Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Yes sir…it’s not perfect. It is still the number one criteria for a season. Are you saying you would prefer a 30 win regular season and bounced out at the Sweet 16 over let’s say a 25 win regular season and a final four.

I think that SEC championships are just as desirable as not winning the NCAAT.

I think that SEC championships are just as desirable as not winning the NCAAT.
They are very nice…they mean quite a bit. Final Fours matter more. There are reasons teams with the history of Kentucky hang those banners. The truly great teams do both in same season. Big difference in going to Final Foul or a Sweet 16 yet both lose their final game of the season.

Reactions: Pennheel
It all matters…Some outweigh others though.

The pecking order is:
Ncaa Tournament
Regular Season
Conference Tournament

If you do 2/3 and come up short of expectation in number 1 then you will always catch some heat. If you can get further than expectation in number 1 then that can help some/any criticism go away from not doing well in 2. We have always done it the first way. Time we do it all..why not!
The NCAA and CBS did their number on many fans, but not all. The regular season identifies the best teams, which is why winning a major conference will generally garner a 1 seed, and 2 at worst. Heck, a 4, two 5s and a 9 made the final four last year.

The problem with the NCAA Tournament, usually the best teams during the regular season doesn’t win it.

It’s a one & done crap shoot that involves a lot of luck.

Phi Slama Jama, one of the best teams in the history of college basketball, failed to win it all. 3x FFs and 2x finals, but came up short.

Phi Slama Jama, one of the best teams in the history of college basketball, failed to win it all. 3x FFs and 2x finals, but came up short.
I won a 1000 bucks or so on nc state that year between the acc tournament and the nc championship. Damn, that was one great party on the ncsu campus after the game. Way better than Carolinas in 82 at chapel hill.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Seems like many on here view the ncaa tourney as having 8 winners. Others view it having 4 winners, and then others as one winner. Seems like a moving target

And it’s a made for TV event over 3 weeks. I prefer the long regular season grind over nearly 5 months. The NCAAT is just an add on. It doesn’t mean much as long as it’s single elimination and has questionable matchups and inconsistent officiating.

It's time for any UT basketball coach to get past the sweet 16. We should have been able to do it with Pearl at least more than once and maybe another coach. We should be able to do it know with the talent and coaching we have. Going nuts over losing to Kansas, UNC, and Purdue is dumb, although they were disappointing loses. Losing to the 3 SEC teams was dumb this year. Maybe one because a dumb loss happens, but no way on three losses because UT has the coaching and team talent not to do that.

Hopefully, we're past that now.
That’s just not how college basketball works. Never has been. Teams lose games. Even the good ones. That’s why there hasn’t been an undefeated season since 1976. These “stupid” loses is such a short sided way to look at it. Teams lose to lesser teams all the time. That stupid MSU team has an all SEC guard (Hubbard) and an All SEC big man (Tolu). That stupid TAMU team has two future NBA guards that shot the lights out. And that stupid SC team is currently ranked 17th and second in the SEC one game behind us. The audacity of us to lose to those stupid teams. Shame on Barnes!

Last edited:
The NCAAT is made for TV basketball. A lot of those early upsets would never happen in the regular season. Favorable whistles keeping the Cinderellas alive create high ratings. Seedings can be created to put better teams at disadvantages.
Actually they have found that the cenderellas are good for ratings early in the tourny but tank them later on because those teams don't have name recognition. What the networks want is a few upsets early and a bunch of historical and blue blood programs left at the end.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
That’s just not how college basketball works. Never has been. Teams lose games. Even the good ones. That’s why there hasn’t been an undefeated season since 1976. These “stupid” loses is such a short sided way to look at it. Teams lose to lesser teams all the time. That stupid MSU team has an all SEC guard (Hubbard) and an All SEC big man (Tolu). That stupid TAMU team has two future NBA guards that shot the lights out. And that stupid SC team is currently ranked 17th and second in the SEC one game behind us. The audacity of us to lose to those stupid teams. Shame on Barnes!
Not sure why you think that I expect a situation like that to be normal. Teams that go on these streaks are rare. They start with a good year and grow.

All I am saying is avoid mistakes (games) that should not happen. You might just get 2 of those 3 losses back. That's what a mature, great team does and great ones can do it in multiple seasons.

I want UT to be great.

These are the golden years. The truth is that we will be very fortunate if we don’t experience a drop off when Barnes retires. Doesn’t mean his replacement will be bad, but replicating the level of success Barnes has had will be very difficult.
Barnes is an outstanding coach. Tennessee is sitting on an SEC title and people are still complaining. Enjoy what we have now. We will have a new coach soon enough and chances are he will not be as good as what we have now.

Barnes is an outstanding coach. Tennessee is sitting on an SEC title and people are still complaining. Enjoy what we have now. We will have a new coach soon enough and chances are he will not be as good as what we have now.
I think that’s a pretty good bet. Coaches with 800 career wins don’t fall off trees. The people that are complaining are absolute morons and that’s the nicest term I can use. The good news is that we have the proven fan support and the money to hire a good coach when Rick decides to hang it up.

I think that’s a pretty good bet. Coaches with 800 career wins don’t fall off trees. The people that are complaining are absolute morons and that’s the nicest term I can use. The good news is that we have the proven fan support and the money to hire a good coach when Rick decides to hang it up.
You’re correct that Barnes will pass along a great program without any baggage to the next guy. The bad news is in spite of the great fan support and resources, it’s been proven through the years that it’s always a bit of a gamble when hiring new coaches. I’m sure enjoying CRB’s tenure and taking nothing for granted.

You’re correct that Barnes will pass along a great program without any baggage to the next guy. The bad news is in spite of the great fan support and resources, it’s been proven through the years that it’s always a bit of a gamble when hiring new coaches. I’m sure enjoying CRB’s tenure and taking nothing for granted.

We’ll either hit the jack pot or end up with a coach like Kenny Payne after Barnes retires.

I think a good coach out there whenever Barnes calls it a day to look at is Rodney Terry. An assistant under Barnes at Texas and a great recruiter during Barnes runs to the Elight 8 and Final Four. Had a good run to the Elite 8 last year. If I was White,I'd look at him when the time comes. It wouldn't be a huge drop-off from what I've seen of Texas.

However,I understand the nervousness when that time comes that you won't find a Barnes caliber coach which you wont.They don't exist.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I think a good coach out there whenever Barnes calls it a day to look at is Rodney Terry. An assistant under Barnes at Texas and a great recruiter during Barnes runs to the Elight 8 and Final Four. Had a good run to the Elite 8 last year. If I was White,I'd look at him when the time comes. It wouldn't be a huge drop-off from what I've seen of Texas.

However,I understand the nervousness when that time comes that you won't find a Barnes caliber coach which you wont.They don't exist.
No

VN Store

Back