Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

he’s saying he needed an elite home run hire. what he hired was a good coach, but nowhere near elite.

No that’s not what he said, he said she was a great coach, but not what UT needed. He doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

We're gonna see an efficient offense and a smothering defense wearing orange & white. Reminds me of Bruce Pearl's defenses when he first got here.
Soon as she gets some players in here that are quick enough. Wynn is, Cooper may be, Wells may be. Spear borderline. We need a big post and big, quicker forwards.

like most, her coaching isn’t what bothers me. i’m sure she’s a hell of a coach. she kinda has to be to do as much as she did in y1 at marshall, but her recruiting is a HUGE question mark. you can coach as good as you want, but if she can’t bring in top 10 classes every year, she wasn’t the right choice. that’s what we need if we want to be great again.
People don’t understand it’s About the players, and I doubt she will be able to get the elite recruits, she might get one that’s overrated like Pissot and people will be excited but not me.

We'll see what kind of NIL budget CKC gets this season to shore up the myriad roster holes, and (despite her acknowledging that recruiting is not her strong suit) girls will be interested in coming to a legacy program with a competent coach after she shows out in '24-'25.

Which comes first, Caldwell showing out in 2024-25, or recruits being interested in coming to Tennessee? To begin with, Caldwell will need to convince players to stay. That itself may be an uphill battle. And, by her own admission, recruiting is a weakness for her.

The comparison with Kentucky and Kenny Brooks is apt exactly because he came in ahead of the curve with an All American, a highly promising freshman post, and several recruits added for the 2024-25 season. That's what you get with an established, high visibility, coach.

It's possible that Kim Caldwell is going to become a legendary basketball coach. The problem is that she is coming into a historic program with a passionate fanbase that has the highest expectations and more than a decade of not meeting those expectations. She is literally going to be under extreme pressure from the get-go. So, the situation is far different than the one she stepped into at Marshall.

As a final point, her system requires players with superior conditioning vis-a-vis the opposition. Does anyone believe that the Lady Vols have or will have more athletic and better conditioned players than the rest of the SEC for the 2024-25 season?

Her resume is great.
Kim Caldwell, the first-year head coach of Marshall University, was named the 2024 Spalding® Maggie Dixon NCAA Division I Rookie Coach of the Year by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA).

Reactions: knoxvol52
So I share massive concerns that others seem to have here.

I will say on the positive side of things, her teams do at least have an identity which is something we have sorely missed. Also seems to have a personality that will hopefully attract recruits here that Kelly did not seem to have.

But to say this hire is a risk is a dramatic understatement

"Hey, kid, come here."

"Yea?"

"How old are you?"

"Fourteen."

"Fourteen. That's young--but I've noticed the way you cut grass in the neighborhood. You're innovative, fast-paced. You seem to
have spunk. I like spunk."

"I guess."

"I need somebody to cut my grass, Can you do it?"

"Sure."

"Great. And, oh yea, my wife and I are going out of town for a week. Cut the grass, and keep an eye on my house, would you?

"OK."

"Do that--and you can drive my car. Here are the keys."

"Thanks, sir! Wow...A BMW! Wait 'till my friends see me!"

wonder what assistants she will have, May have some good assistants lined up guess we will see
It’s more than likely going to be the same staff from Marshall. I don’t see a lot of top assistants at top programs sticking their necks out for a brand new coach until she starts winning, unless someone that has been let go recently like RG for football.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Am I the only one excited by this? All she does is win.

Caldwell is 217-31 in eight seasons as a head coach -- earning eight NCAA berths across two divisions and winning seven total conference championships. Marshall was picked to finish ninth in the preseason Sun Belt media poll, but under Caldwell, the Thundering Herd averaged 85.3 points per game (fourth nationally) and forced 24.2 turnovers per game (second nationally).
While that is the case, her winning in D2 and winning in a tiny D1 conference, major difference coming to SEC and TN.

VN Store

Back