Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I dont hate him…I said the so called hate...he has done fine…very little hardware to show for it and no banners for all the love though. Oats sucks and has more hardware in less time at a school that is historically inferior to us in basketball.
Oats isn't in the same conversation with Barnes. I see now

Oats isn't in the same conversation with Barnes. I see now
Agree. Oats is unethical. Not a Disciplined coach. Typical Alabama Arrogance. He dealt with the Miller thing real well last year I see. Not even in the same conversation with Barnes regardless of the wins and Losses.

When I think of Hardware for Oats it says Thugs.

did you mean to use blue font w/ reference to Miller?
Agree. Oats is unethical. Not a Disciplined coach. Typical Alabama Arrogance. He dealt with the Miller thing real well last year I see. Not even in the same conversation with Barnes regardless of the wins and Losses.

When I think of Hardware for Oats it says Thugs.

It's almost unfathomable to consider, but '23-'24 is going to end up being Rick's worst Tennessee team yet. I know, I know, we're only 7 games in & college basketball is a long season. But, what I witnessed tonight shook me to my core. I'm struggling to recall a UT team in ANY sport display the kind of sorry as* effort we witnessed tonight.

With one of the most experienced, veteran-laden teams in the country, that's just a tad bit alarming. Now, without Knecht, it'll be unwatchable. This would be a two win team right now without him. Anyone confident that we'll now be relying on Gainey & Josiah to create the offense moving forward? Lol.

After a 14-15 win type of year that's coming, Rick will finally ride off into the sunset, & Justin Gainey will be UT's next coach. I'm actually really excited about Gainey, I think he'll breathe some fresh energy into the program & move our offense into the 21st century. I hate being a Vols fan. Football program is back to reality & a complete afterthought again, & the basketball program is somehow even worse, when everyone expected greatness from it this year. Hopefully, Tony gets the baseball boys back to Omaha this summer..
It’s fun to go back and read posts like this. It makes me smile

I dont hate him…I said the so called hate...he has done fine…very little hardware to show for it and no banners for all the love though. Oats sucks and has more hardware in less time at a school that is historically inferior to us in basketball.
It’s not true that Bama has been “historically inferior” to us.

Almost the exact same resumes between us and Bama, historically.
In 1976 Bama had Indiana on the ropes in the tournament but couldn’t hold on, partially due to some questionable officiating. That was the Indiana team that went on to win the national title undefeated, still to this day the last men’s basketball team to have a perfect season. Even Bob Knight himself knew IU deserved to lose that game, and he went into the Bama locker room after the game to tell them as much.

Their teams under CM Newton were every bit as good as UT and UK were.

In 1976 Bama had Indiana on the ropes in the tournament but couldn’t hold on, partially due to some questionable officiating. That was the Indiana team that went on to win the national title undefeated, still to this day the last men’s basketball team to have a perfect season. Even Bob Knight himself knew IU deserved to lose that game, and he went into the Bama locker room after the game to tell them as much.

CM was one of the few non-UT coaches that my Dad ever praised. I reported on CM teams from 1972 tp 1974 in my first jobs after finishing college

T.R. Dunn, Reggie King, and Rickey Brown........hell of a team.

Wait now regular season stuff matters? What happened to what you do in March is what matters? Oats was a #1 Seed last year that didn't make it out of the S16. This place will crucify Barnes if that happens this year or any year.

It's time for any UT basketball coach to get past the sweet 16. We should have been able to do it with Pearl at least more than once and maybe another coach. We should be able to do it know with the talent and coaching we have. Going nuts over losing to Kansas, UNC, and Purdue is dumb, although they were disappointing loses. Losing to the 3 SEC teams was dumb this year. Maybe one because a dumb loss happens, but no way on three losses because UT has the coaching and team talent not to do that.

Hopefully, we're past that now.

It's time for any UT basketball coach to get past the sweet 16. We should have been able to do it with Pearl at least more than once and maybe another coach. We should be able to do it know with the talent and coaching we have. Going nuts over losing to Kansas, UNC, and Purdue is dumb, although they were disappointing loses. Losing to the 3 SEC teams was dumb this year. Maybe one because a dumb loss happens, but no way on three losses because UT has the coaching and team talent not to do that.

Hopefully, we're past that now.
You’re complaining about our 13-3, outright best-in-conference record???

Wait now regular season stuff matters? What happened to what you do in March is what matters? Oats was a #1 Seed last year that didn't make it out of the S16. This place will crucify Barnes if that happens this year or any year.
It all matters…Some outweigh others though.

The pecking order is:
Ncaa Tournament
Regular Season
Conference Tournament

If you do 2/3 and come up short of expectation in number 1 then you will always catch some heat. If you can get further than expectation in number 1 then that can help some/any criticism go away from not doing well in 2. We have always done it the first way. Time we do it all..why not!

It all matters…Some outweigh others though.

The pecking order is:
Ncaa Tournament
Regular Season
Conference Tournament

If you do 2/3 and come up short of expectation in number 1 then you will always catch some heat. If you can get further than expectation in number 1 then that can help some/any criticism go away from not doing well in 2. We have always done it the first way. Time we do it all..why not!

The NCAAT has 67 losers.

The NCAAT has 67 losers.
It has nothing to do with overall winner. There is an expectation on each team every year based on how good the team is, overall seed, path through the tournament etc…winning is a wild expectation for most…elite 8’s and a final four every 5-10 years are not.

It has nothing to do with overall winner. There is an expectation on each team every year based on how good the team is, overall seed, path through the tournament etc…winning is a wild expectation for most…elite 8’s and a final four every 5-10 years are not.

But the other two have true champions.

The NCAAT is flawed. Bad draws. Single elimination. Inconsistent officiating. Favored teams being protected (how often did Duke have opening round games in NC?).

Last edited:

The NCAAT is flawed. Bad draws. Single elimination. Inconsistent officiating. Favored teams being protected (how often did Duke has opening round games in NC?).
Yes sir…it’s not perfect. It is still the number one criteria for a season. Are you saying you would prefer a 30 win regular season and bounced out at the Sweet 16 over let’s say a 25 win regular season and a final four.

The NCAAT is flawed. Bad draws. Single elimination. Inconsistent officiating. Favored teams being protected (how often did Duke has opening round games in NC?).

I would say that it's flawed in the sense that the NCAAT is not about finding out who the best team is in a particular season - only the winner of the tournament itself. Single-elimination in particular creates a lot of lucky moments that would not be replicated across multiple tries. Which, frankly, the NCAA tournament and CBS want, much more than they ever want chalk.

The NCAAT is made for TV basketball. A lot of those early upsets would never happen in the regular season. Favorable whistles keeping the Cinderellas alive create high ratings. Seedings can be created to put better teams at disadvantages.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back