DEI = Racism

I think a reasonable question is, "are DEI policies effective at reducing racism and bringing people together?". I think even its ardent supporters, if honest would have to admit abject failure there. In fact, by many accounts, we are becoming a MORE polarized society since the widescale push for DEI. Now that indicates either the people at the top who are supporting this are stupid and can't see what they are getting for their money or they are quite smart and can see EXACTLY what they are getting for their money...i.e. division and hatred that keeps people divided. When all the plebes are fighting each other for the scraps, they wont notice the patricians stealing the very walls.

I think a reasonable question is, "are DEI policies effective at reducing racism and bringing people together?". I think even its ardent supporters, if honest would have to admit abject failure there. In fact, by many accounts, we are becoming a MORE polarized society since the widescale push for DEI. Now that indicates either the people at the top who are supporting this are stupid and can't see what they are getting for their money or they are quite smart and can see EXACTLY what they are getting for their money...i.e. division and hatred that keeps people divided. When all the plebes are fighting each other for the scraps, they wont notice the patricians stealing the very walls.
When I was younger I thought our country was a melting pot, I thought it was like a stew…putting different ingredients together to make a delicious meal.

Apparently the melting pot is more like a Bunsen burner separating us into solids, liquids and gases.

Do DEI policies foster racism? Further do they foster tribalism and division?

Honestly, depends on how it's done. I've seen ham-handed approaches that are counterproductive. I've also done well thought out trainings that are helpful, in particular with unconscious bias. It is undeniable that unconscious bias affects decision-making.

The more ham-handed ones I've seen concern transgender stuff.

I was hoping this would foster more discussion.

I have been asking for years "why is diversity 'better'", and I have never gotten a good answer. The answers I have gotten usually ran along the lines of 'because it gives us different perspectives' and things like that. While that as a goal might be a noble one, in practice it became a new quota system.

This is where liberalism fails and does so miserably. Human beings do not want to be forced into decisions affecting their lives, especially by the 'tribe' that doesn't represent them. It is laughable to me that the luthers of the world refer to Trump as a fascist, yet fail to acknowledge their own authoritarian boot on our neck.

It's mind boggling really.

I have been asking for years "why is diversity 'better'", and I have never gotten a good answer. The answers I have gotten usually ran along the lines of 'because it gives us different perspectives' and things like that. While that as a goal might be a noble one, in practice it became a new quota system.

This is where liberalism fails and does so miserably. Human beings do not want to be forced into decisions affecting their lives, especially by the 'tribe' that doesn't represent them. It is laughable to me that the luthers of the world refer to Trump as a fascist, yet fail to acknowledge their own authoritarian boot on our neck.

I’ll answer this in a bit. I’ve got it all figured out.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I’ll answer this in a bit. I’ve got it all figured out.
@SpaceCoastVol - I had an entire answer typed out…. then the page reloaded on its own and I lost it all…

I could do an entire thread on (d)iversity vs (D)iversity - why “small d” diversity is so beloved, useful, and used by many of us every day (think your stock portfolio allocations). And why “big D” Diversity is a dangerous bastardization moonlighting as “small d” diversity.

It was simply Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) for a long time - but that was not enough to generate the desired result of closing achievement gaps.

Enter Equity - the new “E” in DEI. This is the latest (widely circulating) incarnation.

Equality = equality of opportunity
Equity = equality of outcome

Not only must others be present - Diversity
They must also have a voice - Inclusion
And they must be equally successful - Equity

It is with the introduction of Equity that we really went off the rails. And DEI has been a wellspring for a whole lot of pain.

But if you think Equity (forced equal outcomes) is bad… just wait…

Justice is the final form of this movement (from the current looks of it jmo). And it is easily the most pernicious of the soon to be floated “DEIJ”. But I’ll save that for another day.

To me, DE and I training is just a pointless waste of time. I've had to attend several DE and I workshops required and just have to ask why? Why force this shallow crap on people? I could be doing so many other more productive things with the time and resources I'm having to expend doing this training.

To me, DE and I training is just a pointless waste of time. I've had to attend several DE and I workshops required and just have to ask why? Why force this shallow crap on people? I could be doing so many other more productive things with the time and resources I'm having to expend doing this training.
Classic Boondoggle

Reactions: AM64 and tbh
I started working professionally over 40 years ago, and I had to take some form of these training classes every year or two, way back then. They were always taught by a black person, or team of black people and the theme was always the same.

Reactions: AM64

So much for the days when the best applicant was chosen, based upon qualifications, merit, etc.

Reactions: dillyo51 and AM64

VN Store

Back