Once and For All: The Fulmer Debate Ends Here

Should Phillip Fulmer Have Been Fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess you didn't realize that the decade consists of more than 2007 and 2008. But seeing as you still support Fulmer, you were probably sleeping through most of it.

So, when you said this 2010 LSU defense had gobs of talent, you were referring to their 2004 players. Got it.

Fortunately, those are not the standards of the University of Tennessee and unfortunately for Fulmer, those are not the standards of any other program in the country.

So every program in the country considers a season a total failure if they don't win their conference title? And you think it's Fulmer that's delusional?

Fulmer benefitted from a series of great asst. coaches and a string of great players recruited by those coaches. I think his record was 5-25 aginst top 25 teams and he had a losing record to UF and Bama. Didn't like him then and still don't.

Fulmer screwed himself keeping Ainge for so many years. He tore the program in half with that stupid SH*t.

This X1000

You cannot deny the truth. Fulmer's biggest blunder was hanging on to Ainge too long. That decision singlehandedly set this program back 10 years.

You've obviously not followed his posting history. He speaks of Ainge the way most people speak about STDs.

I haven't. I guess its not worth asking, I thought Ainge was really solid in '06-'07. He just had a bad SEC championships game.

Anyone who watched the season with any objectivity would come to the same conclusion as Fulmer.

Had Fulmer been retained, we certainly would have challenged, and probably gone to the SECCG.

Anyone who watched the season with any objectivity would come to the same conclusion as Fulmer.

Had Fulmer been retained, we certainly would have challenged, and probably gone to the SECCG.

and had Kiffin come back this year, we would have won the national championship....

Not at all saying he was better than DD. Simply making what I believe is a valid point that if he had stayed the roster would not be so depleted (caused by 3 coaches in 3 years) and by Kiffin trying to steal recruits. With East as low this year Vols would have been competitive if Fulmer stayed or IMO if we had hired DD one year earlier and avoided Kiffin disaster. In 17 years Fulmer never had two bad years in a row; and it is reasonable assumption he would not have had three straight.

Still it was time to move on, and I hope DD can take us back to the top. Just wish he had been hired one year earlier, and we would be much closer by now.

Outstanding points. Solid.

And not rocket science. Any objective observer of the season would have noticed: 1. we give Oregon a game if we have JUST ONE person - Gerald Jones, 2. We beat Florida and LSU on the day with a proper roster, etc.

We also forget we would have gone bowling in the down year of 2008 and won 9 games in 2009 without the Hambone Experiment.

It's done now though. Hambone still needs to pay; as soon as he is axed it is truly water under the bridge.

and had Kiffin come back this year, we would have won the national championship....

Unlikely. As I've been saying for a long time:

2009 - 7 wins is double-bogey.

2010 - 6 wins was par.

Dooley is clearly a better coach than CLK. Judging by the freshman impact players, it seems he's a better judge of talent as well.

Who would be his QB and how do you know they would not have a season of Vapor Lock (your standard excuse for Fulmer's failings)?

VN Store

Back