ESPN: How Hurd can win Heisman...

Stupid pop media award. Do not care.

Just wanted to impart a little sunshine.

Say what you will about the award but the fact remains if Hurd wins it this year I can guarantee we will be in ATL with our best record since 01

He will have a great year. But I seriously doubt he will have the kind of gaudy numbers needed to win Heisman because he has to share the backfield with Dobbs and Kamara. That's a great thing for UT football, but bad for Hurds chances of winning a Heisman.

Reactions: 2 people
The Heisman does not carry the same weight it once did. I'm sure he would love to win it. I'm sure it would be a great thing for UT from a recruiting standpoint - but the best player doesn't always win it. There is way too much politics involved.

And I am positive that if it appears a Tennessee player may win it - they will decide to give it to a defensive player from Michigan.

Reactions: 4 people
The last few backs that have won it has averaged well over 5 per carry I believe. They have also had great OLs to run behind. The OL should be solid this year so hopefully Hurd can get over that 5 per carry mark. I won't hold my breathe for him winning it, he absolutely has the potential to do it though.

Agree. OL should be better, has Dobbs and AK to spread the defense's attention, hopefully our passing game finally gets going and hopefully we see Jalen a decent amount of times in the offset I like we did vs Northwestern. All those things combined, plus an improved Jalen Hurd running in space, and perhaps he gets serious consideration for all the top awards he's eligible for. Like you said, the talent and potential is certainly there.

Reactions: 1 person
Putting up big numbers during big games will help. If Hurd has huge games against VT, UF, UGA and Bama, he'll get a lot of attention.

Hurd has been somewhat overlooked. Having Kamara named co-captain had to feel like a bit of a slight to Hurd, especially since he's an in-state kid who has been all-in from Day 1.

Best complete back in the SEC. His blocking ability and catching out of the backfield will get him highly drafted, not including his rushing numbers.

Some guy with a funny name from Louisiana says "hello"

Some guy with a funny name from Louisiana says "hello"
That funny name guy has an issue the guy from Georgia has, seems he cannot be reliably counted on to receive a pass, hands of stone, should have been a boxer.

Now Hurd and Kamara have not that issue.

I personally don't think Jalen can put up Heisman like numbers because of the two-headed monster we have with Kamara. Now, if he decides to stay for his senior season then yes he most certainly should. He's just not going to get enough carries to make it to Heisman type numbers.

He will get 15-20 carries per game probably but Kamara will get his too. Sharing the load like this won't allow Hurd to compete for the Heisman this coming season. I love Hurd. He's a rare talent but I also love that we have Kamara who's a different monster.

Reactions: 4 people
Hurd does everything well. He has a complete game. His one weakness is that extra gear in the open field. If it turns out he's got that, and shows it this year, then he can absolutely put himself in the Heisman discussion.

If it turns out he simply doesn't have that gear, then he'll still have a great year. It just won't come with a bunch of hardware.

This is it plain and simple. Love the guy no matter what. Seems like yesterday I was waiting for his freshmen year to start.

Jalen soft?

Outback Bowl Highlights: Jalen Hurd Stiff Arm - YouTube

That was a defensive lineman getting abused by Jalen's stiff arm.

I want to see him do that to the other little Jalen that's been talking smack. Put his azz straight to the ground and make him woozy getting back up.

Actually, I'd love to see the stiff arm on one play, then the bulldozer like he did against UGA, just to prove a point that Tabor ain't crap.

That funny name guy has an issue the guy from Georgia has, seems he cannot be reliably counted on to receive a pass, hands of stone, should have been a boxer.

I'm showing Hurd as having 22 catches for 190 yards. Fournette, with one fewer game, had 19 for 253 yards while Chubb in his Fr year (obviously he was lost for the season early last year) had 18 for 213.

I'm not sure the stats bear out your observation.

Reactions: 2 people
He will never get enough carries. Tennessee rarely has a feature back. We have three that could play in the NFL right now. Besides, getting too many carries would only shorten his NFL career and put his health in jeopardy. The smart thing is for him to share the load with the other two backs and stay healthy for big moments. Kamara needs the carries to show the NFL what he can do and John Kelly is probably aching for playing time.

Say what you will about the award but the fact remains if Hurd wins it this year I can guarantee we will be in ATL with our best record since 01

Yes. And that would be a beautiful thing. Not a fan of players getting measured by awards coming from agenda driven media types.

He will never get enough carries. Tennessee rarely has a feature back. We have three that could play in the NFL right now. Besides, getting too many carries would only shorten his NFL career and put his health in jeopardy. The smart thing is for him to share the load with the other two backs and stay healthy for big moments. Kamara needs the carries to show the NFL what he can do and John Kelly is probably aching for playing time.

He averaged 23 touches per game last year, which included only 13 vs WCar and 17 vs North Texas. I think Fournette averaged 26 by comparison, so I'm not sure a lack of touches is the issue. I think he has do more with the touches he gets, find a way to turn 4.6 ypc to 6.4 ypc. Then he'd instantly be in the conversion IMO.

I feel sure Hurd will play enough to get the 892 yards he needs for the career rushing record. Barring injury, he'll probably have another 1000+ yard season... but Fournette and Chubb will have less competition for carries and their numbers will reflect that.

McCaffrey will be splitting carries a lot more this year, so his numbers are likely to drop, too. It's great for Hurd to be in the conversation, but he would have to be unstoppable to become the Heisman frontrunner.

Favorite quote in the article.

"At Tennessee, we catch, we block, we run," Hurd said. "That's our standard here, to be a complete back."

I feel sure Hurd will play enough to get the 892 yards he needs for the career rushing record. Barring injury, he'll probably have another 1000+ yard season... but Fournette and Chubb will have less competition for carries and their numbers will reflect that.

McCaffrey will be splitting carries a lot more this year, so his numbers are likely to drop, too. It's great for Hurd to be in the conversation, but he would have to be unstoppable to become the Heisman frontrunner.

Chubb has only averaged 16 carries per game over 19 games thus far in his career. He's also split time/touches with both Gurley and Michel. The difference is, he's averaged 7.4 yards per carry, or nearly 3 full yards more than Jalen.

VN Store

Back