Tennessee Softball 2024

Being the dad of a daughter who started pitching at 10 years old and picked all the way through college. Pitchers don't need to hit after they get to high school. Pitching takes its toll on the body and the extra rest is needed for the legs and the arm and shoulder. My daughter was a good hitter and got to hit in middle school and travel ball. She was a better pitcher when she got to high school and college and focused only on pitching.
I don’t necessarily agree with that. A lot of great pitchers are also great hitters for example Jordy Bahl, Kelani Ricketts, Rachel Garcia, Danielle Lawrie, Sam Show, Oddici Alexander, Lauren Haeger just to name a few. It all comes down to time management not really overdoing one aspect. Granted the decision comes down to what the coach thinks they contribute the most to the team, but imo it doesn’t hurt to give a pitcher that opportunity because let’s say hey a pitcher can hit? that allows for some flexibility with the lineup as well as being another option off the bench if they aren’t pitching.

Yeah there is something going on why Brockenbrough isn’t getting any AB’s. At this point, I don’t think she will get any. I agree with you that the Leach girls are consistent. I think Sarvis has done well in practice or off season games and that’s why she gets the AB. No offense, but I think that Gabby needs to be batting instead of GK. She didn’t put that bat on the ball last year and she isn’t doing it as well as we need this year either.

At this point, Brockenbrough can't do any worse than some of the starters.

Being the dad of a daughter who started pitching at 10 years old and picked all the way through college. Pitchers don't need to hit after they get to high school. Pitching takes its toll on the body and the extra rest is needed for the legs and the arm and shoulder. My daughter was a good hitter and got to hit in middle school and travel ball. She was a better pitcher when she got to high school and college and focused only on pitching.
Majority of pitchers are this way. Every so often you get a unicorn like Keilani Ricketts or Garcia more recently. My personal preference is to let pitchers pitch and recruit better hitters.

Reactions: UT Challenger
That shows ignorance. Or it's just an excuse. Too many other teams do it and their pitchers don't get hurt. Seems like UT coaches don't know how to coach it.
Or they recruit you to pitch. Most pitchers are strong hitters in travel (unless PO) and high school. Not ignorance, if it’s agreed upon on the recruiting side as it gives the player the option to look elsewhere before they commit.

At this point, Brockenbrough can't do any worse than some of the starters.
Last year Brock was getting some key hits once she didn't have slap anymore. Katie Taylor too had some timely hits. You really can't have a baseball swing and be successful which has been proven out by a player on our team over time. The real question is why wasn't her swing worked on in two years? Our approach against Lynch was awful though she is hot right now. You cannot chase the inside rise with her which she did all day thinking we were going to hit it out. There was generally at least one pitch over the plate each at bat which we passively took to hack at the rise ball inside. Makes you wonder do we scout pitchers or just our approach is our approach and we don't change. Whatever it needs to get fixed before postseason or we may go home early with two of the best pitchers in softball.

Not all players are the same. Rachel Garcia emphatically showed that certain players can do both at an elite level. Valerie Cagle is another. Both POYs.

It is very rare, but it does happen.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Last year Brock was getting some key hits once she didn't have slap anymore. Katie Taylor too had some timely hits. You really can't have a baseball swing and be successful which has been proven out by a player on our team over time. The real question is why wasn't her swing worked on in two years? Our approach against Lynch was awful though she is hot right now. You cannot chase the inside rise with her which she did all day thinking we were going to hit it out. There was generally at least one pitch over the plate each at bat which we passively took to hack at the rise ball inside. Makes you wonder do we scout pitchers or just our approach is our approach and we don't change. Whatever it needs to get fixed before postseason or we may go home early with two of the best pitchers in softball.
Mid game interview Weekly talked about how they had an approach coming in and it was the right one no one really followed it imo.

Or they recruit you to pitch. Most pitchers are strong hitters in travel (unless PO) and high school. Not ignorance, if it’s agreed upon on the recruiting side as it gives the player the option to look elsewhere before they commit.

I’ll add to this. Just because a player hits well in high school or travel ball doesn’t mean that they are a college-level hitter. There is a significant jump.

And, as you say, I don’t see any room to complain as long as roles and expectations are thoroughly discussed before the player signs. And I’m sure these discussions take place. Otherwise, we’d see our starting pitchers transferring right and left.

I don’t necessarily agree with that. A lot of great pitchers are also great hitters for example Jordy Bahl, Kelani Ricketts, Rachel Garcia, Danielle Lawrie, Sam Show, Oddici Alexander, Lauren Haeger just to name a few. It all comes down to time management not really overdoing one aspect. Granted the decision comes down to what the coach thinks they contribute the most to the team, but imo it doesn’t hurt to give a pitcher that opportunity because let’s say hey a pitcher can hit? that allows for some flexibility with the lineup as well as being another option off the bench if they aren’t pitching.
I think the post you quoted is exactly correct. Our pitchers work so many innings and need the to rest their legs as much as possible. Many do not realize the toll pitching puts on pitchers legs. Tired legs is a big reason why they begin to lose speed and control in the later innings. Arms and shoulders are not stressed nearly as much pitching softball as with baseball. I played fast pitch softball as a teenager and our ace pitcher was in his 40s. He was un-hittable and he pitched a lot of innings. If fact, we was our only pitcher and continued to pitch into his mid 50s.

They can certainly be available to pinch hit on their off-days IMO.

But, if I’m the coach, and my ace pitcher is one of my nine best hitters…and she wants to hit…I’d hit her everyday unless it causes a noticeable drop off in her pitching.

A very rare group of players are able to excel at both.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
I swear I heard that also. Sh!t happens, lol
I said it and really believed it. Glad to be wrong and hope that it happens again today. If only Ole Miss could find some magic and win one from A&M. As it looks they appear to be the biggest enemy. Florida has SC today and then three with Georgia and three with A&M. The ideal would be for Florida to lose to Sc today and then three to Georgia. Then comeback and sweep A&M,

As for us we need to win six games out of the next 7 seven and it doesn't matter what any of them do. Five and we tie no matter what they do.

I said it and really believed it. Glad to be wrong and hope that it happens again today. If only Ole Miss could find some magic and win one from A&M. As it looks they appear to be the biggest enemy. Florida has SC today and then three with Georgia and three with A&M. The ideal would be for Florida to lose to Sc today and then three to Georgia. Then comeback and sweep A&M,

As for us we need to win six games out of the next 7 seven and it doesn't matter what any of them do. Five and we tie no matter what they do.
So far so good. 4-1 SC bot 2nd

My daughter threw 2900 pitches her senior year last year, while batting lead-off. This season in JUCO she's played centerfield and has been ecstatic about not having to do both...

Three double plays for SC vs Florida

Bottom of the 1st - UF Batting
EWallace grounded into double play 3b to 2b to 1b to 2b to 1b (1-2 KKB); Otis advanced to third, out on the play; Falby advanced to third, scored on a throwing error by 3b, unearned.E5-4-3TWallaceS. Mardjetko0

Bottom of the 2nd - UF Batting
Wallace grounded into double play 1b to c (0-1 K); Kowalewski out on the play.DP3WallaceA. Vawter1

Bottom of the 3rd - UF Batting
A. Brown grounded into double play 3b to 2b to 1b (3-2 BBKKB); Walsh out on the play.DP5-4-3A. BrownA. Vawter1

6-6 tied up top 5th

Bottom of the 4th - UF Batting
Wallace lined into double play 1b unassisted (2-2 BKBK); Otis out on the play.DP3UWallaceA. Vawter0
UF Inning Summary: 3 Runs, 4 Hits, 0 Errors, 1 LOB

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Really Karlyn???
UT Line Up
SpotPos# PlayerBatsAvg
1cf9 Kiki MilloyR.339
23b24 McKenna GibsonR.349
3dp11 Zaida PuniR.267
4lf5 Rylie WestR.350
5c7 Sophia NugentR.283
6rf3 Taylor PannellR.302
72b34 Destiny RodriguezR.257