Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

Awfully quick. This had to be in works . I have been recruiting for over 20 years and it just seems fast

Signed no players this year at Marshall. Has stated direct quote "recruiting is not my strength and I have to learn how to do that at the division 1 level." Her star player left the team 6 games into the season to join another team. Has played one ranked team in her career as a head coach - and lost that game by 43 points. Doesn't scream excitement to me.
Its great to see someone who can identify their weaknesses and take steps to strengthen them.

Reactions: Raebo and knoxvol52
So you are using a single game. Absolutely nothing impressive about the entire season preceding that game?

Also, Butch got pummeled by Dooley. It wasn't going to end well
The conferences is a mid-major not the SEC or one of the other majors.

So I share massive concerns that others seem to have here.

I will say on the positive side of things, her teams do at least have an identity which is something we have sorely missed. Also seems to have a personality that will hopefully attract recruits here that Kelly did not seem to have.

But to say this hire is a risk is a dramatic understatement

It's a huge stick your neck out hire--and at time when he REALLY, REALLY needs to get it right. Our proud women's program has been mediocre for 15 years. White's going to be a hero or a complete horse's a$$ if she falters. He's trying to talk up how "innovative" she is. She's not going to do anything that hasn't been seen for years in basketball. Everybody hoists up threes these days--and the press has been around for ages. Don't ask me why, but I don't think White had any intention of trying to hire an established coach along the lines of Kentucky hiring Brooks away from Va. Tech--a hire that looks smart. This hire looks....baffling.

How many of the current players stay and whether any top players suddenly decide they want to transfer to Tennessee will determine the outcome based on this hire.

Very underwhelming hire.
Also a fun note, Anastasia Hayes sister, Ashlynn, plays at Marshall right now.

How many of the current players stay and whether any top players suddenly decide they want to transfer to Tennessee will determine the outcome based on this hire.

Very underwhelming hire.
Most will probably stay, she doesn’t have players that will take their spot so they will get big time minutes here, they don’t have many options elsewhere.

I remember when M Mitchell coached KY his teams pressed and shot the 3 guard heavy. Gave every body they played fits reaching couple Elite 8. Now with Portal you can players immediately. Now fans have been talking all year about how Athletic Cooper and Boyd are well guess what they can flourish much more in this system than Kellie system. In CHRIST Alone

I will say on the positive side of things, her teams do at least have an identity which is something we have sorely missed. Also seems to have a personality that will hopefully attract recruits here that Kelly did not seem to have.

Other than the pressure cooker atmosphere at Tennessee, recruiting is going to be a major challenge for Caldwell. To date, she hasn't recruited any top 100 players much less any top 10 players. Unless and until Caldwell gets elite players she won't win big in the SEC. Frankly, she might not win much at all in 2024-25 without a significant personnel upgrade.

Does anyone realistically believe that her press and mass substitution system will work against good SEC teams much less elite ones like South Carolina, Texas, and LSU?

Signed no players this year at Marshall. Has stated direct quote "recruiting is not my strength and I have to learn how to do that at the division 1 level." Her star player left the team 6 games into the season to join another team. Has played one ranked team in her career as a head coach - and lost that game by 43 points. Doesn't scream excitement to me.
Wow.

Surely she was taken out of context.

Last edited:
Other than the pressure cooker atmosphere at Tennessee, recruiting is going to be a major challenge for Caldwell. To date, she hasn't recruited any top 100 players much less any top 10 players. Unless and until Caldwell gets elite players she won't win big in the SEC. Frankly, she might not win much at all in 2024-25 without a significant personnel upgrade.

Does anyone realistically believe that her press and mass substitution system will work against good SEC teams much less elite ones like South Carolina, Texas, and LSU?
How about the people that said we have a good enough roster, it’s just the coach that needed to change. So we will see if she can get us to a final four with this roster.

Reactions: Heartlandvol
Caldwell can coach at a high level and develop players. But recruiting is the life's blood of any program. She has got to be able to recruit good players to be successful. Plus she needs talented portal players who can make an instant impact. She's facing a huge challenge. I'm sure Danny is already assembling a recruiting staff to help her. But will it be enough. Vols supporters need to pump $$$s into the NIL pot to help.

Caldwell can coach at a high level and develop players. But recruiting is the life's blood of any program. She has got to be able to recruit good players to be successful. Plus she needs talented portal players who can make an instant impact. She's facing a huge challenge. I'm sure Danny is already assembling a recruiting staff to help her. But will it be enough. Vols supporters need to pump $$$s into the NIL pot to help.
Well the rumors on here are Nil is finally here, so that’s not an excuse to be used anymore.

VN Store

Back