ESPN: How Hurd can win Heisman...

WalterFootball has D4H's unicorn rated as the 9th best pro prospect in 2017. Behind not 1 or 2 SEC backs, but 3. Also rated behind Perine and the white dude from Stanford.

Those guys don't know anything. If you look back to their mock drafts at this time last year they had Hackenberg and Cardale Jones going ahead of Carson Wentz and I believe Jared Goff as well.

It's sad that "Vols fans" can't appreciate the greatness of Jalen Hurd and Josh Dobbs.

I wonder if people were this dismissive of Peyton during his time here? Were there fools saying Danny Wuerefel was better cause he had better stats or won the heisman?

Appreciate what you have. They'll be gone before you know it.

That's like saying Kelvin Benjamin is the same as Calvin Johnson. Just because Henry is 6'3" 245, doesn't mean he's anything like Hurd. What made Calvin special is at 6'5" 237 lbs, he came in and out of his breaks and ran routes like a 6'0" 200 lbs receiver. That's what made him a unicorn.

Similarly, what makes Hurd special is he has the acceleration, first step quickness, and agility of a much smaller running back. Henry on the other hand is your classic big clumsy RB.

So please don't compare Hurd to a future NFL bust like Henry.

So far, Henry appears much quicker, and certainly much faster, than Hurd. Henry is likely going in the 2nd round. If Hurd does not up his YPC by a significant amount, he will not sniff the 2nd round.

So far, Henry appears much quicker, and certainly much faster, than Hurd. Henry is likely going in the 2nd round. If Hurd does not up his YPC by a significant amount, he will not sniff the 2nd round.

Easy there Writer, you're supposed to be the voice of reason here....D4H certainly not gonna appreciate this take. Back on his ish list you go.

Last edited:

Henry has better top end speed but it takes him a while to rev those engines up. It's the main reason he's not going in the 1st round. As a RB, initial burst to get through the hole is more important than long range speed.

Hurd is much quicker, more agile, and the better receiver. That's why he's the better RB. Hurd is going 1st round easily in 2017 while Henry will be lucky to go before the 3rd round.

Last edited:
Henry has better top end speed but it takes him a while to rev those engines up. It's the main reason he's not going in the 1st round. As a RB, initial burst to get through the hole is more important than long range speed.

Hurd is much quicker, more agile, and the better receiver. That's why he's the better RB. Hurd is going 1st round easily in 2017 while Henry will be lucky to go before the 3rd round.

Henry will go in the 2nd rd this year IMO, Jalen late 2nd or 3rd next year. He's likely to be no better than the 4th or 5th RB taken, so do the math....hint: that means he's not going in the 1st rd unless he does something spectacular this year and breaks his 2 season trend line of being a 4.5 yard per carry runner.

That's two largely positive fluff pieces about himself he's taken issue with now. Love the guy, but he needs to get some thicker skin where the media is concerned and let this stuff roll off his back a little more.

He is on top of the world, he may just be trying to generate a way to run with a heightened bad attitude. He enjoys punishing defenders more than embarrassing them with a cut or a juke(maybe a stiff arm). Don't change one little bit JH, you are a beast and it looks like your having fun, keep the edge you have on the field and lead the Vols to Tampa.

Jump higher Vols.

Henry will go in the 2nd rd this year IMO, Jalen late 2nd or 3rd next year. He's likely to be no better than the 4th or 5th RB taken, so do the math....hint: that means he's not going in the 1st rd unless he does something spectacular this year and breaks his 2 season trend line of being a 4.5 yard per carry runner.

This is your problem. All you look at is the now. You can't actually see talent and project.

What's with this if he does something spectacular garbage?

Either Hurd has the talent to be a first rounder or he doesn't. His production next year should have NOTHING to do with it.

This is why there are so many busts. Too many people think like you. They let production fool them into thinking someone has talent.

What Hurd does next year should have no bearing on whether he deserves to be a first rounder. It should be based on his talent. And you should know by now how talented he is.

You are delusional.

This is your problem. All you look at is the now. You can't actually see talent and project.

Either Hurd has the talent to be a first rounder or he doesn't. His production next year should have NOTHING to do with it.

This is why there are so many busts. Too many people think like you. They let production fool them into thinking someone has talent.

What Hurd does next year should have no bearing on whether he deserves to be a first rounder. It should be based on his talent. And you should know by now how talented he is.

You are delusional or trolling. This makes absolutely no sense.

And that's YOUR problem. You look at a guy and say "wow, he looks really cool, I think he can run really fast" and proclaim him a Heisman winner and number one overall pick. It's ridiculous. You did the same crap with Nkemdiche. On the surface, when looking at that kid's measurables, he looks like a top 5 pick....but then when you watch him play, when you look at his production (something that's evidently a foreign concept to you) and the fact that he's virtually allergic to opposing teams' qbs and offensive backfields, his stock drops like a rock, which is what it was doing before all the off the field crap came out about this kid.

Jalen is a big, strong, talented kid with good speed and quickness for his size, plays with great effort and intensity, is very good in pass pro, has excellent hands catching the ball out of the backfield. But Jalen is also a RB who averages 4.5 ypc at the collegiate level, isn't good/elusive in space and hasn't shown any ability to break off a game/changing type splash play. So, no, I don't think he's a first round talent, especially when compared to the handful of RBs who are graded higher than him for next year's draft.

Therefore, if he's gonna have any possible chance of being picked in the first round next year, he's gonna have to fo something "spectacular" this year in terms of production and style of play far beyond what he's done to date IMO....something along the lines of what we've seen from Fournette and Chubb for example. He himself said so in an interview the other day.

In this day and age of pass happy offenses where RBs are rarely taken in the first round anyway, he better be better than a lumbering battering ram incapable of housing any given handoff if he expects to be one of the first 32 picks. Just is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Here are the career yards per carry numbers for the RBs taken in the first two rounds of the last five drafts, including Elliott and Henry (as they will almost certainly go in the first two rounds this year) and Hurd. This list is ranked by YPC:

Melvin Gordon - 7.79
Eddie Lacy - 6.77
Ezekiel Elliott - 6.69
LaMichael James - 6.59
Todd Gurley - 6.44
Jeremy Hill - 6.25
Carlos Hyde - 6.11
Isaiah Pead - 6.03
Derrick Henry - 5.97
Giovanni Bernard - 5.87
Trent Richardson - 5.80
TJ Yeldon - 5.77
David Wilson - 5.76
Amir Abdullah - 5.64
Doug Martin - 5.58
Montee Ball - 5.56
Bishop Sankey - 5.43
Christine Michael - 5.28
Le'Veon Bell - 4.99
Jalen Hurd - 4.68

Nominated for the most asinine post of the year.

Reactions: 3 people

Henry doesn't appear anywhere close to as quick as Hurd from what I've seen...and Hurd isn't that quick. I do agree though that he is a step faster than Hurd running straight ahead.

Last edited:
It's sad that "Vols fans" can't appreciate the greatness of Jalen Hurd and Josh Dobbs.

I wonder if people were this dismissive of Peyton during his time here? Were there fools saying Danny Wuerefel was better cause he had better stats or won the heisman?

Appreciate what you have. They'll be gone before you know it.

D4H, you have got to be the most naive, orange-colored glasses wearing, arrogant person I have ever seen comment on this board. It's like you cannot recognize talent that doesn't wear the orange and white, and you completely dismiss ANYONE who doesn't align with your expert opinions. Guess what, Vol fans DO appreciate what we have, but there are other exceptional athletes out there that may be better than the guys that we root for. I promise you we appreciate what Hurd and Dobbs have done for us, but you're blind if you truly believe that Hurd is the best back and Dobbs is the best QB going to the draft next year.

Reactions: 2 people
Henry doesn't appear anywhere close to as quick as Hurd from what I've seen...and Hurd isn't that quick. I do agree though that he is a step faster than Hurd running straight ahead.

Perhaps it's in how one defines "quick", but Henry is better at making his first cut and hitting the hole than Hurd. I would say that Hurd is more agile.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, to an extent we are comparing apples and oranges here. As good as Henry is, it is easy to explode out of the starting blocks, so to speak, when your offensive line parts the Red Sea, as Alabama's has on a regular basis. Our offensive line has improved from Jalen's freshman season to his sophomore campaign, but many of his best runs have been the result of transforming three-yard losses into one-yard gains, due to yards after contact. His longest runs have typically occurred after he has been forced to run laterally to the line of scrimmage, turned upfield after clearing the tackle box and gone down the sideline. If you really want a hint of Hurd's straight-line speed, albeit against high-school talent, check out the highlight film of the 2012 state championship game vs. Columbia Central, in which he ran for 394 yards and 7 touchdowns (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Z2Gd3ZL90).

Reactions: 1 person
Here are the career yards per carry numbers for the RBs taken in the first two rounds of the last five drafts, including Elliott and Henry (as they will almost certainly go in the first two rounds this year) and Hurd. This list is ranked by YPC:

Melvin Gordon - 7.79
Eddie Lacy - 6.77
Ezekiel Elliott - 6.69
LaMichael James - 6.59
Todd Gurley - 6.44
Jeremy Hill - 6.25
Carlos Hyde - 6.11
Isaiah Pead - 6.03
Derrick Henry - 5.97
Giovanni Bernard - 5.87
Trent Richardson - 5.80
TJ Yeldon - 5.77
David Wilson - 5.76
Amir Abdullah - 5.64
Doug Martin - 5.58
Montee Ball - 5.56
Bishop Sankey - 5.43
Christine Michael - 5.28
Le'Veon Bell - 4.99
Jalen Hurd - 4.68

And the best RB in the league is at the bottom.

Good correlation for Hurd.

And that's YOUR problem. You look at a guy and say "wow, he looks really cool, I think he can run really fast" and proclaim him a Heisman winner and number one overall pick. It's ridiculous. You did the same crap with Nkemdiche. On the surface, when looking at that kid's measurables, he looks like a top 5 pick....but then when you watch him play, when you look at his production (something that's evidently a foreign concept to you) and the fact that he's virtually allergic to opposing teams' qbs and offensive backfields, his stock drops like a rock, which is what it was doing before all the off the field crap came out about this kid.

Jalen is a big, strong, talented kid with good speed and quickness for his size, plays with great effort and intensity, is very good in pass pro, has excellent hands catching the ball out of the backfield. But Jalen is also a RB who averages 4.5 ypc at the collegiate level, isn't good/elusive in space and hasn't shown any ability to break off a game/changing type splash play. So, no, I don't think he's a first round talent, especially when compared to the handful of RBs who are graded higher than him for next year's draft.

Therefore, if he's gonna have any possible chance of being picked in the first round next year, he's gonna have to fo something "spectacular" this year in terms of production and style of play far beyond what he's done to date IMO....something along the lines of what we've seen from Fournette and Chubb for example. He himself said so in an interview the other day.

In this day and age of pass happy offenses where RBs are rarely taken in the first round anyway, he better be better than a lumbering battering ram incapable of housing any given handoff if he expects to be one of the first 32 picks. Just is what it is.

No ones reading that novel.

But I will say that Robert Nkemdiche will be a pro bowler if he can stay out of trouble off the field. I think he has a much better career (from a production standpoint) in the pros than he did in college.

He'll be a better pro than Joey Bosa. A guy who lacks elite NFL talent.

Nominated for the most asinine post of the year.

In college football it's easy to put up big stats if you have more talent around you and consistently face inferior competition. Its why bums like Trent Richardson look all-world in college then look like trash in the NFL.

Melvin Gordon is another guy who has been exposed by the league as a product of a fraudelent system.

You need someone like me who can spot talent to know who can ball and who can't. Right now college stats have almost no correlation to pro success.

Last edited:
D4H, you have got to be the most naive, orange-colored glasses wearing, arrogant person I have ever seen comment on this board. It's like you cannot recognize talent that doesn't wear the orange and white, and you completely dismiss ANYONE who doesn't align with your expert opinions. Guess what, Vol fans DO appreciate what we have, but there are other exceptional athletes out there that may be better than the guys that we root for. I promise you we appreciate what Hurd and Dobbs have done for us, but you're blind if you truly believe that Hurd is the best back and Dobbs is the best QB going to the draft next year.

You've never seen me or will never see me say Derek Barnett is better than Myles Garrett or that Todd Kelly is as good as Jamal Adams. There are many guys who are not Vols better than guys on our team.

Yall are just wrong about Dobbs and Hurd. Those are generational players that you will fail to appreciate till its too late.

Last edited:
In college football it's easy to put up big stats if you have more talent around you and consistently face inferior competition. Its why bums like Trent Richardson look all-world in college then look like trash in the NFL.

Melvin Gordon is another guy who has been exposed by the league as a product of a fraudelent system.

You need someone like me who can spot talent to know who can ball and who can't. Right now college stats have almost no correlation to pro success.

"Someone like me who can spot talent." Lol, you are joking right?! So who's on your big board Todd McShay? You're ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back