DEI = Racism

Because most professional degrees don't get one ready for the real world. there is a big difference in learning about something, and doing it.

That's what I was hoping someone would post, Thanks.

Maybe it's time we go back to the old ways of doing things, apprenticeships and such then a professional exam. End the need to spend tens/hundreds of thousands on schools. There are still states that allow attorneys to apprentice then take the BAR without ever attending law school.

I agree with their point that there are better measures of proficiency. I see many people who passed the bar and are terrible attorneys. Likewise, some of the worst law school students turn out to be very good attorney. I think an internship of sorts and a recommendation based on that is better way to "test."
The issue here isn't how important is the bar exam...but rather should they do away with it because too many minorities are failing it?

Why doesn't a law degree in itself make a person qualified to be a practicing attorney?
Do you realize that law school isn't even a requirement in Wa State?

However, there are exceptions. California, Virginia, and Washington offer an alternative route through structured apprenticeship programs. These programs allow aspiring lawyers to gain the necessary legal education and training without attending traditional law school.

Hell, you don't even have to go to law school. I know this 'cause I have a relative that's a lawyer out there and she makes good side money by doing one of these apprentice programs

Reactions: GroverCleveland

Hell, you don't even have to go to law school. I know this 'cause I have a relative that's a lawyer out there and she makes good side money by doing one of these apprentice programs

I didn't know about Washington, I knew about VA because a chick I went to HS with is a lawyer in the Tidewater area. She apprenticed and passed the bar instead of going to law school. From what I hear she's pretty damn good.

But that is the point I was driving at, the problem isn't the exam it's the schools. The rest of the states need to do away with the school requirement and allow apprenticeships. IMO it's theft when a person is allowed to graduate law school and they are not capable of practicing.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I didn't know about Washington, I knew about VA because a chick I went to HS with is a lawyer in the Tidewater area. She apprenticed and passed the bar instead of going to law school. From what I hear she's pretty damn good.

But that is the point I was driving at, the problem isn't the exam it's the schools. The rest of the states need to do away with the school requirement and allow apprenticeships. IMO it's theft when a person is allowed to graduate law school and they are not capable of practicing.
If they allow apprenticeships then they need a BAR exam more than ever.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Well, that's the reason they're doing away with it. If we're not discussing that then we're missing the point

As I read the article there were two reasons. I agree the exam, standing alone, doesn't mean much and there are better alternatives. I don't agree that some sort of perceived minority bias justifies nixing it.

1710979961384.png

Reactions: Boca Vol
Why doesn't a law degree in itself make a person qualified to be a practicing attorney?
All 3 of the most popular post-undergrad schools have their own entrance exam.

Medical School and MCAT
Business School and GMAT
Law School and the LSAT

Both Law & Medical School graduates must pass a certification exam - the Bar & Boards.

There is no certification exam for Business School graduates - you need not be professionally “certified” to conduct business.

Also, Business School entrants usually have 3-5 years experience in the real world prior to starting their program.
The vast majority of Law & Medical school entrants are straight through from undergrad.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back