Official Jon Gruden Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I like is the media announcing ASU has hired Edwards and then saying he hasn't coached college in 29 years but what a great hire it was.

What's the difference in that and Gruden coaching college ball when the first thing the media wants to say is "Gruden hasn't coached college in Blah blah years."

I think it comes down to whether or not he could prove it and I'd bet folding money that there's no paper trail directly implicating anyone.

Understood, but again, I don't know how he thinks, but it just seems to me even if he could prove it, it could damage him as much as anyone.

I just don't see him playing that card. I think he's done for this round, hopefully for good.

The insatiable hunger for leaks is amazing. Here, I'll help....

VojUNVr.gif

Reactions: 1 person
You are insane. If Conference champion is the criteria we are looking at, USC was a 2 loss conference champion with a stronger strength of schedule and they’re not even in the conversation. Bama is a better team than OSU, and the point of the playoff is to put the best 4 on the field. Not only should they be in, they should be a 2 seed.

I will take insane any day over your lack of reading comprehension skills and total irrationality. I was not inferring that it would be the only criteria, but should have some value.

I should have left it at the first sentence. I didn't mean to be offensive. I'm simply hoping to return Tennessee football to a time before people like Ainge were a part of the program. Think you can read into what I'm saying there. JMO though.

SIAP... You realize ainge was the last Vol qb to beat the gators in the swamp.... Right?

I’ve gotta say this regarding Leach. Thank God he didn’t get hired. He’s a freakin’ weirdo and the thought of him on the Jumbotron beside Phil and General Neyland grosses me out. Screw his offense. I don’t care how good it is, he’s so goofy, he’d be an embarrassment to me. Don’t try to convince me otherwise. I know the numbers and stats and they are great. I just think he’s a freak and I don’t want a freakin guy who thinks he was a pirate in another life coaching our team. <rant done>

Reactions: 4 people
I think all of the Miles chatter serves several purposes.

Fulmer and Miles are friends, and Miles does desperately want to return to coaching, somewhere. Circulating his name helps Miles, and is low risk for UT because Miles is a more respected name to float around your program, than Doeren or Schiano.

We do need a check-down option if Gruden says no. Miles is a safety valve in this sense. Yeah, he's not electrifying, but he checks boxes for us, and could win big with an electric staff.

Finally, leaking hot and heavy Miles discussions is a message to Gruden: don't play around with us. We are serious about hiring him, but Fulmer is not going to woo him or stroke his ego just for fun. All of this Miles chatter tells Gruden "hey, you've got our offer, decide or we move on to someone who WANTS to be here, now."

Morning thoughts.

This is exactly why my Grudometer is falling. Gruden wants to be woo'd. Not Fulmers style.

I think all of the Miles chatter serves several purposes.

Fulmer and Miles are friends, and Miles does desperately want to return to coaching, somewhere. Circulating his name helps Miles, and is low risk for UT because Miles is a more respected name to float around your program, than Doeren or Schiano.

We do need a check-down option if Gruden says no. Miles is a safety valve in this sense. Yeah, he's not electrifying, but he checks boxes for us, and could win big with an electric staff.

Finally, leaking hot and heavy Miles discussions is a message to Gruden: don't play around with us. We are serious about hiring him, but Fulmer is not going to woo him or stroke his ego just for fun. All of this Miles chatter tells Gruden "hey, you've got our offer, decide or we move on to someone who WANTS to be here, now."

Morning thoughts.

Sorry, but I wish I hadn't read this.

Reactions: 3 people
Just what I've read. I know meeting was scheduled for Tuesday. Could it have moved up? Sure.

Fulmer disappeared yesterday. Media was scrambling trying to find him. Makes sense to me, but it's pure speculation.

I'm guessing but I would think Gruden would attend the NYC awards dinner.

Whatever happened to John Harbaugh supposedly reaching out to UT? Fake news or UT had no interest? If it was fact, Fulmer would be wise to at least talk to him.

my thing with morris has little to do with smu.
clemson hasn't missed a beat since he left. if anything, they've improved a little ... at least in appears that way.

with, and without, watson at QB.

jmo tifwiw bbq

all true. and he wasn't around for this run. but he did have a big hand in bringing a lot of those players to the upstate, including Watson.

but, is it definitely worth noting, sure.

i'd also just add that what really got them over the hump nationally speaking was getting the defense to the level it is now. you're right, offense hasn't been an issue for them, before or after.

Then start the “Offical Encompasses all things about the coaching search thread”

Now see, folks. This is what we call "reading impaired." Seems like someone can't actually see that there have been almost as many mentions of Les Miles as Gruden so far. This is what we also call "seeing what they want and nothing else."

Instead of bringing discussion, posters like this just throw crap out there in a vain hopes of trolling. They offer nothing of substance to any discussion and just post to either pad a post count or push you into an argument.

Don't be that guy/gal.

Reactions: 3 people
Fulmer is/was a coach. So IMO I think he is putting together a whole staff, not just a HC. He now has full control of the program, like Saban. So he could be setting up whoever he wants in the key positions and telling whomever he decides to bring in as HC these are you options. Its a good list....

Not meant in a negative way. I just feel Fulmer might still feel like its his program, which it is, just different people that we will hopefully not be calling for their heads in a couple of years.

Again, this is all my opinion.

This is exactly why my Grudometer is falling. Gruden wants to be woo'd. Not Fulmers style.

And you know what? Everything else aside, Gruden HAS been wooed, like no other coaching candidate ever has in history. He's been offered absolutely unprecedented combinations of control and money to coach at Tennessee.

Revoke my Gruden Card if you want, but if he wants to be "wooed" MORE than what we've laid out for him up to now, he is crazier than Mike Leach and Les Miles combined, and we don't need him near our program.

I think today is Decision Day for Jon Gruden.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back