Butch vs Media

Someone hypothesized in another thread that Bob Mueller is acting in an official (or at least semi-official) capacity when he "leaks" information here. Something along the lines of, he works for Christopher Echols, the Director of Internet Communications, and isn't at any risk for what he's doing, because he's doing it with the full knowledge and consent of, Butch & Co.

No idea if that's true. But it would certainly explain his complete insouciance at providing program-insider information even when Butch is battening down the hatches on the local media.

Yeah, he comes across as arrogant and prickly, but meh, it is what it is. I appreciate the updates he provides, even if they are usually bad news. At least we can be pretty confident it's not another Brad Matthews midnight scud launch. ;)

Why are all of you so giddy about Butch sticking it to the very people that you demand give you information whenever you want it? Can't have it both ways.

Who's giddy? And who is demanding?

Look, we all like having more information on the team we love. But most of us don't want it if it means hurting or distracting the players, their families, or the coaching staff.

It really is that simple.

I still don't get the outrage over the inaccurate report on the extent of North's injury. How was North, the program, Or Butch actually harmed by the bad report? Other than the inconvenience of having to reassure North's family that he is ok, how was anyone really harmed?

If you were North's mom, "finding out" in the middle of the night when a worried cousin or uncle texted/called you asking if it's true, maybe you'd feel different.

Remember, not only did this Brad kid create a story out of false information, he did so starting at about 9 or 10 pm. This thing got legs as the night deepened.

If you're a parent, I'm sure you know how worried you can get about your children who have recently left home. Every time they get in a car and out on the highway, you worry at least a little. It's just part of being a parent. So to potentially get that call you really don't want to get...then find out after waking up half a dozen people in Knoxville that it's not true...well, wouldn't you be pissed? Relieved, but seriously pissed?

And if you're the coach or assistant coach who had to take that call at 4 am and spent the next three hours chasing the rumor down to confirm it's just not true, you'd be dragging butt the whole next day. And pretty pissed yourself.

Our program doesn't need the distraction. Our players don't need the invasion of privacy. And their families don't need the worry.

That's why, Fade.

Reactions: 2 people

Look, we all like having more information on the team we love. But most of us don't want it if it means hurting or distracting the players, their families, or the coaching staff.

If you were North's mom, "finding out" in the middle of the night when a worried cousin or uncle texted/called you asking if it's true, maybe you'd feel different.

Remember, not only did this Brad kid create a story out of false information, he did so starting at about 9 or 10 pm. This thing got legs as the night deepened.

If you're a parent, I'm sure you know how worried you can get about your children who have recently left home. Every time they get in a car and out on the highway, you worry at least a little. It's just part of being a parent. So to potentially get that call you really don't want to get...then find out after waking up half a dozen people in Knoxville that it's not true...well, wouldn't you be pissed? Relieved, but seriously pissed?

And if you're the coach or assistant coach who had to take that call at 4 am and spent the next three hours chasing the rumor down to confirm it's just not true, you'd be dragging butt the whole next day. And pretty pissed yourself.

Our program doesn't need the distraction. Our players don't need the invasion of privacy. And their families don't need the worry.

That's why, Fade.

How hard is it for North to send this text to his mom - "mom, I'm fine. Tweaked my knee, be out a week or two. Initial report is false".?

This Brad guy hurt his own career FAR worse than any hurt to North, Butch, or the program.

I still don't get the outrage over the inaccurate report on the extent of North's injury. How was North, the program, Or Butch actually harmed by the bad report? Other than the inconvenience of having to reassure North's family that he is ok, how was anyone really harmed?

My opinion has nothing to do with North or any specific player. I just feel that Butch has the right to limit access and information, especially pertaining to injuries. Other coaches and other programs do it as a matter of policy, and I think UT has the same right.

Journalist (VQ, ESPN Insider, 247 VIP) are all trying to make an extra buck or two by selling you their opinion or info on players/recruits/recruiting so it is important to them to be FIRST to report something even if that something has not been verified. No one, especially those paying for such information should have a problem with Butch insuring that info being reported is accurate.

That's why, Fade.

This, I agree with. The unfortunate side effect of those with good intentions, "throw the baby out with the bath water".
An actual journalist reporting rumors as a story, I have a problem with. Normal access for the sec (I really don't care what the Big 12 does, we're not them), shouldn't be compromised over 1 instance.

I could find a negative to anything, I have no intent on prohibiting everything.

In this world of irresponsible reporting literally everywhere you look what CBJ is doing makes sense.

Reactions: 1 person
These scholarship athletes are not employed, professional athletes of the NFL. We are not entitled to every detail of their lives up to and including the exact time and nature of injuries. Wes Rucker can go piss and moan to somebody who cares...which is to a mirror because no one else does.

Yes we are! See the A.J. Johnson threads! Lol

How hard is it for North to send this text to his mom - "mom, I'm fine. Tweaked my knee, be out a week or two. Initial report is false".?

This Brad guy hurt his own career FAR worse than any hurt to North, Butch, or the program.

Not gonna debate it with you, Fade. You asked, I answered. It is not North's job to counter false rumors about his health. And it's certainly not his or his mom's job to accept some percentage of the 'hurt,' not even a small share of it. If the "hurt pie" is divvied up any way other than 100% to Brad, 0% to everyone else, then they're getting too much and he hasn't gotten his full quota.

The problem here is not about Butch controlling the media. Its about the media controlling themselves. When you are a journalist you have a responsibility to do your due diligence when you publish a story. If you don't, you get put out of a job, and possibly worse, depending on whether you harm someone, and whether they are a public or private figure, etc. As head of the Tennessee football program Butch can close practice to the media outlets if he chooses. There is no right to the information. This is not a Freedom of Information Act issue. If the media is not going to police itself, as it should, then Butch can do so, and he has. Plenty of programs shutter themselves to the media. The media is forcing Butch to do the same. Butch has let the media in for two years and now they are abusing the privilege. Time to reign it in for awhile.

Reactions: 3 people
yes, but rumors will still get out there and make it's way into social media..which is exactly why if the professionals call over there they should confirm before speculation turns to outrageous rumors..I think Twain said it best

0171f4b5f4688d156be93fbcfb06e4ce.jpg

Oh good, another Sam Clemens fan. Did you know if you are a Kindle person you can buy everything he wrote for 99 cents?

The problem here is not about Butch controlling the media. Its about the media controlling themselves. When you are a journalist you have a responsibility to do your due diligence when you publish a story. If you don't, you get put out of a job, and possibly worse, depending on whether you harm someone, and whether they are a public or private figure, etc. As head of the Tennessee football program Butch can close practice to the media outlets if he chooses. There is no right to the information. This is not a Freedom of Information Act issue. If the media is not going to police itself, as it should, then Butch can do so, and he has. Plenty of programs shutter themselves to the media. The media is forcing Butch to do the same. Butch has let the media in for two years and now they are abusing the privilege. Time to reign it in for awhile.

You are correct that it's not a rights issue. It's more of a customer service issue. Reading this thread, it's become obvious that many feel that the schools play football for free and we are lucky that we are allowed to hear anything.
I could waste my time explaining how "ignorance is bliss" that take is, it would do no good. I've never stopped writing my check to UT, they have always been willing to listen to my concerns. While unpopular on this thread, the audience does have a voice.
And thank goodness. With the stance many of you take, I would still be wondering how Dooleys' last two #25 classes were about to perform.

It's not like this is the White House or congress. This is college football.

Butch can hide or say whatever he wants to whoever he wants. Considering I know when the players sneeze and take a dump due to social media and the mass scale of "reporting" mechanisms out there, I'd say information is wide open.

Maybe if journalists hadn't followed an 18 year old to take his ACT, or Butch didn't have to call Marquez's parents to tell them their kid's season wasn't over, things would be different.

I understand HIPAA...hell I teach it every term, but it's naïve to think that its not going to get out..Gaulden's injury was on here an hour after he announced his policy..It's fine if he wants to be cautious, but call the parents and then say we will know more later to the press folks

Your right. Gaulden's injury was on here an hour after practice. It was reported as season ending, then it was reported as not looking good and then it was reported as we don't know and finally it ended with it being a month or maybe a little more. Which is where it sits right now. Not all of these reports were on this board. But they are all indicative of the issue.

This is what Butch is trying to combat. The seeming endless desire by fans of this and many more universities that decide to become amateur reporters and physicians and report injuries that they did not observe and gain what people on this site refer to as "e cred".

It is this type of reporting regarding recruiting, practice, injuries and many other situations that cause all kinds of problems for the staff and the administration of the University of Tennessee.

Last edited:
When all the blogger and internet wannabees start reporting responsibly, maybe Butch will back off. I'm with him.

Butch has no control over the media or over social media. All he has control over is how quickly he releases the information and how accurate it is. Anything that delays that or that obfuscates it creates the probability of more misinformation being passed around or of rumors starting. If he is stingy with information then the void will be filled with rumors.

The appetite for news about the team will be fed. You can either feed it with the truth or you can sit and see what sort of speculation the media and the fans can come up with. Those are your only choices.

What I find fascinating is that the media is currently losing its mind that saban announced the same kind of policy today. The national media. But when CBJ said basically the same thing yesterday no one cared LOL. Oh the consistency...

Your right. Gaulden's injury was on here an hour after practice. It was reported as season ending, then it was reported as not looking good and then it was reported as we don't know and finally it ended with it being a month or maybe a little more. Which is where it sits right now.

This is what Butch is trying to combat. The seeming endless desire by fans of this and many more universities that decide to become amateur reporters and physicians and report injuries that they did not observe and gain what people on this site refer to as "e cred".

It is this type of reporting regarding recruiting, practice, injuries and many other situations that cause all kinds of problems for the staff and the administration of the University of Tennessee.

Are you sure that's what you mean? I just double checked and that's not even close to true?

dictating to the press what they can and cannot say is never a good thing... see Benjamin Franklin for more on this

Obviously the OP is part of the affected media, or he's some sort of Twitter jockey wanting to get some recognition for his post.

Twitter is NOT a news outlet. Facebook is NOT a news outlet. People go there to "break news" because it's quicker but they usually don't have enough facts about it before they do. Being first is nowhere near as respectable as being right. These lazy beat writers need to learn that.

I personally wouldn't mind if coach shut down all media until the season starts. Their whining is just making themselves look worse.

This is a reaction to the feeling of entitlement that permeates every fanbase in college sports. The feeling that we must know everything that happens on the football field.

Last week, a media member reported a rumor that was spread by a fan on social media. He did so without getting information from the Athletic Department and created a situation where a players parents received word that their so had been severely injured on the practice field and would be forced to miss the upcoming season.

As we know now, this was not true. But, unfortunately, Butch Jones had to take time out of his busy schedule to talk to North's parents to confirm to them that he had been injured, but that the severity of the injury had not been diagnosed. After that, I am sure there were several meetings held to make sure that nobody from his staff or from the AD had started the rumor.

Butch has nipped this in the bud by simply stating that he will be the only point of accurate information regarding injuries. I would suggest to media members who continue to report rumors and guesses on the severity of injuries that they do so at the risk of losing their priveleges.

Read this quote. When you're finished, read it again. If you still have questions, read it a third time or perhaps have someone with a higher level of reading comprehension read it to you, because it is 100% on point.

The young men who play for UT and especially their parents deserve better than what happened with North last week. I can't imagine how his parents reacted. Butch is absolutely right on this particular subject.

VN Store

Back