Tennessee Softball 2024

anecwnrjcns12

Coming off a really successful season where we saw an SEC regular and tournament championship as well as a 3rd place finish at the WCWS to say that the expectations are high for this team is an understatement. I think that this probably has to be the most deep both offensively and defensively (outside of pitching) we have seen in a really long time.

Schedule: https://utsports.com/sports/softball/schedule/2024
Roster: 2024 Softball Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics

The schedule this season is definitely packed and strong once again with 17 tournament teams and 9 of those teams being played pre-SEC play. My guess is by the end of February we should be able to get a strong look at the type of team we are.

Graduating the loss of Goodloe and Rogers, the transfer of Beautae, and the retirement of Donihoo really will hurt the leadership aspect, however with 5 new additions to the team as well as plenty of experienced returners I expect us to be able to make a deep run again in the tournament. I think the biggest question this year will be the pitching and how Karen and staff decide to manage the 4 of them. The dark horse will be Orsini and Pickens. If Pickens can return to first half KP I think we will be just fine and if Orsini can step up and be able to eat up some midweeks and SEC innings that will be HUGE for KP and PG. As far as defensively and the lineup are concerned you have a lot of options on where people can play which is a very good thing as injuries and illnesses may arise during the year.

I have not been able to see the team in the fall, but based on my opinion I think the field lineup goes as:
1B: Gibson
2B: Mealer
SS: Faw
3B: Pannell
C: Nugent
LF: West
CF: Milloy
RF: Koutsoyanopulos

I put Pannell at 3B because I am not sure on Puni's status concerning her surgery and if she will be 100% by season. You could easily make the case for Brockenbrough, Rodriguez, Taylor, Keene, Ahlin, and both leach twins to see the field as well.

In terms of the pitching the staff it'll obviously be PG and KP running the show, but I am intrigued to see if KP has expanded her game both in the circle and mentally as well.

Good post, star points to you for spelling out G's last name instead of the shortcut. Going to be an interesting season with TX and the big monster OK in the league. Goal is to get back to the CWS however you can.

Good post, star points to you for spelling out G's last name instead of the shortcut. Going to be an interesting season with TX and the big monster OK in the league. Goal is to get back to the CWS however you can.
Texas and Oklahoma don’t join until next season. Still the 13-team conference this year.

Happy New Year everyone! Really looking forward to this upcoming season. With a third big arm we’d be scary, hopefully our staff can combine to pick up the bulk of Ashley’s 20 wins. I think Taylor and Bella can handle the left side just fine, always worried about a throwing shoulder surgery, hopefully Zaida healing well and can start season as DP at the least. OF depth is crazy good, after Kiki who will be a POY candidate again, the OF corners will be competitive. After watching them in the fall, the Leach twins will battle our returners for PT.

What's the deal with Baylor? 3 games weekend series?
There wasn’t a tournament that worked for Tennessee’s schedule for opening weekend, so they elected to go with a single game at UTA and then a three game series at Baylor. Gives them a good RPI test and a preview of what they’ll face in conference from a three-game series standpoint.

There wasn’t a tournament that worked for Tennessee’s schedule for opening weekend, so they elected to go with a single game at UTA and then a three game series at Baylor. Gives them a good RPI test and a preview of what they’ll face in conference from a three-game series standpoint.
Any chance of the Baylor series being on ESPN + ?

RE Mealer: How does somebody who hit nearly .500 for a Southern California travel team (So Cal Athletics) end up at Middle Tennessee?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Any chance of the Baylor series being on ESPN + ?
Almost certainly. That was another factor in the scheduling.

Although I will not make any road trips until after basketball season, we will have an audio broadcast on utsports.com and the Tennessee Athletics app for every game again this season. The radio schedule will pick up with the start of SEC play on the Sports Animal in Knoxville as well.

VN Store

Back