Butch vs Media

yes but the bigger issue is this..they are trying to control the message by releasing info to the outlets that agree to play by their rules..you might not like John Adams but you could always be sure that he was not a puppet to the program

Every coach has their preferred way to release info. Yes it's because that reporter usually puts the program in a positive light. I don't understand why anyone takes issue or is surprised.

Are your defending the media to release what ever information they want, regardless of the sensitivity? I am willing to bet you would not want you personal information broadcasted. The freedom of speech is not a free for all, it suppose to be managed responsibly, by everyone. I am beginning to think that media, especially John Adams, feels their entitled. He is a hack...and this is my opinion, also I heard he use to be woman, but that has not been confirmed by his camp...but it could be true.

definitely not..if they get it wrong they would be out of a job pretty quickly..but I think we need a healthy media to keep a watch on the program...look at what's going on at Baylor..Briles denied knowing about Ukwuachu's violent past..it took the media to investigate and to discover that BSU warned him...proving that he lied..I don't want that to happen at my school..UT is bigger than one coach

Reactions: 3 people
yes but the bigger issue is this..they are trying to control the message by releasing info to the outlets that agree to play by their rules..you might not like John Adams but you could always be sure that he was not a puppet to the program

It's their program, they have every right to control the message that they release.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch should choose his arguments wisely. For recruiting and just general pr, he should want the media to like him. And it makes no sense for him to try keeping injury reports under wraps this time of year. I get it if it's mid week, game week. But obviously it's not.

Looks to me like he does let the reporting happen once he has full details. After the deal with North I don't blame him. He tried to let the media in and got burnt. At this point this is his team. How about fans and reporters alike let him run his team and win some games.

definitely not..if they get it wrong they would be out of a job pretty quickly..but I think we need a healthy media to keep a watch on the program...look at what's going on at Baylor..Briles denied knowing about Ukwuachu's violent past..it took the media to investigate and to discover that BSU warned him...proving that he lied..I don't want that to happen at my school..UT is bigger than one coach

Well, I think the issue presently is the LACK of investigation that is the problem.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch is doing everything he can to win ball games. If he thinks releasing injury updates will make it harder to win it's probably true. I think these media idiots forget the fact that their lives will get better and they will get more attention if the VOLS start to win more! They should try to start trying to help in anyway that Butch asks of them. I guarantee it will help their tweet numbers or Facebook clicks or whatever if the Vols are winning. Be part of the solution not part of the problem.

It's their program, they have every right to control the message that they release.

UT is a public school and Coach Jones is a public employee...did you like it when Bud Ford tried to control the media with Kiffen in OUR building?

UT is a public school and Coach Jones is a public employee...did you like it when Bud Ford tried to control the media with Kiffen in OUR building?

I think he is just flexing some muscle here to get a point across. He should be able to do that. Let's not make this into something it is not.

CBJ is technically not a public employee. I don't think any public funds (tax money) go to pay his salary.

I was ok with that, yes. The public doesn't have a right or a need to know everything!

CBJ is technically not a public employee. I don't think any public funds (tax money) goes to pay his salary.

I was ok with that, yes. The public doesn't have a right or a need to know everything!

politicians and the NSA love people like you

politicians and the NSA love people like you

How does that have anything to do with running a college football program?

Sounds like you are a politician or work for the NSA if you think you deserve to know absolutely everything.

Out of respect for the student and his family and friends, hold the news, till he is ready to release it, it is the players business. As for holding info as a competitive advantage, great idea CBJ, if it is to get the media in line to be a little bit responsible about what they are putting out there, I'm good with that too. This ain't no power trip, too much junk and speculation on how he is running the show, so far so good, go win some games...... GO VOLS! WIN em ALL!

In the end, I think it's essential that a player's parents don't hear in the media that their son is put for the season before UT contacts them--and whether it's true or not. What happened with Marquez North is inexcusable, and it absolutely makes sense to me that CBJ would put a stop to that kind of horses**t. Believe it or not, the media has a responsibility to verify their information before they report it. Since that evidently is not going on in Knoxville, more power to Butch.

How does that have anything to do with running a college football program?

Sounds like you are a politician or work for the NSA if you think you deserve to know absolutely everything.

just the opposite..most politicians want us to keep our head in the sand and out of their real dealings..it took hackers to find out about Clinton's home server and the NSA's spying program because the media had grown to comfy and wanted to keep getting feel good stories spoonfed to them

Lots of talk on Twitter and sports radio about the school's policy on releasing injury information. Rucker and Patrick Brown said that if they got confirmation they would release it..where Heather didn't mention Gaulden at all on the radio this morning, Mickey gave her credit for "marking out" some of her notes.

They way I see it is the info is going to get out so Butch should let the media guys do their job instead of trying to control it through the "preferred" outlets..namely Volquest and WNML/WIVK

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP · 3h3 hours ago
If there's a rumor out (and that's where it starts) we chase it. It's our job to confirm/report it.

This is a reaction to the feeling of entitlement that permeates every fanbase in college sports. The feeling that we must know everything that happens on the football field.

Last week, a media member reported a rumor that was spread by a fan on social media. He did so without getting information from the Athletic Department and created a situation where a players parents received word that their so had been severely injured on the practice field and would be forced to miss the upcoming season.

As we know now, this was not true. But, unfortunately, Butch Jones had to take time out of his busy schedule to talk to North's parents to confirm to them that he had been injured, but that the severity of the injury had not been diagnosed. After that, I am sure there were several meetings held to make sure that nobody from his staff or from the AD had started the rumor.

Butch has nipped this in the bud by simply stating that he will be the only point of accurate information regarding injuries. I would suggest to media members who continue to report rumors and guesses on the severity of injuries that they do so at the risk of losing their priveleges.

The Knoxville media is a joke and none of them hardly have any right to use the word "professional" in reference to themselves.

just the opposite..most politicians want us to keep our head in the sand and out of their real dealings..it took hackers to find out about Clinton's home server and the NSA's spying program because the media had grown to comfy and wanted to keep getting feel good stories spoonfed to them

It's not the media had grown too comfy, it's the fact that they didn't want to rush to put a dent in the army that is the Clinton machine. Had it been Bush's Sec. of State, the media would have dug up every ounce of dirt they could find and not stopped until they left a burning rubble. Not meaning to get on the politics tangent....

Running a football program, especially one as big as UT's, is a huge deal with a lot of factors to consider. Controlling the message is extremely important and completely ok. It is not a matter of national security.

This is just the beginning. Eventually the only information on practice will only come from UT or a paid source. Keep kissing Butchs rear people. Total control over what comes out this program will be the ut sports webpage and the sec network. The only footage of practice will be two minute snippets nothing else will be shown. Kim Jung Butch has sucked you in.:cool2:

That is fine by me. I do not need to know how practice went or see 2 minutes of highlights.

This is a reaction to the feeling of entitlement that permeates every fanbase in college sports. The feeling that we must know everything that happens on the football field.

Last week, a media member reported a rumor that was spread by a fan on social media. He did so without getting information from the Athletic Department and created a situation where a players parents received word that their so had been severely injured on the practice field and would be forced to miss the upcoming season.

As we know now, this was not true. But, unfortunately, Butch Jones had to take time out of his busy schedule to talk to North's parents to confirm to them that he had been injured, but that the severity of the injury had not been diagnosed. After that, I am sure there were several meetings held to make sure that nobody from his staff or from the AD had started the rumor.

Butch has nipped this in the bud by simply stating that he will be the only point of accurate information regarding injuries. I would suggest to media members who continue to report rumors and guesses on the severity of injuries that they do so at the risk of losing their priveleges.

QFT. This. 100%.

The Knoxville media is a joke and none of them hardly have any right to use the word "professional" in reference to themselves.

Sadly, I think they've proved that in the last two weeks. And since sports media as a whole depends upon the reports from the Knoxville media, it does UT a huge disservice as a whole.

View attachment 98165

I understand that they think it is their jobs to report things (nature of the business), but they also need to understand the concept of not biting the hand that feeds them. They gripe and moan about only being able to watch a little bit of practice.....how are they going to feel if they get locked out all together for reporting stuff that they didn't want to get out.

Just my opinion, but it has nothing to do with not wanting the information out. It is about curbing the inaccurate information that is consistently coming out and is violating the rules of HIPPA, which he and his staff are required to follow to protect the privacy of his players.

I think the media should respect the privacy of these kids. If the kids or family didn't want anything put out at all I would think a Hippa law would protect that right.

This is just the beginning. Eventually the only information on practice will only come from UT or a paid source. Keep kissing Butchs rear people. Total control over what comes out this program will be the ut sports webpage and the sec network. The only footage of practice will be two minute snippets nothing else will be shown. Kim Jung Butch has sucked you in.:cool2:

That's a bit over dramatic.

Just my opinion, but it has nothing to do with not wanting the information out. It is about curbing the inaccurate information that is consistently coming out and is violating the rules of HIPPA, which he and his staff are required to follow to protect the privacy of his players.

I understand HIPAA...hell I teach it every term, but it's naïve to think that its not going to get out..Gaulden's injury was on here an hour after he announced his policy..It's fine if he wants to be cautious, but call the parents and then say we will know more later to the press folks

VN Store

Back