The Weightlifters Thread

I'm not a big fan of creatine...I never got results that I could notice while using it. I could google it but since we're on the subject, what exactly does creatine do and is it worth the risk of damaging your liver/kidney?

Primary problem with creatine is production, its all over the map. Plus the monohydrate is incredibly unstable in water and quickly forms creatinine which will make your piss smell like ammonia. The only manufacturer on the market that makes a quality creatine monohydrate is in Germany and their trade name is CreaPure. If your supplement has that its solid, otherwise iffy.
I alter with Krealkalyn and ConCrete and have seen some nice results.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm not a big fan of creatine...I never got results that I could notice while using it. I could google it but since we're on the subject, what exactly does creatine do and is it worth the risk of damaging your liver/kidney?

Read:

GSSI: Sports Science Library

Conclusion in short is that as far as they can tell, it does have an observable increase in athletic performance for strenuous activities lasting less than 30 seconds, i.e. football plays or weight lifting. That's about the most conclusive study you'll ever see for a dietary supplement (an industry which Oren Hatch has ruined... thanks, bud).

I cycle on & off with Jack3d. Two downsides that I can find with Jack3d are that its primary stimulant is caffeine, which is great, but anyone can build a tolerance for it very quickly which means taking more and more to be effective which in the long run wipes out your wallet. The other is that Jack3d is so effective it will completely wipe out your glycogen stores, wreak havoc on your adrenal glands, and possibly inhibit natural insulin production. I guess with anything balance is the key.

Anybody who is qualified to talk about the stuff recommends cycling off for an equal amount of time that you're on it, which I do. I go 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off.

I use freeweights and bowflex. I've been looking to switch up my workouts I do the normal routines bench, curls, db flies, shoulder press. Anyone have some different workouts?

Just make sure you're getting all you need with recovery. Simple stacks like that are all most anybody really ever needs.

If anyone is interested in increasing their squat by 10%-15% instantly get a Manta Ray squat assist. I'd link a picture but I'm mobile and don't know how. It's just a molded piece of plastic that you snap to the bar that provides 1600% more contact area to stabilize the bar. You can buy them on eBay for about $30.

We called that the p***y pad on my football team. It definitely worked though

Jack3d and ON whey are solid. However;

1) You should put in a post-workout creatine (pre-workout if you want as well)

2) I've heard opti-Men is solid, but from everything I've heard, Animal Pak is the undisputed king of multis right now. Get some, but don't pay more than $30 for it.

3) IMO Amino supplements are a racket. If you're eating a healthy diet, you should be getting more than enough no matter how much protein you're trying to eat, ON has aminos in it, so does nearly every variety of meat and poultry.

I've used both. I got a good deal on the Pak so I thought I'd give it a try since it is considered the GOAT. Both were great products.

Pretty sure it's only $26 for 44 packs on BB.com.

My next stack will be ON Whey, Green Magnitude, White Flood, and one of Opti-Men/Pak.

I've used both. I got a good deal on the Pak so I thought I'd give it a try since it is considered the GOAT. Both were great products.

My next stack will be ON Whey, Green Magnitude, White Flood, and one of Opti-Men/Pak.

Bodybuilding.com is the only place I order supplements. Great prices, fast shipping.

5x5's are literally the oldest routine in the book.

They do help strength, but a bit marginally to other routines, IMO. If I'm trying to up my strength and basically hit bigger numbers on the sides of the dumbbells I'm using, I'll do 5 sets of 3 or 4, with a huge increase in weight. I'll throw form to the wind once or twice just to get acclimated to putting up that much weight, then bring the form back in over the next session or two and I usually end up putting up more weight with proper form once again.

Loose example (I've done something like this but I'll just make up the routine and the amt of weight I was lifting), I started off with 4x8's of 80 lbs. on the preacher curl. Next time I want to get strength up, so I start off with 85 lbs. standing, trying to use proper form but cheating a bit with the hips (as little as possible) to get through a set. Next set, 5 lbs., so on and so forth. Five or six sets of very low reps. By the end, I'm getting 120 lbs. up but with more hips in the mix. Next session, do the same, bring the technique back in a little. After that, I go back to firmly seated on a preacher curl (so as to eliminate any ability to cheat) and I'm doing more weight.

For someone who doesn't have a solid strength base already, I don't think it can be beat.

For you, a slow moving linear program wouldn't be near as beneficial like you said.

Last edited:
For somebody who doesn't have a strength base, i.e. is new to lifting, just being in the gym 4 times a week is a great start. Even the most whacked-out of programs will yield huge improvements to the uninitiated for the first couple months.

I just figured this thread was for folks who have been at it for a while.

I hate White Flood with a passion. Ish messed me up.

I usually work 2 muscle parts per day. EX: bi and back. I'll do 3 bi and 3 backs with 10 reps each. I usually am in the gym 5-6 days a week, starting with 30 minutes on the treadmill

We called that the p***y pad on my football team. It definitely worked though

Same here, basketball though, never played football. The first time we saw it a kid brought it with him with a bunch of other gadgets, he had the plyometric training shoes and everything. He was a real skinny white kid and maybe 5'6" with shoes on. We all made fun of him but he didn't care. Then karma kicked my ass when I met up with him in a 3 on 3 tournament a few years after highschool and he schooled me big time! He could throw it down in traffic with two hands. I had a whole new respect for those gadgets then.

Any of you guys like to hang in the sauna or steamroom?

Cleveland Clinic will be publishing some results of a weight loss study involving sauna vs. ice baths. Interesting data! Sitting in a 180 degree sauna for 30 minutes has shown to decrease your metabolism. Sitting in an ice bath for 15 minutes ramps up your metabolism big time. Basically burning calories generates heat so when you need to cool down your body quits burning as many but when you need the heat it burns overtime. Pretty neat stuff I thought. That must be why there are so many fat guys in the sauna.

For somebody who doesn't have a strength base, i.e. is new to lifting, just being in the gym 4 times a week is a great start. Even the most whacked-out of programs will yield huge improvements to the uninitiated for the first couple months.

I just figured this thread was for folks who have been at it for a while.

Yeah but people straight in the gym shouldn't be wasting their time with 100's of preacher curls and crunches like most of the new guys I see in the gym.

If you can't bench your bodyweight and are afraid to get under a squat rack, you shouldn't waste your time on countless isolation movements IMO IMO.

5 times a week. This is my work out.

At 100 lbs. 8 sets of straight bench presses 25 reps. 8 sets of butterfly 25 reps. 8 sets of tricept busters 25 reps. Usually 1 followed by the other 2 without stopping for 8 sets of 75 continuous reps.

At 100 lbs. 50 arm curls followed by 40 then 2 at 30 and the last 1 back to 50.

At 180 lbs. on the lat tower. 5 sets of 25 to the chest and 5 sets to the back of the head and top of the shoulders. I alternate so I end up with 5 sets of 50 by doing one then the other continuosly.

This usually takes 45 to 50 minutes on the old bowflex. I start it off or finish it up by by 30 minutes of riding the upright Schwinn.

I get really pumped. Great heart rate stuff. My only complaint is I know I need some muscle confusion, need to change it up some and most of all stop doing it at 10 o'clock at night.

VN Store

Back