Lady Vols Recruiting Info

We need another big who knows how to score. Russell knows how to score some--but our astute coaches apparently didn't want her to shoot anything other than uncontested layups. Can't figure out our coaching.

I agree think they mishandled Russell later in the year. I guess they thought she wasn't ready or wasn't aggressive enough. It was up to them to get her to that point by mid-season didn't happen. I am waiting to see how she looks and he mindset next season. She has talent needs strength and coaches need to turn her loose. She hit a lot of 10 foot perimeter shots and more in high school they are gonna have to give her more freedom and get her mind mentally ready to compete. She looked a little soft most of the year. I thought she toughened a little late, but still needs more.

We need another big who knows how to score. Russell knows how to score some--but our astute coaches apparently didn't want her to shoot anything other than uncontested layups. Can't figure out our coaching.

Truthfully, Russell never showed that she could do anything OTHER than hit uncontested layups. I saw her try a few back to basket turnaround jumpers and she not only missed, but had all of the finesse of a shot putter.

From what I saw of Russell, it was less coaching strategy and more limitations in Russell's overall skill.

That's probably why you are just an armchair wannabe coach instead of a real one.

Reactions: 3 people

I have noticed that you can't figure out our coaching by your constantly, ridiculously demeaning the coaching.

Reactions: 4 people
Not just a few shufflings. In some cases this was a major re-alignment. I had not used the Hoopgurlz rankings before because after ESPN's retrenchment they seemed to be a paper review with little or no actual evaluation. After a while there seemed to more thought, at least, put in to the process of ranking and I started to include them with the latest update and the addition of Caliya Robinson. This latest effort where there are some seismic shifts (Te'a Cooper falls, I believe, 6 spots, Caliya Robinson falls 30 spots), with no explanation or description of the evaluation process, has me once again questioning the validity of the Hoopgurlz rankings.

Jim

Robinson 10 Blue Star 40 Hoopgurlz Nared 6 Hoopgurlz 19 Blue Star Me Me Jackson 6 Blustar 20's Hoopgurlz. Samuelson 1 Hoopgurlz 11 Bluestar. It is obvious the same person isn't doing these ratings. Amazing how there can be so much difference. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is very confusing (and frustrating) that these changes are made without any explanation. Looking at 2 LV targets who both fell in these new Hoopgurlz rankings (Te'a Cooper and Caliya Robinson), BOTH improved their season stats this year as Juniors compared with last year's SOPH numbers. Caliya's numbers, at first glance, may not be glaring (13 ppg this season, 10 rpg, 6 blocks per game) but looking at the last 1.5 months of the season, they ALL increase to 16.5 ppg, 12 rebounds per game and 8.5 blocks per game (she even had one game where it was recorded she had 17...yes...17 blocks...IN ONE GAME!!). But yet she fell from 12 to 40-something? Interesting indeed...

Don't get caught up in recruiting rankings--they are subjective. You're talking about maybe a couple of people at each service who rank the prospects--and, obviously, different people have different opinions, biases, etc. It doesn't really matter whether a player is ranked 3 or 33. What DOES matter is whether she can be an impact player at the next level--and that is why the //evaluation skills// of your coaches are PARAMOUNT. It is very possible that the no. 3 prospect will not be an impact player in college while the no. 33 prospect will. And the reverse is true. UT has signed a BUNCH of highly ranked prospects (top 10, top 20) who did not become good college players--that has been a problem for us--and it is the challenge of recruiting. Think of all the shooting guards we've signed over the last 12 years, say, who simply weren't athletic enough to be good major-college players. Conversely, you get players like Graves and Glory--highly ranked prospect because of their athleticism--but their basketball skills (offensive skills--shooting, ball-handling) are severely lacking.

So don't worry about rankings--worry about whether our coaches are chasing the right players. About half the top 100 prospects in college football are either busts or don't become good college players. I'm sure the same is true with women's basketball. It's not about signing a top prospect; it is feeling confident that that prospect has the game to excel at the next level, when the competition is far tougher.

Reactions: 4 people
CannonVol80,

Would you have any interest in posting who is being recruited by both Tennessee and LaTech (i.e., Tyler Summitt)?

If someday Tyler is going to be named LadyVols HC, the pathway (however long) to Knoxville should be marked by some predictable milestones.

The initial milestone would be the first time Tyler wins a recruiting battle against the Great Orange Behemoth (the LV program--not Holly!). Is this information you can get, reasonably reliably, to maybe start a new thread?

Last edited:
Dan Fleser ‏@fleserKNS 36m

Diamond DeShields' mom says she's "pretty sure" Diamond will choose next school in time to attend the 2nd session of summer school.

Reactions: 1 person
It would be nice if we start getting some more commitments from the 2015 class soon.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back