The Weightlifters Thread

Got a new preworkout supp in the mail today. AlphaFury by Bioquest. It contains a new NO stimulater. I'll get to try it tomorrow.

They also sent me a sample of 1.M.R. by BPI. Anyone tried that? It supposed to be concentrated Jack3d.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Heard good things about 1mr but jack3d is still easily best bang for the buck

1.M.R. is just a stupid dose of caffeine. Gave me the jitters and I crashed hard. Saw True Grit after the gym and slept through it.

Jack3d>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1.M.R.

I'll try my AlphaFury on Sunday.

Whats a good whey protein based drink? I workout for highschool football so I would like to start drinking protein.

If I told you I'd have to kill you. :)

$15 per 44 packs

... watch your back.

Nah, I can't hook it up for that price for anybody else really though.

Just seeing who else lifts on VN. I currently play highschool football and lift 4 days a week, on a lower/upper body plan. We power clean and squat on mondays and thurdsday, and bench press and various shoulder workouts on wednesday and friday. Also many people think football players in highschool are overworked, what do you all thing of this? Happy Lifting! :hi:

My Splits:

Chest: 25-30 sets

Back: 30 sets

Quads: 15-20 sets
Forearms: 10 sets

Shoulders: 25-30 sets
Calves: 16 sets

Biceps: 20 sets
Triceps: 20 sets

Hamstrings: 15-20 sets
Calves: 12 sets

I work out 6-7 days a week. I've been working out consistently for 4 years. Glad to see others with the passion for it.

180802_822752490429_17804899_42244375_3798017_n.jpg

6' 2", 200 lbs

I do regular sit ups like once a week and I honestly only do like 2 sets of 20 but I have decent abs. If I trained them a little more and did other stuff like 6 inches I could have an unbelievably shredded six pack.

I think abs are the biggest waste of time. It's more about diet and genetics than anything. If you have significant belly fat, working out abs hardcore is one of the worst things you can do. It makes your stomach muscles swell, and they're still covered by fat so your stomach looks even worse.

Franco Columbu never worked out abs and his were pristine. He said all he did was flex abs during every lift.

NO Explode is so-so, but Cellmass is easily one of the best creatine supplement products on the market. Endorush also works well if you use it once in a great while. Doesn't really provide a pump of any sort, but the one-off strength increase is nuts. I was lifting at least 15-20% more first time I had a whole bottle.

I hate NO Xplode and I love Cellmass. NO did nothing for me except make me sick when I upped the dosage in a final attempt to get some results. I like Cellmass because it seems effective and isn't a ton of liquid so you don't bloat.

Jack3d is the best. I take that, L-Glutamine, and Whey protein powder, and I'll do a post-workout creatine in cycles.

I love to take my vanilla protein powder with coffee.

Last edited:
K so sorry I just made 5 posts in a row, but I'm trying to catch up with this thread. I am so passionate about lifting.

I'm always trying to learn new things. If you have good tips, send them my way. Here's some of my tips, but first you must understand I lift for shape, not strength or performance:

1 -You have to find what works for you (range of motion, # of reps, weight, etc.), everyone's body is different. I swear lighter weight is the way to go (through trial and error), but find what works for you.

2 - Slow down your reps, don't just move weight around. That's how you get injured and it's counterproductive. Lift the weight by isolating the muscle.

3 - The importance of mental focus cannot be understated. When I do a rep I try to picture all the blood in my body rushing to that muscle to swell it and lift the weight.

4 - Stay swoll as long as you can. Getting the pump and maintaining it is the whole reason for going to the gym. A cold environment is terrible for your muscles. Put a sweater on when you leave the gym even if you're sweating a lot.

5 - When I'm feeling a lack of motivation learning something new inspires me to lift. I usually cure apathy by watching youtube videos of Kai Greene or some of my other favorites. Always be learning whether it's a new lift, or improving muscle control, etc.

6 - Pose in front of the mirror daily doing flexes (5-10 minutes). It helps the muscle to obtain desired shape and helps you get mentally where you wanna be. I like to stretch and flex in between sets too. It makes you feel like a douche to flex at the gym, but Arnold swore by it and I try not to care what others think.

7 - Constantly be making changes to shock the muscles. Don't let them get complacent. Change lifts, angles, # of sets, splits, etc.

If I think of other good tips I'll post them. Through trial and error I found what works for me. In 4 years I made a good deal of progress considering the hand I'm genetically dealt.

Age 25, 6' 2" 172 lbs
2006-1-01.jpg

Age 29. 6' 2" 200 lbs
180802_822752490429_17804899_42244375_3798017_n.jpg

I'd love to see before and after shots of y'all.

Last edited:
All around good tips, but making gains through lifting more weight can't be stressed enough. I typically aim for 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps, but at a certain point I drop reps and add weight so I can loft more. It's as much about strength and size as anything for me, but changing your routine regularly is very important.

Btw I don't have any pics ATM but I'm checking in at 5'10" an 220"lbs. The complexion is a little soft but I've been enjoying plenty of good food and beer lately

All around good tips, but making gains through lifting more weight can't be stressed enough. I typically aim for 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps, but at a certain point I drop reps and add weight so I can loft more. It's as much about strength and size as anything for me, but changing your routine regularly is very important.

There's a lot of disagreement about this. I read bodybuilder's saying you have to go high weight and others who say it's a waste. Find what works for you. Lower rep higher weight doesn't do anything for me.

Also, I read an interesting academic journal recently. If you lift for performance you can make max gains with a lot less effort. They found that somebody who goes to the gym and does say maybe flat bench for 1 set to failure will make the same gains in strength and size as somebody who does 4 sets. The article didn't address shape, but their findings for size and strength are very convincing.

Good tips, especially number one. Everybody's different and what works for one person might not work for another. Personally, your split would just be over training for me. I'll also leave the in between sets posing for the bodybuilders.

It's partly the pose... I'm the same way, I've done strict diet and hardcore conditioning for months before with all sorts of different supplement approaches and not been able to get rid of them.

Some people just can't off them entirely without going to extremes.

Damn bro, the cheapest I've seen online is about $26.

Worked at GNC all through college and most of the supplement companies would send me anything I wanted for free, as long as I would push it on the sales floor.

I'm 5'7" and went from 170 as a freshman to 210 as a junior, dropping a waist size in that timeframe. Was an ox. Effed my shoulders and knees pretty good though during the process.

Worked at GNC all through college and most of the supplement companies would send me anything I wanted for free, as long as I would push it on the sales floor.

I'm 5'7" and went from 170 as a freshman to 210 as a junior, dropping a waist size in that timeframe. Was an ox. Effed my shoulders and knees pretty good though during the process.

You still workout or injuries keep you out?

You still workout or injuries keep you out?

Still workout, but not addicted to it like I used to be.

I went 4 years and never drank a soft drink, never had a slice of pizza or ice cream, nothing. Just chicken breast, brown rice, protein bars and shakes, egg whites, peanut butter...just got old after a while. Never went a single week where I wasn't in the gym at least 4 days. Beer was my only vice.

I eat what I want now. It's a little frustrating when I look in the mirror, because the physique was pretty cool...but with a career to juggle, it's just too difficult to maintain that kind of lifestyle.

VN Store

Back