The truth behind Joc Bruce

and there the similarities end. Players are civilians subject to civilian code bringing us back to the illegitimacy of assault.

In this monochrome world of yours, must a person be a service member to speak of how their son is used or misused by the government's military policy? Or how their tax dollar is spent or misspent within same? Should only criminals sit in judgment of themselves? Or police and military subject to only their own review?

Drop the piety. It's a diversionary tactic that doesn't defend a monochrome perspective. Collegiate sports are for many young men (and women) the last chance society will have to impress temperance upon them. Your condoning assault will land them in prison once outside the insular walls of team football...or the military.

Ah, heh, I'm the one seeing the world in "monochrome." I live very comfortably today in a world of zero tolerance for physical violence. I've been retired a while now, and absolutely understand your perspective.

But, see, you're having real trouble understanding mine. Ours. The world of the football player, or the soldier, the world where physicality is the norm, whether you're helping each other over a wall, or double-teaming a block, or knocking some sense into each other.

I have no problem seeing the world in all its glorious colors. You, sir, do seem to be having a bit of trouble with that.

And BTW, you seem not to know much about or understand the UCMJ, either. I assure you assault is just as much an offense in it as in the laws of our civil society. It's just a question of being smart about whether and to what extent they should be enforced ... in both worlds.

Jason, or Josh, or Curt, or whoever straightened Joc Bruce out, did nothing wrong, nothing a young leader shouldn't do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
No, we treat murderers the best way we can because they had "mental issues." The kid isn't dead. It was apparently a punch to the jaw. People are too sensitive and will yell assault if someone breathes on them. Sick and tired of this wimpy ass generation

Except for the salient fact that hitting someone not in defense actually is *assault*. If I punch your wife or your father and they're not dead, have I assaulted them?

Collegiate sports are for many young men (and women) the last chance society will have to impress temperance upon them.

Circle of Life drills must drive you absolutely nuts.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong person, fixed now.

Last edited:
and there the similarities end. Players are civilians subject to civilian code bringing us back to the illegitimacy of assault.
Until you've walked the walk, you're not gonna be able to talk the talk.

I don't disrespect you, I just recognize that you're blind to this part of the world. I invite you to learn about it yourself, since you don't seem to be willing to learn about it from others.[/QUOTE]

In this monochrome world of yours, must a person be a service member to speak of how their son is used or misused by the government's military policy? Or how their tax dollar is spent or misspent within same? Should only criminals sit in judgment of themselves? Or police and military subject to only their own review?

Drop the piety. It's a diversionary tactic that doesn't defend an insular perspective. Collegiate sports are for many young men (and women) the last chance society will have to impress temperance upon them. Your condoning assault will land them in prison once outside the insular walls of team football...or the military.[/QUOTE]

HEY GUYS! FOUND THE PRESIDENT OF THE AV CLUB!

Are people just overlooking the fact that whoever hit Bruce is still with the team? Butch and the coaches handled the situation and only Bruce is gone. That says a lot about what happened.

All our says is the person who hit him was more valuable on the field than Bruce

Reactions: 1 person
Jason, or Josh, or Curt, or whoever straightened Joc Bruce out, did nothing wrong, nothing a young leader shouldn't do.
Sorry but that's pathetic. I have a very hard time believing this is the type of character building Butch is teaching

Wow. I just realized. I have become SJT and Butchna. And owe them both a big apology.

Months ago, I made an innocent observation about how SJT and Butchna were both really bright guys, but once they started arguing with each other, it took over a thread and made the thing unreadable.

And I just realized I'm now doing the same thing.

My deepest apologies to these two gentlemen for ever judging them without walking in their shoes first, and to all VolNation for turning a thread about the J.Bruce situation into a debate over whether athletes and soldiers have analogous lives. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Reactions: 1 person
Joc Bruce was involved in what could be called bullying.Jason Croom hit Joc extremely hard in his jaw reason behind it I dont know. But after that he complained of having headaches and a lot of discomfort. He told his mother about what happened which leads me to believe he was afraid. The coaches knew about this but his mother didn't follow up with them about the attack. The kid was let down by his mother as well as the coaching staff they did not protect him. I understand upperclassmen pick on the new guy but this was more. After this altercation he was late for class several times and was suspended and well deserved. But I do believe Joc being afraid of Croom played a major role in this. The mother and the coaches failed this kid. I didn't make this up I grew up with his mom. This is non bias thread so please don't take it as if I'm throwing anyone under the bus. 100% true info

...everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by _ _ ckless here.:thud:

Yes, because Butch has a history of keeping players around that are valuable to the team at the expense of others, right?

You have no clue what he'll do when given a private choice and the pressure to win. After all, his only job is to win football games

You have no clue what he'll dowhen given a private choice and the pressure to win. After all, his only job is to win football games

And you do? You're the one who said the only reason he's the one off the team is he's less valuable to the team. That's a pretty big assumption to make.

VN Store

Back