Once and For All: The Fulmer Debate Ends Here

Should Phillip Fulmer Have Been Fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
vegas

the hard part about making a comparison to people who came after fulmer is that players transfer and there is turmoil following a coaching change in most cases.

to judge kiffin or dooley against fulmer is absurd considering that they had to work with what they inherited.

they haven't had time to have a roster of their players and put the stamp on their program.

fulmer had two teams in his last four not go bowling. do you know how damn hard it is in this day and age to not go to a bowl game.

florida couldn't snap the football and they are playing on new year's day.

Would you rather have 3 good seasons with 2 bad seasons, or five mediocre seasons? Fulmer's last 5 years was the former. The post-Fulmer era is off to an unpromising start; what is most significant is how strikingly similar it is to the 15 years on the hill before Fulmer took over the offense and recruiting. I'd wager UT stays far closer to the pre-Fulmer era than it does to the Fulmer era, even if we only measured Fulmer's last 5 or 10 year time period on the hill.

Wyoming was a symptom of his firing. Tell us about the last ten years of his tenure and how many titles of any sort he accomplished during that time.

I don't measure success as title-or-bust, nor do I discount a season merely because it lacks a title.

Maybe someone will hire him and he can quit whining about getting let go. Two years and no one has come forward to hire him and there have been lots of openings...Some good ones out there now...Florida, Vandy, Miami..and others.....He could teach the crowd how to clap.

"We would've been in the Championship Hunt.....we would've been in the Championship Game this year, the rest of the East was so bad."

2ed5jwi.gif

I don't measure success as title-or-bust, nor do I discount a season merely because it lacks a title.
So I must gather that you don't consider winning in a sports environment to be a goal. Now I understand your milk toast outlook on life.

Maybe someone will hire him and he can quit whining about getting let go. Two years and no one has come forward to hire him and there have been lots of openings...Some good ones out there now...Florida, Vandy, Miami..and others.....He could teach the crowd how to clap.

Clapping like Heck! I don't understand why we didn't win, they practiced well? Duh? Yeah, but did you DEVELOP players, coaches? That would be a negative!:banghead2:

Yet you continue to trumpet the "seccg every three years since 97". If it isn't important, why bring it up? It is important which is why Fulmer is sitting in a booth and not getting any coaching offers. Why does Fulmer continue to get snubbed for coaching gigs? Look at your own research for win/loss record vs top 25 teams. Is that what you want leading our team? Seriously?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So the 2007 and 2008 LSU defenses were "far better" than this year? Guess you must have missed LSU those years...

LSU's Scoring Defense
post-Pelini, pre-Chavis
2007 5th SEC
2008 12th SEC
Chavis
2009 3rd SEC
2010 2nd SEC

You can count, right?
I guess you didn't realize that the decade consists of more than 2007 and 2008. But seeing as you still support Fulmer, you were probably sleeping through most of it.

Fortunately, those are not the standards of the University of Tennessee and unfortunately for Fulmer, those are not the standards of any other program in the country.

I can believe it. He bounced back from his first sub-par season, no reason to think he couldn't have bounced back from the second.

Disclaimer: I am not a Fulmerite, just voicing my opinion.

Fulmer has convinced himself that his firing was not because his performance was unacceptable. It is called self-delusion. I was one of the biggest supporters of him getting a legit shot at turning it around. He failed and in such a way that UT was in a serious roster/recruiting hole.

Notably, even he thought UT would be in the CG because everyone else was so bad and not because his team would have been good. OTOH, he still doesn't see the direction his program was headed. In that "recovery year" you referenced, UT was hammered by UF and Bama. They got in mostly because UF was too young to handle their more difficult schedule.

All good points. CDD proved that it's not that hard to lose to ranked opponents and win out in November. With much less talent and depth, I might add.

I wish he would get over it and stop with the bitterness. It seems like he is saying that he is better than CDD, since he is saying he would have done better. What would he have done differently than CDD?
I don't see/hear that at all. I think he is of the opinion that the turmoil caused by his firing and the turmoil caused by Lame Kitten caused the team to be unable to compete for the title in a fairly weak division. I think that is accurate. It isn't Dooley's fault and he didn't indicate that it was.

John Majors called and said if he was still coach we would be competing for the national championship this year and would have 5 national championships by now.....

VN Store

Back