Richmond

I'd switch Jones and Robertson, other than that I agree. One thing for sure, we're loaded at that position. Going to be incredible when Mays arrives next year. He may be another guy who can come in and start his freshman season. 3 five stars starting on our OL would be incredible.

I'd switch Jones and Robertson, other than that I agree. One thing for sure, we're loaded at that position. Going to be incredible when Mays arrives next year. He may be another guy who can come in and start his freshman season. 3 five stars starting on our OL would be incredible.
Depends what you want to run and where you want to run it... also some teams will have their best Guard opposite of QB's throwing arm...

Noticed Trey didn't have a black stripe. Guess it's already been removed they just didn't announce it

Trey Smith’s helmet already shows clear evidence of the strong impression he has made on his teammates and coaches through his first 10 spring practices at Tennessee.

The freshman offensive lineman, a former five-star prospect from University School of Jackson (Tenn.), told GoVols247 on Tuesday that his black helmet stripe was removed Saturday following the Vols’ scrimmage, which concluded their third week of spring practice.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Bolt/Smith-becomes-first-Vol-to-shed-stripe-in-spring-52262265

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
https://vimeo.com/212830125

Thigpen interview today. He's very happy with his LB's and the new staff additions especially Hoke and Rock. Great stuff.

Good stuff.

Austin Smith back down to 230, he's gonna be a stud this year I think.

Also touched on a discussion we had in here previously. In certain situations, we can have 2 Mikes on the field at the same time with one of them taking the Will responsibility. Bruin was adamant that we wouldn't see Kirkland outside because he hadn't cross trained there. Turns out, the responsibilities overlap and he can slide on the outside and play some in certain situations.

Good news

Reactions: 4 people

Tennessee should've never went through a dearth of quality at OL. Even decades ago when the state wasn't producing nearly the number of D1 prospects, we were producing quality OL and DL prospects. Hell, many of them are or were legendary college and pro players.

That we ever got into the situation we did on OL, makes me want to fire Dooley again.

Reactions: 1 person
Funny how folks are ignoring Kendrick in their early OL starters list. Might want to reconsider leaving off a 6' 6" 320 lbs. RS Sr. that has about 20 starts under his belt.

Austin Smith will hopefully shorten Colton Jumper's time on the field.

Reactions: 2 people
Good stuff.

Austin Smith back down to 230, he's gonna be a stud this year I think.

Also touched on a discussion we had in here previously. In certain situations, we can have 2 Mikes on the field at the same time with one of them taking the Will responsibility. Bruin was adamant that we wouldn't see Kirkland outside because he hadn't cross trained there. Turns out, the responsibilities overlap and he can slide on the outside and play some in certain situations.

Good news

So working at both places. That's great to hear

Funny how folks are ignoring Kendrick in their early OL starters list. Might want to reconsider leaving off a 6' 6" 320 lbs. RS Sr. that has about 20 starts under his belt.

Austin Smith will hopefully shorten Colton Jumper's time on the field.

Agreed. Austin is much more natural at LB. He has the athleticism to be very good, I'm excited about his potential there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back