The Weightlifters Thread

Not really, just whey protein, creatine, and preworkout. I've tried a lot of stuff cause I'm a hard gainer, can get cut and stronger but don't really add much weight. I've tried BCAAs, L Glutamine, L Citrulline Malate, DAA (which tastes like pure hell) and L Carnitine didn't really notice a difference on any of it. Ordered M1 Alpha supposed to be here today with my on and post cycle stuff, a buddy swears by it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks. I currently only take L Citrulline. I notice the difference when I skip it. I can really see the difference in my veins since taking it and starting to work out again.

I'm 41 and don't expect much growth. I'm more focusing on being lean and definition. I've been reading on DHEA (I think that's right) and it has peaked my interest. For someone my age it seems like it my be a good supplement to help provide more energy and extended work out.

I'm not interested in the supplements that are packed full of caffeine. I'm not a fan of the way I feel when the caffeine isn't in my system and the withdrawal head aches are feirce.

Thanks. I currently only take L Citrulline. I notice the difference when I skip it. I can really see the difference in my veins since taking it and starting to work out again.

I'm 41 and don't expect much growth. I'm more focusing on being lean and definition. I've been reading on DHEA (I think that's right) and it has peaked my interest. For someone my age it seems like it my be a good supplement to help provide more energy and extended work out.

I'm not interested in the supplements that are packed full of caffeine. I'm not a fan of the way I feel when the caffeine isn't in my system and the withdrawal head aches are feirce.

That's the thing with supplements everybody reacts differently so it becomes trial and error. I have friends that love BCAAs but they do nothing for me that I notice. Then I have friends that say creatine is a waste but I notice when I'm on and off it.

I take DHEA too. I just lump it in with Fish Oil, Multi Vitamins, and joint support. I like it and feel fresher and push harder with it. I'm 39 I'd recommend it to us older guys. You could try beta alanine, its the main ingredient is preworkout supps and will give you a pretty good kick. Just beware of the face and body tingles. Lol

I also try and get my protein naturally. I eat a crap load of Greek yogurt, chicken, fish, beans, eggs, etc.

I just have weird eating issues where I can't eat the most random stuff, so I have to get protein and vitamins elsewhere. And by weird I mean I can't eat most fruits and veggies, eggs, anything other than milk and water and various other foods, or I get sick AF. Lol

That's the thing with supplements everybody reacts differently so it becomes trial and error. I have friends that love BCAAs but they do nothing for me that I notice. Then I have friends that say creatine is a waste but I notice when I'm on and off it.

I take DHEA too. I just lump it in with Fish Oil, Multi Vitamins, and joint support. I like it and feel fresher and push harder with it. I'm 39 I'd recommend it to us older guys. You could try beta alanine, its the main ingredient is preworkout supps and will give you a pretty good kick. Just beware of the face and body tingles. Lol

Thanks for the info, you've been very helpful. I used to take creatine and it definitely allowed me to lift heavier weight for more reps.

I've recently lost around 40 lbs and creatine always made me looked more thick and less defined, so I'm trying to stay away for that reason right now. I guess that has to do with the water retention. But, part of me really wants to go down the creatine road again for the added ability it provides.

Thanks for the info, you've been very helpful. I used to take creatine and it definitely allowed me to lift heavier weight for more reps.

I've recently lost around 40 lbs and creatine always made me looked more thick and less defined, so I'm trying to stay away for that reason right now. I guess that has to do with the water retention. But, part of me really wants to go down the creatine road again for the added ability it provides.

No problem glad I could help.

40lbs, impressive. I'm lucky I guess creatine has never made me look or feel bloated, I'd drop it otherwise. I want to add some weight but keep the lean cut look. Oh one side for DHEA, for me anyway, it makes me feel pretty hot and I sweat a lot more during workouts. Just a heads up in case you feel your body temperature raise some, not really a negative just a little odd the first time it happens.

No problem glad I could help.

40lbs, impressive. I'm lucky I guess creatine has never made me look or feel bloated, I'd drop it otherwise. I want to add some weight but keep the lean cut look. Oh one side for DHEA, for me anyway, it makes me feel pretty hot and I sweat a lot more during workouts. Just a heads up in case you feel your body temperature raise some, not really a negative just a little odd the first time it happens.

Niacin, when I took it would make me get that warm flush feeling.

My diet is my worst enemy. I lost all that weight and still had extra weight in my belly area. I lost weight there but not at the same levels I did everywhere else. After I lost the weight I quit doing cardio and started only lifting. I've found that my weekend vice of beer drinking won't allow me to totally quit cardio.

Who has been hittin it hard this new year?

I had a meet in November in Gatlinburg and it was disappointing. I squatted 848lbs but when I went to rack it after the lift, the bar started rolling down my back and it didn't count...I WAS PISSED. Then on the Bench, I had 540lbs almost all the way up, I was struggling but it was moving, and I caught a major cramp in my hamstring lol. So I ended up with 518lbs. I did 620 on Deads and stopped bc no use in continuing and taking chance of getting hurt when I had no shot of getting my total.

So I took a month off to clear my head and have been hitting it hard and incorporating more cardio. Next meet is tentatively scheduled for April in Cleveland TN. I will be going for a 900lb squat, 550lb Bench and 650 DL. If I do that meet, I will let y'all know in case any of y'all are close and wanna come by or get together that Friday and eat.

I finished the year in a disappointing 26th overall total in the SHW. If I got my numbers, I finish 10th.

Keep Training and have fun.

Reactions: 1 person
Tonight will be the first time I've worked out since Christmas. Took a vacation, then was sick for a week, another week of just being to weak to really do much. Funny cause I never really lifted till a little over a year ago, now I feel off not being able too. About to Hulk smash, well more like Hawkeye smash. Lol

Damn 32, that's some serious weight.

At 157 lbs, I'm up to a 240x5 bench. My squats are pretty weak because of an injury I suffered last year, but I go ass to grass for 260x3. My dead has also stalled a lot this past month as I have had reoccurring groin strains when trying to pull heavier weight. It is at 315x3 though.

Reactions: 1 person
Who has been hittin it hard this new year?

I had a meet in November in Gatlinburg and it was disappointing. I squatted 848lbs but when I went to rack it after the lift, the bar started rolling down my back and it didn't count...I WAS PISSED. Then on the Bench, I had 540lbs almost all the way up, I was struggling but it was moving, and I caught a major cramp in my hamstring lol. So I ended up with 518lbs. I did 620 on Deads and stopped bc no use in continuing and taking chance of getting hurt when I had no shot of getting my total.

So I took a month off to clear my head and have been hitting it hard and incorporating more cardio. Next meet is tentatively scheduled for April in Cleveland TN. I will be going for a 900lb squat, 550lb Bench and 650 DL. If I do that meet, I will let y'all know in case any of y'all are close and wanna come by or get together that Friday and eat.

I finished the year in a disappointing 26th overall total in the SHW. If I got my numbers, I finish 10th.

Keep Training and have fun.

I may be close by around that time. 😎

Wow this thread died. Lol

Well in an attempt to give a little life , In the midst of prepping for my first powerlifting meet and I’ve torn my psoas. So that’s now on hold. Smh

Yes, I am basically useless (there too lol) . I had to order a stand up desk for my office Bc something as simple sitting is very uncomfortable.

I'm trying a new philosophy out. I've always liked hypertrophy, but these guys put a new spin on it. Their claim is that basically everybody over-trains. The theory is that over-training is better than not working out, so you still see results, especially if you have great genetics or "supplements", but going to failure all the time inhibits gains.

They claim to back this with science. I haven't done the research to validate this, but I haven't given them any money, so I haven't taken the time yet. I'm just excited to put a new tweak on my workout, especially since I will be reducing session time and won't be exhausting myself so much.

So my 7-day split looks like this:

Push
Legs
Pull
Push
Legs
Pull
Cardio

So as an example, on the 1st pull day, I hit upper back (7-8 total sets) and biceps (5 total sets).

On the 2nd pull day, I hit lower back (7-8 sets) and biceps (4 sets).

Whatever lifts I did on day 1 and day 2 in week 1, I repeat in weeks 2, 3, 4, and 5. In week 1, I do about 10 reps of a weight where I can leave about 4 reps in the tank. Week 2, I increase the weight a bit to where I can leave about 3 reps in the tank. Etc., until you get to week 5 when you go to failure.

The Hypertrophy Training Guide Central Hub - Renaissance Periodization

I've become very stagnant with my training. I'm visiting a Gold's Gym for the first time this weekend. I'm going through a career change and a possible divorce so training is my outlet. Looking to lose 8-10 pounds this spring/summer so I'm not exactly looking for a program tailored toward gaining mass/strength. Suggestions?

I've become very stagnant with my training. I'm visiting a Gold's Gym for the first time this weekend. I'm going through a career change and a possible divorce so training is my outlet. Looking to lose 8-10 pounds this spring/summer so I'm not exactly looking for a program tailored toward gaining mass/strength. Suggestions?

I have become a huge fan of the whole-body approach: I lift every other day, hitting every muscle group x 4 sets/cycles, with three different routines. The other days are for cardio -- run, bike, tennis, heavy bag+jump rope, or swim. Core/abs as often as you can, at least three days a week.

This schedule keeps me from ever getting so sore that I don't feel fresh for cardio, and I've actually gotten STRONGER than when I killed each muscle group with 12+ sets in a workout once a week.

VN Store

Back