Once and For All: The Fulmer Debate Ends Here

Should Phillip Fulmer Have Been Fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And his critics are still pretending that 13-12 since his departure is a magical achievement while 39-24 in his last five years was just "awful."

29-21 his last 4 years.

No Bowls 2 of his last 4 years while his successors are batting 1000.

Fulmer was referring to the basketball team I am sure... Judging by how many SEC titles he had his last 10 years I am sure he wasn't talking football because it was obvious he didn't know how to win the league.

I love how people still hang on National and SEC titles that were won 12/13 years ago. Get over it! The game passed Field Goal Phil by and UT is better off for the future.

Judging by the freshman impact players, it seems he's a better judge of talent as well.

Because it's not like Bray, James, Fulton, Smith, Gordon, Hunter, Rogers, etc. were evaluated and recruited by Kiffin is it? Oh wait....

All Dooley did was seal the deal with Rogers, make Hunter publicize his commitment, and land some guys who weren't takes under Kiffin like Propst and Sapp (who look to be solid).
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm still waiting for a comparable analogue in the annals of the NCAA for Jonathan Crompton.

We gave you Arkansas QB Casey Dick a long time ago. Nutt managed to win his division with him at the helm, which is evidently the greatest achievement a coach can hope for.

Fulmer was abused by Spurrier his last season here. His two wins consisted of one game that saw us catch two botched SC INTs for TDs and the other saw Arian Foster fumble forward to avoid the loss. This was the strongest SC team Spurrier has fielded. They'd have smashed us and won the East. It's not like we were a lock to beat Florida, either.

Because it's not like Bray, James, Fulton, Smith, Gordon, Hunter, Rogers, etc. were evaluated and recruited by Kiffin is it? Oh wait....

All Dooley did was seal the deal with Rogers, make Hunter publicize his commitment, and land some guys who weren't takes under Kiffin like Propst and Sapp (who look to be solid).

Almost all of those are Dooley / Fulmer recruits.

Rest my case.

Bray and Jackson are the two outstanding contributions by Kiffin. One per recruiting class -- what a clip! :thumbsup:

(And who doubts choruses firing up the Worley Wagon! erupt circa October 2011 on VN????)

We gave you Arkansas QB Casey Dick a long time ago. Nutt managed to win his division with him at the helm, which is evidently the greatest achievement a coach can hope for.

Not even remotely in the ballpark much less an analog / analogue....

Not necessarily hatred but did you catch the point of this thread?

I am typically just an observer of this site I rarely post, and the concept behind this thread was not something that was beyond my reach. My thoughts on Fulmer are that he took this team to the pinnacle of college football, and VERY few coaches can say that. His time passed and he needed to go. The way some people talk about him these days is like he intenionally ran the program into the ground, and that is what irks me.

This X1000

You cannot deny the truth. Fulmer's biggest blunder was hanging on to Ainge too long. That decision singlehandedly set this program back 10 years.

Yup, it was obvious to me. It was like watching a slow motion trainwreck, one that you can't stop.

seriously?? I would have given anything to have an Erik Ainge from 08-10. Please explain...

Not me. I was ecstatic when he finally graduated.

As far as an explanation, for me it comes down to Phil held on to Ainge even after had proven himself a supreme chokester. He would play well until under pressure, then he would fold. Like clockwork. And the team saw it and realized what was going on.

Phil, though, had to hold onto Ainge, even though all the evidence pointed to benching him, once and for all.

It was a classic mistake, and it tore the team apart. It was the catalyst that finally sent our program in a downward spiral.

Yup, it was obvious to me. It was like watching a slow motion trainwreck, one that you can't stop.

Not me. I was ecstatic when he finally graduated.

As far as an explanation, for me it comes down to Phil held on to Ainge even after had proven himself a supreme chokester. He would play well until under pressure, then he would fold. Like clockwork. And the team saw it and realized what was going on.

Phil, though, had to hold onto Ainge, even though all the evidence pointed to benching him, once and for all.

It was a classic mistake, and it tore the team apart. It was the catalyst that finally sent our program in a downward spiral.

If Ainge had been playing at any of the other 120+ Division I schools, he would have never seen the playing field again after 2005 LSU.

I'll tell you another mistake Fulmer made along those lines... bringing back Cutcliffe knowing good and damn well that he wasn't going to be a long term fix and was going to be out the door on the first thing hot. There was no succession plan or no Plan B when Cutcliffe left. Fulmer had to scramble for close to a month before he settled on Clawson. Getting turned down by the likes of Kippy Brown.

I was referring to basically their program this past decade. It's not like Chavis resurrected their program.

Didn't claim that; said the defensive coordinator you were blasting as terrible has the most impressive turnaround in the SEC in defense over the last two seasons of any DC this decade in the SEC.

29-21 his last 4 years.

No Bowls 2 of his last 4 years while his successors are batting 1000.

29-21 is still better than 13-12. Didn't know you now defined success by bowl appearance. (I am impressed by your shifting-like-sand standards of success.) FYI -- Fulmer managed NYE/NYD bowl games 15 out of 17 seasons. We're batting 1 for 2 since he left.

29-21 is still better than 13-12. Didn't know you now defined success by bowl appearance. (I am impressed by your shifting-like-sand standards of success.) FYI -- Fulmer managed NYE/NYD bowl games 15 out of 17 seasons. We're batting 1 for 2 since he left.

You know how unimpressive that is? Jesus, Tennessee was pretty close to being invited to a New Years Day bowl this year.

I don't I measure success by Bowls. I decided to sink to your mediocre standards. The fact there has been numerous Coaching vacancies since his firing and not 1 has expressed any interest tells me everything I need to know about his coaching abilities and how his abilities are viewed by the football world.

exactly what is hambone's standard?

Hamilton is on record as saying his expectations at Tennessee are to win at least two SEC Championships during a 10-year period and get to the SEC title game every three or four years, as well as play in BCS bowls with some regularity.

Hamilton is on record as saying his expectations at Tennessee are to win at least two SEC Championships during a 10-year period and get to the SEC title game every three or four years, as well as play in BCS bowls with some regularity.

Sure doesn't hire and retain coaches like he expects to meet or exceed those expectations

Almost all of those are Dooley / Fulmer recruits.

Rest my case.

Bray and Jackson are the two outstanding contributions by Kiffin. One per recruiting class -- what a clip! :thumbsup:

(And who doubts choruses firing up the Worley Wagon! erupt circa October 2011 on VN????)

James, Bray, Hunter, Fulton, Gordon, Jackson, Teague, Miller, King. That is not 2.

He left us in a lurch. He tried to steal recruits on the way out. He is a classless dog. He gets no credit for anything.

VN Store

Back