The Weightlifters Thread

I try to be clean with my diet, but I'm not overly strict. I have no bodybuilding aspirations so why miss out. I rarely eat sweets and cokes aren't my thing anymore. Maybe had five the last two years plus a few Jack and Cokes.

Same. I did, and got pretty cut for a while but I'd rather have booze and good food than be shredded. I did the same as Jaytrain for about a year, my entire diet consisted of egg white, protein powder, chicken breast, oatmeal, wheat bread, peanut butter, brown rice and veggies.

Give me the good stuff instead.

You are pretty dang swole but you have love handles.

Oh yeah, I'm 15 pounds above my ideal look. I can lose that in 2 weeks if I want to diet hardcore and I'll be shredded as hell, to the point that it makes me look bigger. I don't train lean in the winter.

Worked at GNC all through college and most of the supplement companies would send me anything I wanted for free, as long as I would push it on the sales floor.

I'm 5'7" and went from 170 as a freshman to 210 as a junior, dropping a waist size in that timeframe. Was an ox. Effed my shoulders and knees pretty good though during the process.

Going too heavy or bad technique?

I've done the same thing from pre-existing conditions.

Also, I tend to squat beyond what my knees should be handling... Both of them have been effed for that last 6 years or so. It just sucks, going back to 2,2.5 plates is so unsatisfying.

Going too heavy or bad technique?

Little of both. Too heavy always ends up leading to bad technique.

I was obsessed with getting bigger and lifting heavier. You reach a point where you're pushin' weight your body has no business pushing. Begging for an injury.

Little of both. Too heavy always ends up leading to bad technique.

I was obsessed with getting bigger and lifting heavier. You reach a point where you're pushin' weight your body has no business pushing. Begging for an injury.

Very true. I was obsessed about getting "swole". Now I just want to get as strong/big as my frame naturally allows and I want to lose enough weight so that my stomach doesn't jiggle when I brush my teeth.

Also, building muscle and losing fat are two entirely different things.

If you're new to working out by only a few months, you can do both at once, but once you're beyond that, trying to do both at the same time is a waste.

I'm kinda new to working out. Just really started back in November. Back in early 2009 I was going almost everyday but never really put on any muscle mass just lost alot of fat (210lbs down to 175lbs). Now I'm going back again and I want to put on muscle. I now weight about 179lbs. I do have gut still but I'm not doing shows are anything I just want bigger arms and bigger chest. I have already noticed a huge gain in strengh in the first two months and I'm happy about that but I want to get bigger. I try and take in about 150-180 grams of protein a day and I'm taking amino acids. We work out 4 days a week. Is there anything you guys could suggest that would help me to gain mass and not put the fat back on? Thanks.

53 yr old lift 3 days a week, boot camp 1 day a week, cardio 1-2 days a week. 3 knee surgeries last 5 years set me back a little. 5'-10"-188 lbs 15-17%body fat. For strength I want to get my bench back up 225-250. Any body got any good training ideas/routines that would help?

Have not benched over 200 in 25 years.

53 yr old lift 3 days a week, boot camp 1 day a week, cardio 1-2 days a week. 3 knee surgeries last 5 years set me back a little. 5'-10"-188 lbs 15-17%body fat. For strength I want to get my bench back up 225-250. Any body got any good training ideas/routines that would help?

Have not benched over 200 in 25 years.

Well I don't lift for strength but as I mentioned these exercise scientists did a wide scale study on lifting programs to improve strength and size. They showed just one set to failure will increase strength as much as any other regiment and it was statistically significant.

Everybody post a pic with their shirt off and let's see who is the swollest...
61vx3rq.gif

VN Store

Back