ESPN: How Hurd can win Heisman...

I'm showing Hurd as having 22 catches for 190 yards. Fournette, with one fewer game, had 19 for 253 yards while Chubb in his Fr year (obviously he was lost for the season early last year) had 18 for 213.

I'm not sure the stats bear out your observation.

I love Hurd as much as the next guy, but, Chubb and Fournette are on a different level. Hurd is very good, Chubb and Fournette are elite, they are game changers.

Reactions: 2 people
He averaged 23 touches per game last year, which included only 13 vs WCar and 17 vs North Texas. I think Fournette averaged 26 by comparison, so I'm not sure a lack of touches is the issue. I think he has do more with the touches he gets, find a way to turn 4.6 ypc to 6.4 ypc. Then he'd instantly be in the conversion IMO.

:good!:

I think Jalen feels that way too. Seems like that was what he was alluding to anyway. I've never heard a complaint about splitting carries. Seems like he understands he needs to do more with the touches he does get.

Prediction, a Vol will win the Heisman this year. It could be Hurd or JD or even Cam, but a Vol will win the Heisman this year, due to the National Championship run we have already begun.

Jump higher Vols.

I love Hurd as much as the next guy, but, Chubb and Fournette are on a different level. Hurd is very good, Chubb and Fournette are elite, they are game changers.

I would take Hurd over both Chubb and Fournette. The only defense Uga and lsu played against that was worth a crap last year was bama. Hurd out performed both and almost lead his team to a win. With a good oline Hurd will be very tough to stop.

Reactions: 1 person

I don't think Hurd has the top end speed they have, but I also think he has benefitted the least from his OL and scheme of the three of them as well.

I would take Hurd over both Chubb and Fournette. The only defense Uga and lsu played against that was worth a crap last year was bama. Hurd out performed both and almost lead his team to a win. With a good oline Hurd will be very tough to stop.

Chubb had 20 carries for 146 yards last year vs Bama. Hurd...18 for 92.

In 2014, both played Missouri and Florida .....Chubb had a combined 59 carries for 296 yards....Hurd 21 for 79 yards.

They each have played against other common opponents like SCar, Ky and Vandy and, quite honestly, it's not close in favor of Chubb.

I love Jalen and am very glad and proud that he's a Vol. But, IMHO, where Jalen is a stud and very, very good....Chubb is elite.

I don't think Hurd has the top end speed they have, but I also think he has benefitted the least from his OL and scheme of the three of them as well.

Agree. Beyond those valid points, both Chubb and Fournette have shown a great breakaway ability in the open field that Jalen just hasn't to this point. All 3 run with great power, Chubb has the best shiftiness/wiggle, while both Fournette and Chubb are homerun threats that Hurd just isn't.....that's the biggest difference in their stats and how they're perceived IMO.

Hopefully our OL continues to progress, we get Jalen in some more offset I/pro sets to take advantage of his skill set and that Jalen himself improves his abilities in the open field.

I've still got a case of butt hurt over the outcome of Peyton's run for the Heisman and that award has been little more than a chunk of metal award for a popularity contest winner.

Do I think Jalen is Heisman good? Absolutely.

Will I hold my breath for him to win it? Nope.

He will do great things regardless of anything Heisman related.

:rock:
GBO!

I totally agree I ha e not watched the heisman presentation since Peyton was robbed while yet another punk from Michigan got it and none deservesd. It.I would not ha e gave up one manning for all rhe michigan players who won it

If Hurd didn't run in an offense that developed so slowly and sent him to the sidelines to start every play his numbers would be alot better. This offense suits a back with speed over power.

Runs taken by AK and Dobbs hurts his chances for certain when other RB's at other schools take most of the reps.

I think Hurd has some breakaway speed but I think he enjoys knocking people on their butts and punishing them.

Like Eddie George, Hurds hero, Hurd knows that if he beats them down bad enough in the first 3 quarters that he'll have a bit easier running in the 4th quarter because the defenders are already hurting and not as eager for more punishment.

He's also not as shifty footed to make jukes like others are and he prefers to run over people.

His best shot at a heisTman might be if he'll come back for his senior year when so many others leave early for the NFL.

If he does come back as a Senior he might set a rushing record on the hill that will never be broken especially when AK isn't around and Dobbs is gone too and he'll get lots more carries.

Staying for his senior year might get him drafted higher too which will mean lots more $$$ on his 1st NFL contract.

We're lucky to have such a great all around RB like Hurd.

Building a Champion #BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

For decades the Heisman voters did not like Alabama and finally, they gave a Heisman to Alabama then shortly thereafter Alabama got another one.
It seems that the Heisman voters do not like us either. (1) Johhny Majors did not win the Heisman, but lost it to Paul Horning who played for a Notre Dame team with a losing record. (2) Shuler lost it to a guy who didn't even play NFL football but was the starting q.b. on a national championship team at FSU. (3) Defensive players were not allowed to be seriously considered for the Heisman so Pickens did not win the Heisman. (4) NOt enough time to discuss the Manning Heisman (5) Jamaal Lewis was not even considered for the Heisman

In order for Hurd to win the Heisman,(1) he would have to show out in key Nationally Televised games against Alabama, V.T., Georgia & Florida.(2) We would have to be in the national championship hunt. (3) He would have to amass about 1,600 yards for the season.

It would have to be a situation in which the voters had no recourse but to give it to him or else. It would have to be a clear choice for him so that the voters can't justify voting for someone else.

Great article. Only thing I question is the paragraph toward the end saying that some scouts knock Jalen for not being maximum effort each week. Are they kidding? This kid runs like somebody just killed his mother and he's trying to get revenge every time he touches it. The ONLY thing left for Hurd to show is an ability to be a better open field runner who can hit a homerun at any point. But nobody should ever question this kid's effort.

ESPN needs to go interview the Georgia defender who took Jalen Hurd on in the open field. That Georgia defenders teeth are still being found on Shields-Watkins to this day!! How dare they question Jalen's effort on the field!! Talk is so cheap. Run his tape from the past two years. What about the stiff arm from hell to the Northwesten Defender?? I guess that wasn't maximum effort either??? Shaking my Dam Head at ESPN for adding that to the article.

You put Hurd behind their lines he runs for more yards. He's better natural runner than both of em. Hurd has just been hurt by poor o-line play and the fact we're a spread team that hands the ball to him from the shotgun rather than letting him go down hill from the I-formation like Fournette and Chubb.

Remember what Jalen did in the bowl game from the I-formation?

Last edited:

Agreed. I believe Hurd is easily superior to Nick Chubb (who reminds me of Doug Martin in the NFL). Fournette is a little tougher because he's special...Bo Jackson-esque runner IMO.

Hurd is unique though. He's a football unicorn. 6'4" 242 lbs but with the agility and acceleration of a 5'11" 220 lbs running back.

It's hard for me to even think of a pro comparison for him at RB. He compares more to Calvin Johnson. Just a freak of an athlete for a man his size.

In 2014, both played Missouri and Florida .....Chubb had a combined 59 carries for 296 yards....Hurd 21 for 79 yards.

They each have played against other common opponents like SCar, Ky and Vandy and, quite honestly, it's not close in favor of Chubb.

I love Jalen and am very glad and proud that he's a Vol. But, IMHO, where Jalen is a stud and very, very good....Chubb is elite.

Once again...do you even watch the games?

Chubb had an 83 yard run on the final play of the 3rd quarter when his team was down 35 points. Take out that run during garbage time when Alabama's defense had eased up and he has only 63 yards on 19 carries (3.3 ypc). Jalen on the other hand scores the go ahead TD with 5 minutes left while Alabama is fighting for their lives. He finished the game averaging 5.1 ypc.

That game is a classic example of stats lying. Chubb was stuffed all day by Alabama on every other run. Then he broke one when the game is over and Bama's defense is relaxing. Hurd on the other hand churned out positive runs in all day long.

No one who watched both games would say Chubb had a better game.

On the rest of your point, comparing individual stats in a team sport is meaningless. Chubb and Hurd run behind 2 different lines in 2 different systems.

All those stats you posted don't prove Chubb is a better RB. All they prove is he has better stats. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
You put Hurd behind their lines he runs for more yards. He's better natural runner than both of em. Hurd has just been hurt by poor o-line play and the fact we're a spread team that hands the ball to him from the shotgun rather than letting him go down hill from the I formation like Fournette and Chubb.

Remember what Jalen did in the bowl game from the I formation?

See, this is what we're talking about D4H. Your first 2 statements here are completely uninformed and borderline ridiculous. Hurd is a beast but he generally runs like a bull in a china shop who to date has shown very little to no running instincts in space. Meanwhile, Chubb has shown outstanding instincts, great shiftiness, great burst and it has resulted in multiple long TD runs and about 3 more yards per carry.

Can I agree that he's run behind better OLs thus far? Yes. But to categorically say that Hurd would've gained more yards than either Founette or Chubb, who are elite runners....hell no.

Reactions: 2 people
See, this is what we're talking about D4H. Your first 2 statements here are completely uninformed and borderline ridiculous. Hurd is a beast but he generally runs like a bull in a china shop who to date has shown very little to no running instincts in space. Meanwhile, Chubb has shown outstanding instincts, great shiftiness, great burst and it has resulted in multiple long TD runs and about 3 more yards per carry.

Can I agree that he's run behind better OLs thus far? Yes. But to categorically say that Hurd would've gained more yards than either Founette or Chubb, who are elite runners....hell no.

We'll see in the pros.

Right now I have Nick Chubb as Doug Martin 2.0. He'll be a good starting RB. Might make a pro bowl or 2.

Fournette is a true superstar. He reminds me of Bo Jackson.

Hurd is a unicorn. We've never seen someone like him before. We might never see one like him ever again. He can be as transformative player to the RB position as Calvin Johnson was for WRs. Just wait till he plays in a pro style offense. He'll be considered a cheat code.

We'll see in the pros.

Right now I have Nick Chubb as Doug Martin 2.0. He'll be a good starting RB. Might make a pro bowl or 2.

Fournette is a true superstar. He reminds me of Bo Jackson.

Hurd is a unicorn. We've never seen someone like him before. We might never see one like him ever again. He can be as transformative player to the RB position as Calvin Johnson was for WRs. Just wait till he plays in a pro style offense. He'll be considered a cheat code.

No, perhaps you haven't seen anybody like Jalen before due to your relative youth and inexperience, but many of us have. I saw both Chuck Muncie and Eddie George. That's who Jalen essentially is in the NFL IMHO. I once thought Hurd would be much more than George because I thought he'd prove to be a much more explosive runner hitting a hole and I thought he'd prove to be more athletic once he got to the second level. To date, I've been proven wrong, therefore, IMO, he's essentially Eddie George 2.0 until further notice.

As for the comparison between Martin and Chubb, I don't think it's necessarily a bad one, although I think looks faster and more athletic. He looks like a more fluid athlete IMO. But as far as NFL production, Martin has shown to be a 1400 yard per year runner when healthy....I can definitely see Chubb putting up those type numbers assuming he comes back 100% off the knee injury.

Finally, just don't understand you dude. How can you in one post say definitively that Hurd would gain more yards that LF if he ran behind his OL....and then turn around the next post and call him a true superstar and compare him to perhaps the most gifted professional athlete who's ever walked the earth?

I love Hurd, am thrilled he's a Vol, and believe he'll leave Tennessee a legend not far from the rarefied air that Manning and Wilson and Majors and White now occupy. But no one right can or should hold the opinion, IMHO, that Hurd is better than Fournette given what we've seen so far....absolutely no one.

True about Chubb and Bammer last year BUT he got the bulk of his yards against Bammer 3s and 4s. He was a very ordinary RB against Bammers 1st teamers the game was out of reach when Richt left him in to pile up yards. You have some sort of thing for Chubb, I remain unconvinced about him, time will tell. Fournette he is the real deal but his staff in Baton Rouge does not help him the way Richt did at UGA for Chubb.

Great article. Only thing I question is the paragraph toward the end saying that some scouts knock Jalen for not being maximum effort each week. Are they kidding? This kid runs like somebody just killed his mother and he's trying to get revenge every time he touches it. The ONLY thing left for Hurd to show is an ability to be a better open field runner who can hit a homerun at any point. But nobody should ever question this kid's effort.

Agreed, Jalen's "lack of effort" weeks were when he was injured. He was still giving everything he had.

VN Store

Back