Inky reads Volnation

I think both of our points are valid, however, let me ask you this... When will it be time for Butch Jones to win games of substance? Year 4? 5? 6? Just curious.

I think the time is now. I'm not cheering for mediocrity.

But you you can't tell me that you don't see improvement over the last few years. Two years ago we got absolutely worked by Oregon, Alabama, Auburn and Missouri. Two years. What we are watching is frustrating as hell because we are getting better. I don't know if Butch is the kind of guy who wins National Championships now but he may grow into it.

SO I think he should and could win a big game this year. I actually think he WILL. But UT didn't have a chance at winning those games a few short years ago and you know it.

I do wonder why people can't compare the slow decline into mediocrity over the last of the Fulmer/Kiffen/Dooley years with the amount of time it is taking to build a winner. You want it rightfrigginnow!!

It doesn't work like that.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree, I would love nothing more than for Tennessee to get back to dominating the SEC, but just bc it doesn't happen on your schedule doesn't mean they aren't improving.

Our fan base is so fickle that most will predict SEC Championships / National Championships all off season long, then at the first sight of adversity, they are ready to fire the coaches and bench the starters.

It's not as easy as running a dynasty on NCAA Football. Unfortunately, that's all the football experience most the ones doing all the b*+ching have.:crazy:

Our fanbase has a right to be "fickle". They've been drug through the mud the past 10 years and they actually care about their team, which tends to leave them ultrasensitive. In terms of the improvement aspect of things, I didn't see that this team that played Arkansas was vastly improved. This was a game that was winnable coached by two coaches who needed big time wins. As usual, Tennessee loses. Again. At home.

Defensively, the defense was earily similar to Sunseri's on-the-field product. Poor angles, tackling, and adjustments. So... In year 3, the problem isn't the fanbase. It is the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I love the ole "This team don't owe you nuthin!!!11" response.

Real insightful and original.

What if someone has donated thousands of dollars to the program since the mid 90's...would it be ok to have an opinion then?

2-3....and EVERYONE watching the games KNOWS that CBJ and co. just got OUT-COACHED...that's the reality of where we are at in our program.

Yes, we are young...Yes, Dobbs isn't the best passer in the league, and yes...Randolph and McNeil are probably two of the worst safeties to ever play in the SEC....but with ALL OF THAT ACKNOWLEDGED--IF we get ANYTHING close to SEC caliber coaching we are--at worst--4-1.

And--at some point--losing games we SHOULD win will have it's own NEGATIVE RECRUITING effect. No one wants to play for a coach who chokes and can't win.

I want Jones to succeed--we NEED Jones to succeed...but in reality--he's shown NOTHING to make us think he can actually beat the better teams in the conference. Nothing!

But, even so--GO VOLS! BEAT THE PUPPIES! :salute:

More players than you think pay attention to this website.

That's just what I was thinking. If an ex-player, or coach, or fans just want to lurk and keep up with "more" things Vol ... where else would you go?

KNS?:eek:lol: I don't think so.

Love that Inky reads VN. He is a proud VFL who gave his all for Tennessee. I'd do anything that I could for him. I would never argue with him.

That being said, let me reiterate what I have said in posts.

We are not as good as people were trying to say we were.

Although I saw some coaching mistakes, I have saw improvement.

Although I saw some playing mistakes, I have saw improvement.

It's not where I want it, but it will have to do (for now)

Ty inky, that motivated me even more this weekend and lots of truth behind it. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 should have inky on sidelines and pre game/halftime speeches.

I think this is a good idea. Inky Johnson should post daily motivational videos for several posters on here. Maybe that will help them with their bipolarity.

What bipolarity? We love it and bleed orange! Go big Orange! We were going to win east and the media loved us, but Butch did not go for two and treats us like we are unrealistic and don't understand. He just keeps saying we are too young and won't replace our sophomore starters with our freshmen superstars. We know they are superstars because Rivals told us even though stars don't matter. Now bench Dobbs who should have won the Heismann and fire the staff and administration and throw all our recently replenished coffers (net of buy outs) at Chip Kelly because why would he not come here and make us proud, happy and young again. Why does ESPN hate us? Why can we not get a premier coach? They can all go fly a freaking kite if they won't come here. Save us, obiwon Gruden! We are Tennessee by G! Besides some of you are not a real fans. A real fan criticizes constantly but loves unconditionally and pumps sunshine and vents pent up frustration. Whose bi-polar?
(Blue font? Maybe, maybe not)

You shouldn't be judged on 3 bad choices...unless you're given 5 in a row and you make 3 bad ones. Then, I get worried.

Well I hope they realize the vast majority of Vol fans support the team and that it's primarily the Legions of he Miserable that make anonymous posts, ridiculing everyone working hard for the program, as if those posters have any idea how hard these guys work.

Keep working hard guys--we are with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
After almost 15 years of "waiting for tomorrow", negativity is going to come out. Period.

*****ing on this message board is the only catharsis the fan base will receive since the redeeming wins are yet to come.

It's how this whole fandom thing works...and believe it or not, it isn't contained to ONLY Vol nation.

No need for overly philosophical, religious parallels here.

Negativity is a by product of a prolonged state of losing...winning improves everything...so you know...

Great post. Very simple concept, win.

While I have been critical of Butch, and more so of Debord, I do think its human nature to complain about bone headed coaching decisions. I don't think after 2 years and 5 games this year, thats its time to fire Butch. This program was an absolute dumpster fire when Butch was hired, and he has put out the fire. Tennessee is relevant once again, we may have come up short in 3 games, but two years ago we were getting blowed out. It takes time to build depth and experience.18 and 19 year old young men do not have the physical or mental strength that 20 or 21 year olds that have been in the college weight room and the Saturday afternoon fires that is college football. Just look at Curt Maggitt, he came in at 6'3" and 215 lbs, now he is a 5th year senior weighing 254 lbs. I know he is hurt, but his presence on the field would be making a huge differance.
So, to be fair, its not all on the coaches nor is it all on the players. I have a question. Has everyone on this fan board, given his or her all for Tennessee this year?

Inky, please know the things you read in here are not everyone's thoughts. You are a great VFL and reflect positive on whatever you get involved in. Wish more people in here would do that. I bleed orange, win or lose, I don't get paid to coach the vols, Butch Jones does, so I will let him do it. Anyone who doesn't think we are better off than when he came are delusional.
GO VOLS, GO Inky, keep being the great VFL representative you are. and for the record, UT should pay you, you should have some kind of position.

VFL Fred White has certainly expressed his concerns and no offense to your question but I don't know how fair it is to put him on the spot like this, just my opinion though

He doesn't have to answer. He offers his opinion on a message board. How is it unfair to ask him for his opinion on a message board?

Inky Johnson
October 5 at 10:55pm ·

"People dish out temporary negativity that have the possibility to do long term damage in the grand scheme of our program. Recruiting, coaches etc- We lost to OU who is undefeated, Florida who defeated Ole Miss who beat Bama. I don't think we're that far off. One would say look at what Florida is doing with their new coach, stop comparing programs; comparison is the thief of joy and makes you forget that the past two years Butch Jones and his staff has improved our program on/off the field tremendously and Florida didn't fire Coach Fulmer, hire Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley. You have every right to feel how you feel their your feelings but be cognizant of how the national media portrays our supporters and paint the picture of turning on their coaches & players which can come back to bite us in recruiting. Tennessee is known for being a family and that plays a huge part in the reason recruits want to come to a program and of course wins as well but when another SEC Coach can tell a recruit when it get's a little rocky on rockyTop they turn on you or if our supporters play a part in a scenario where we're looking for another coach who in their right mind would want the job. At a certain point the negativity becomes water under the bridge and counter productive, we lost 3 games and you're basing judgement and trying to say it defines who Butch, his Staff and our players are. That's just like someone judging you off of three bad choices you made. BY THE WAY I'M NOT ON PAY ROLL BY BUTCH OR UT FOOTBALL IN NO FASHION. I just ride for what I believe in.‪#‎ATrueVFL‬"

While I am pretty pissed about our past three losses, especially Ark and UF, I think that the season is salvageable. 7-5 (8-5 with a bowl win) is still reasonable with 8-4/9-3 being plausible **All of which is still an improvement in the post-Fulmer era**. And with how recruiting has gone we may bust through next season, but what will make that extremely difficult is the constant harassment of coaches/players on here and social media.

My main point is that, barring a total collapse, Butch will be here next year. So b*tching about it does nothing except hurt our future in recruiting and overall morale. Because if we go 10-2 or better next year a lot of people on here will look like fools and we could miss on some stellar recruits who see the negative atmosphere around here. I agree that winning cures all, we just might have to hold out a little while longer to reap the benefits. (case in point Cuonzo - who I dislike and is now killing it at Cal). Just my 2 cents. Flame away.

BUT I WANT A NATIONAL TITLE NOOOOOOOWWWWW!

-morans

If we could ever win a meaningful game...
If the sunshine pumpers on here would allow other posters to state that ALL is not well...
If the nega-Vols on here would allow other posters to state that ALL is not bad...
If the same posters who were defending CBJ to the death in August hadn't turned on him and called for blood...
If the "next year is our year" and "we are young" excuse wasn't used 1,000,000 times a day...
If CBJ wasn't praised as the best recruiter ever and then a solution to fix our problems is recruit better...

THIS WOULDN'T BE VOLNATION!!!!!!

hopefully they take it with a HUGE shaker of salt!

dumb-and-dumber-seabass-o.gif

I am happy to hear that we hold so much power!!!

I have been told (along with many others) that we don't control anything, our opinions don't matter, and nothing we say will affect any decision of anyone related to the program.

With this new power, I strongly suggest we change our coaching and playing strategy to try to win some games.

VN Store

Back