The truth behind Joc Bruce

Ah, heh, I'm the one seeing the world in "monochrome." I live very comfortably today in a world of zero tolerance for physical violence. I've been retired a while now, and absolutely understand your perspective.

But, see, you're having real trouble understanding mine. Ours. The world of the football player, or the soldier, the world where physicality is the norm, whether you're helping each other over a wall, or double-teaming a block, or knocking some sense into each other.

I have no problem seeing the world in all its glorious colors. You, sir, do seem to be having a bit of trouble with that.

And BTW, you seem not to know much about or understand the UCMJ, either. I assure you assault is just as much an offense in it as in the laws of our civil society. It's just a question of being smart about whether and to what extent they should be enforced ... in both worlds.

Jason, or Josh, or Curt, or whoever straightened Joc Bruce out, did nothing wrong, nothing a young leader shouldn't do.

Great post!! If we ever meet I'm buying you a beer!

Reactions: 1 person
Joc acted like he was too big for his britches. One of the biggest WRs in college football adjusted them for him. Joc goes home with his tail between his legs. At least we'll always have the highlight of him laying out that Hardin valley kid

Ah, heh, I'm the one seeing the world in "monochrome." I live very comfortably today in a world of zero tolerance for physical violence. I've been retired a while now, and absolutely understand your perspective.

But, see, you're having real trouble understanding mine. Ours. The world of the football player, or the soldier, the world where physicality is the norm, whether you're helping each other over a wall, or double-teaming a block, or knocking some sense into each other.

I have no problem seeing the world in all its glorious colors. You, sir, do seem to be having a bit of trouble with that.

And BTW, you seem not to know much about or understand the UCMJ, either. I assure you assault is just as much an offense in it as in the laws of our civil society. It's just a question of being smart about whether and to what extent they should be enforced ... in both worlds.

Jason, or Josh, or Curt, or whoever straightened Joc Bruce out, did nothing wrong, nothing a young leader shouldn't do.[/QUOTE]

But I do understand, noting where the similarities begin and end by quoting your comment. Cooperative effort - team - is the fundamental of society itself and every institution within, and we've a legal construct for determining the boundaries and enforcing compliance.

I'm not confused re: UCMJ, nor spoke to it, but rather pointedly to our civil system. Where we find the most devolution of society is when persons are allowed to write their own rules or decide when they will be enforced, and we see that in both systems. Uniform application of law is the bulwark against fiefdoms.

A shoving match and heated words are one thing, physical abuse another. If you won't get to punch people not wearing a jersey, better learn the lesson while you are.

"Son, I waited to read all the responses from people, but you don't owe nobody no explaination at all cause ain't no of these people helping nor feeding you. Anybody with any knowledge of how racist UT is and how they do black local players understands anyway.. Keep your head high and know that certain things happen to GREAT people that are blessings in disguish. The hardest Battles produces the Best Diamonds

Apparently CBJ and UT are racist.

Except for the salient fact that hitting someone not in defense actually is *assault*. If I punch your wife or your father and they're not dead, have I assaulted them?

As I asked earlier, did you play football at any level? I assume you have not based on the statements you've made here today.

If you did play please specify as to which level, high school at least would be preferable.

Do any of you guys (or gals) listen to the Sports Animal? I was talking to a freind of mine about this and he pointed out that someone on the Sports Animal said something about a certain player having an attitude problem. I don't know who it was that said that on the Animal but was wondering if any of you heard that and what the source of the information might have been.

"Son, I waited to read all the responses from people, but you don't owe nobody no explaination at all cause ain't no of these people helping nor feeding you. Anybody with any knowledge of how racist UT is and how they do black local players understands anyway.. Keep your head high and know that certain things happen to GREAT people that are blessings in disguish. The hardest Battles produces the Best Diamonds

This seems like the only reasonable explanation. IMO. JMO.

Wow. I just realized. I have become SJT and Butchna. And owe them both a big apology.

Months ago, I made an innocent observation about how SJT and Butchna were both really bright guys, but once they started arguing with each other, it took over a thread and made the thing unreadable.

And I just realized I'm now doing the same thing.

My deepest apologies to these two gentlemen for ever judging them without walking in their shoes first, and to all VolNation for turning a thread about the J.Bruce situation into a debate over whether athletes and soldiers have analogous lives. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Been waiting for the stipulation that butchna is infallible and sjt washes my car...guess I'll take half a victory. :salute:

You continue to make assumptions. You have no idea of whether it was in self defense.

Decidedly, no; I made no assumption whatsoever, but simply stated that IF the player struck another not in defense, he should be gone. That was a reply to persons stating it was permissible as Croom was only/likely punishing some nebulous disrespect.

Circle of Life drills must drive you absolutely nuts.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong person, fixed now.

No, I rather enjoyed them when playing more than 35 years ago.

You might try making fewer assumptions about my experiences simply because I don't share your viewpoint.

Decidedly, no; I made no assumption whatsoever, but simply stated that IF the player struck another not in defense, he should be gone. That was a reply to persons stating it was permissible as Croom was only/likely punishing some nebulous disrespect.

Where do you teach?

High school or college?

Ah there it is...my goodness..

Where we find the most devolution of society is when persons are allowed to write their own rules or decide when they will be enforced, and we see that in both systems. Uniform application of law is the bulwark against fiefdoms.

A shoving match and heated words are one thing, physical abuse another. If you won't get to punch people not wearing a jersey, better learn the lesson while you are.

You, sir, are or were a poly sci or related (political philosophy, etc.) major, I divine. I studied poly sci at Indiana University while at grad school, recognize the terminology. Still a student, or now a professor / practitioner?

But allow me to correct your theory with some real world experience. In my military career, where I found the most devolution of society was in those places where the people made themselves powerless, allowing tyrants to usurp their rights. I speak of Haiti ... and of Somalia ... and of Afghanistan.

This isn't a 2nd Amendment pitch, I promise. But it is a statement about the importance of a people refusing to let themselves become soft and complacent, lest they be taken over by tyrants and find themselves unable to resist.

The best block to tyranny is a strong, self-reliant and informed populace.

Put another way: the rule of law protects us from anarchy, but only a vigilant people can protect the rule of law.

There, enough political philosophy from me.

Reactions: 4 people

Apparently, that is not the case anymore. It is now old school thinking to say that someone should be kicked off the team for punching someone. The Pacific Education Group (of San Francisco) works with public school systems all across the country. They teach educators that when an African-American student is late to class, shows disrespect by talking back or is hostile toward others you are supposed to make allowances for such things because that is part of their culture. If one player offends another and the other player punches said player for the disrespect, that should be tolerated. I am not kidding. Look up the Pacific Education Group. Don't shoot the messenger.

A college football player that has graduated high school the top dog on campus. Goes to college and gets into an altercation to where is isn't physically able to win the altercation....happens all the time. I think it says a lot of Bruce personally....he can't handle himself in that type of situation. Can't see what the problem was only run his jaws. Then when things get physical he is bullied or whatever you call it. He is not the type of player we need on the team personally. It's ok to be your own man and stand up for your beliefs but this just sounds like a spoiled brat not getting his way so he is taking his ball and going home...I hope he does well wherever he goes. I'm just glad he is gone. You need to do things the right way, the team way or deal with the consequences. I'm glad we have team leaders like we do now, it's about time. Grow up son. You are on a Div. 1 football team. Letting yourself be bullied is unacceptable. Talk it out if you can't fight it out. Get over it and move on. In the words of Curly Bill..... "Bye"!!

I didn't type that. I don't know what happened. I tried quoting fisher.

My apologies.

I've got 10 bucks that says fisher is a teacher/professor.

Because I don't condone assault? Again, you people are insane. I've earned a wage since I was 10, never working outside the private sector and never requesting or allowing a dime from anyone. I'd suggest what you can do to yourself for thinking you know me, but we've enough coarseness as is.

VN Store

Back