Official Jon Gruden Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
And before we get started, a public service announcement...

This is not just a thread about Gruden. It encompasses all things coaching search related and is an awesome conduit to pass on information along those lines. For those that feel the need to step in and say "Why are these threads still going?/You people are stupid!/Please just let this die!" please refrain.

It's very simple. If you can't read about a page and see what's going on, please leave without comment. It does you no good to say such things without knowing the depth of what we discuss in here. It's like 70% OT, 15% Alcohol, 5% Coaching Search, 5% poking fun at each other and 5% Gruden.

Kindly read before posting and enjoy the ride.

Cheers.

Then start the “Offical Encompasses all things about the coaching search thread”

Reactions: 3 people
yeah, one would hope/think they might have thought about the real ramification of doing what they did. how much insulation does Fulmer have...really? and how willing would haslam be to tear it all down, and really watch it burn, just b/c he didn't get his way.........

my gut says nothing much happens. but what do i know, i'm not a billionaire.:eek:lol:

Yea, I don't know how Haslam thinks either, but like someone just posted, it was a rumor that had been brought up about Haslam paying players.

I would think that would be his last "bullet" in this "battle/war", and I believe it would hurt him more than it would benefit him.

Jmo of course.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm here. I was confident in a Tuesday meeting...that hasn't changed, except to sat that it may have moved up based upon yesterday's secretive movements by Fulmer.

I'm happy...no predictions, but it looks like things are progressing.

I have no information besides what I've read. But the NYC meeting makes the most sense. Fulmer, Tennessee boosters, and Gruden will all be in attendance. Phil couldn't wait around doing nothing for 3 days. Must have a plan B, C, etc. That's negotiation 101.

Miles, Morris, Steel...it's a good list?

If we helped fight off Currie and Haslam for that, we have been had.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Fulmer is going to really disappoint with this hire. I think Davenport really only brought in Phil to subdue the anarchy of this fanbase.

I hope I am completely wrong but I don’t have a good feeling about Bev and Phil.

I know, I know... I’ll stfu and see myself out until I come back to my senses.

Sadly my faith is wavering. I am with you on this and I hope to be WAY OFF. I just feel like we are hearing about these "comfortable" hires or at least interviews that would be as underwhelming as any I can think of. Obviously people in coaching circles know more than I do and I suppose I should trust that CPF doesn't want to fail but I have a hard time believing Miles or Steele would be a good get after all of this.

Reactions: 1 person
lets stick with the Fulmer is interviewing Grudens possible staff thought process. That one makes me happier.

Or, unlike Currie, is keeping a backup set of options ready. Green Peace might be at work here trying to screw things up with their anti-whaling.

I'm here. I was confident in a Tuesday meeting...that hasn't changed, except to sat that it may have moved up based upon yesterday's secretive movements by Fulmer.

*Edit: I don't put a lot of stock in Hubbs/VQ account of yesterday's itinerary.

'Boro, we heard that some meeting may have occurred yesterday, do you have anything that might agree with that ?

Here’s what i don’t understand. Why the secrecy surrounding Gruden now? He wanted to wait till the end of season. Fine. But why now? Why hasn’t even Phil put the Grumors to rest? Why hasn’t Gruden? Information is flowing like water regarding other coaching candidates. The way a normal search happens. Only 2 conclusions make sense to me: 1) Phil doesn’t want to embarrass the school anymore on a public scale so he won’t address what everyone all ready thought was a pipe dream. Gruden doesn’t want his name associated at all with TN because of how embarrassing last week was and how his current employer ripped us to shreds. Or 2) they have met and agreed and are just waiting till tomorrow to announce it. Either way, I’m ready for the Grumors to end.

Me too, Jay. It is time.

eh, i think he's be a little foolish not to go back and speak to some of the guys that went thru that last week, if nothing else but to get input. and who knows, maybe a situation change, changes a candidates perception.

Chad Morris wouldn't be a sexy hire, and i'm sure the torch and pitchfork crowd would be out.......maybe rightfully so.

but Morris isn't a bad coach at all. he probably jumped at a job he shouldn't have. he's basically devalued himself. he was really good at Clemson, and his players loved him.

all that said, i still think there are options. how many and to what extent, dunno. but if was willing to go out on a limb with Morris, i'd be also willing to take that same chance on Leach, Venebles, or a Miles/Marton combo.

Already got my pitchfork on deck for a potential Morris hire...

Grudemeter up 15 pts. to 20%

Something wrong with me.gif

ty sir.

Miles has around 3-5 years left to give. Steele would be fired within 3 years. Chad Morris had great offenses at Clemson but too much unknown, record shows Dooley 2.0.

i dunno. jesus spoke of no faith, little faith, and great faith. seems to me there can be varying degrees of faith, but faith nonetheless. just sayin' ...

:hi:

Also says that Faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains, but Faith doesnt live off constant reassurance. I see Faith as a tool. Keep speaking it and it will happen. Walk right into your promise etc. My kind of Faith doesnt need anyone to remind me why I believe. It just is.

Basically for me if we want it we should speak it, not what if etc.

Thanks for your view

Last edited:
Yea, I don't know how Haslam thinks either, but like someone just posted, it was a rumor that had been brought up about Haslam paying players.

I would think that would be his last "bullet" in this "battle/war", and I believe it would hurt him more than it would benefit him.

Jmo of course.

I think it comes down to whether or not he could prove it and I'd bet folding money that there's no paper trail directly implicating anyone.

'Boro, we heard that some meeting may have occurred yesterday, do you have anything that might agree with that ?

Just what I've read. I know meeting was scheduled for Tuesday. Could it have moved up? Sure.

Fulmer disappeared yesterday. Media was scrambling trying to find him. Makes sense to me, but it's pure speculation.

Reactions: 8 people
Just what I've read. I know meeting was scheduled for Tuesday. Could it have moved up? Sure.

Fulmer disappeared yesterday. Media was scrambling trying to find him. Makes sense to me, but it's pure speculation.

Haha! Love that! Sports media Goobers can eat a Turd Sandwich!! This ain't Fulmers first Rodeo! :rock:

Especially when it seemed like we could have possibly had Leach.

Agreed...and Coach has to know this.

Most fans know that Leach was on the line and a real possibility.

If Phil rolls out Morris, after the fan base's knowing about Leach with their excitement....ouch. May be ugly.

Its probably Gruden or Miles at least...to pacify the base.

Thanks ... I have a feeling something will trickle out latter on today, not sure what, but CPF did pull a slick one on the media yesterday, and today they're reporting like they were on the plane with him ha ha

Thanks ... I have a feeling something will trickle out latter on today, not sure what, but CPF did pull a slick one on the media yesterday, and today they're reporting like they were on the plane with him ha ha

Knuck was saying things would probably come out very soon.

eh, i think he's be a little foolish not to go back and speak to some of the guys that went thru that last week, if nothing else but to get input. and who knows, maybe a situation change, changes a candidates perception.

Chad Morris wouldn't be a sexy hire, and i'm sure the torch and pitchfork crowd would be out.......maybe rightfully so.

but Morris isn't a bad coach at all. he probably jumped at a job he shouldn't have. he's basically devalued himself. he was really good at Clemson, and his players loved him.

all that said, i still think there are options. how many and to what extent, dunno. but if was willing to go out on a limb with Morris, i'd be also willing to take that same chance on Leach, Venebles, or a Miles/Marton combo.

my thing with morris has little to do with smu.
clemson hasn't missed a beat since he left. if anything, they've improved a little ... at least in appears that way.

with, and without, watson at QB.

jmo tifwiw bbq

Then start the “Offical Encompasses all things about the coaching search thread”

Or...you can just not click this thread! Dang, it’s ridiculous how contentious it can get in here. Lots of people are tired and on edge. No need to stir the pot.

I think all of the Miles chatter serves several purposes.

Fulmer and Miles are friends, and Miles does desperately want to return to coaching, somewhere. Circulating his name helps Miles, and is low risk for UT because Miles is a more respected name to float around your program, than Doeren or Schiano.

We do need a check-down option if Gruden says no. Miles is a safety valve in this sense. Yeah, he's not electrifying, but he checks boxes for us, and could win big with an electric staff.

Finally, leaking hot and heavy Miles discussions is a message to Gruden: don't play around with us. We are serious about hiring him, but Fulmer is not going to woo him or stroke his ego just for fun. All of this Miles chatter tells Gruden "hey, you've got our offer, decide or we move on to someone who WANTS to be here, now."

Morning thoughts.

Reactions: 31 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back