Official Jon Gruden Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you know what? Everything else aside, Gruden HAS been wooed, like no other coaching candidate ever has in history. He's been offered absolutely unprecedented combinations of control and money to coach at Tennessee.

Revoke my Gruden Card if you want, but if he wants to be "wooed" MORE than what we've laid out for him up to now, he is crazier than Mike Leach and Les Miles combined, and we don't need him near our program.

I think today is Decision Day for Jon Gruden.

Counter-question. Do you think him not being our coach (to this point), is Gruden-related, or Currie/Haslam-related?

Last edited:
If CPF is putting together a whole staff without a HC, we are screwed.

Could be one of two things:

1. Things have progressed well with Gruden and he’s doing some leg work to shore up who Gruden wants for coaches.

2. They’re hiring Miles and knows he’ll need to be surrounded by a strong staff and Miles is ok with that.

Reactions: 2 people
when do you think Jon Grudens decision will be made? have we been wooing John Gruden this whole time? that d*** currie and his incompetence

I think he made his decision a long time ago and there are/were reasons for not making it known publicly.

However, if the silence is hindering the search, time to end the speculation once and for all.

So ready for this to be over. Football season has come and gone for the Vol Nation and here we are getting up every morning expecting some news about the person who is going to lead us out of this wasteland. Worn out from the speculation, guessing, inside source info, soap opera scenarios, conspiracy theories, reasons why no one wants to come to UT, this coach, that coach, why this is the direction we ought to go, why this is not the direction we ought to go, why UT is the laughing stock of college FB, why this guy turned us down, how many MOUs have been signed, who is going to sue us, who is in control, who wants to be in control, who is opposing this guy, who is opposing that guy, where Peyton stands, why Tee does not have the experience, where the players stand, where the former players stand. Good God just DO SOMETHING!

I am at the same point.

In the event a 7-6 type team wins their conference, they have no business being in a playoff over teams who're 11-1/10-2. The playoff is nothing more than a ploy for more money. I wasn't a fan of it's inception, and am still not.

The easiest way to minimize subjectivity is to utilize the AP poll (with equal regional input), the coaches poll (with equal regional input) and the Harris poll. Average all three and order the teams accordingly. One and two play for the title.

Hell, while we're at it, let's get a 64-team bracket and play football until Easter....

All the playoff has done is open the door to more female dogging (see Baylor/TCU a few years back, see PSU last year, see tOSU/Wisky/USC this year).

Tell that to the 07 Giants who went 10-6 and beat the 16-0 Pats in the Super Bowl. Made the playoffs as a wild card.

Reactions: 1 person
Coasty, sorry about your situation. Whether you see this or not, may God bless and comfort you.

I have never bought into these fake flights or all these different interviews to throw the fans off. You dont see these other schools playing these silly games to use as a smokescreen. A&M ,AZ St ,Fla , UCLA go and offer who they want and get their man. But here we got UT running all over the country interviewing coaches. None of it makes sense. Just like all of Tn other 2 hires. The good coaches that are out there are gone and we end up with Dooley and Butch and looks like they have no really learned anything from their previous hires.
I want Gruden but just dont see it happening. All these sources are getting out about these other coaches getting interviews but not 1 about Gruden. I would rather have Kiffin than Les.

Reactions: 3 people
Possible, and it's possible monkey's will fly out of my butt.

Really..? I’ll get the livestream up and running soon.

giphy.gif

There's something to be said for this. I believe Gruden had a face to face yesterday, after phone talks Saturday and Friday. I don't think that a face to face would have happened without papers being delivered. And I have a hard time thinking papers would be delivered without having a good idea of the answer first.

My comments about Miles were to speculate why we are hearing so much of it. Not to suggest that I don't feel good about Gruden.

But of course, we all have to wait and see.

Exile, just thinking out loud here but Philip might be floating Miles name around because of their friendship and Miles desire to return to coaching - gets his name back in the news in case someone else wants to show interest in him - plus, I suppose he could be a backup plan if current plans do not materialize ...

I had stepped out of the Gruden thread for a while. Anyone got a quick update? Is he in play not in play.. new Info?

DukeSilverVol on VQ..

"After much deliberation, gathering facts, I have made my decision.. and I am firmly BACK IN on Jon Gruden as our next HC. "

Reactions: 22 people
Tell that to the 07 Giants who went 10-6 and beat the 16-0 Pats in the Super Bowl. Made the playoffs as a wild card.

First off, not the same scenario, but maybe you're unaware of that. The Giants made the playoffs in a well-established playoff structure, known as the NFL.

Cherry pick all you please, but other than my opinions on how I feel about it, the rest remains rooted in substantitive fact.

Also, weren't the Giants a wildcard that year? That throws even more shade on your stance, in that the Giants did NOT win their "division."

Last edited:
In the event a 7-6 type team wins their conference, they have no business being in a playoff over teams who're 11-1/10-2. The playoff is nothing more than a ploy for more money. I wasn't a fan of it's inception, and am still not.

The easiest way to minimize subjectivity is to utilize the AP poll (with equal regional input), the coaches poll (with equal regional input) and the Harris poll. Average all three and order the teams accordingly. One and two play for the title.

Hell, while we're at it, let's get a 64-team bracket and play football until Easter....

All the playoff has done is open the door to more female dogging (see Baylor/TCU a few years back, see PSU last year, see tOSU/Wisky/USC this year).

It would be rare that a 7-6 team won a power 5 conference.

This playoff is not perfect but with the BCS system, one team was usually a no brainer and the number two team was usually a controversy. Now we usually have three teams that aren't disputed and the 4th team is a controversy. I'd call that major improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back