Butch vs Media

These scholarship athletes are not employed, professional athletes of the NFL. We are not entitled to every detail of their lives up to and including the exact time and nature of injuries. Wes Rucker can go piss and moan to somebody who cares...which is to a mirror because no one else does.

Boom.

Reactions: 1 person
Its really no one's business outside of the athletic department, fans included. I mean is it really going to effect your life that much to not know if Gaulden has a broken foot or not? No its not and if it does your are trying to much to involve yourself in that young mans life.

Boom.

I'm not sure that HIPAA ALLOWS any school to release detailed injury information on any student athlete. It depends on if the SA's sign a statement allowing the school to release the information.

I understand HIPAA...hell I teach it every term, but it's naïve to think that its not going to get out..Gaulden's injury was on here an hour after he announced his policy..It's fine if he wants to be cautious, but call the parents and then say we will know more later to the press folks

That is still no excuse to break the law.

The real issue here is not a lack of credible information. Rather, it is too much discredited information and in a manner that is more about the reporter than it is the student, their family, the program, or the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
just the opposite..most politicians want us to keep our head in the sand and out of their real dealings..it took hackers to find out about Clinton's home server and the NSA's spying program because the media had grown to comfy and wanted to keep getting feel good stories spoonfed to them

This is College Football. Not politics.

The only people who have a problem with what's going on are those who are either in the media and are afraid of losing readers...or those who probably read the National Enquirer while standing in the check out line, because they like reading gossip. Whether it has any merit to it or not.

Most of us want info, because we love our football team, but we want the info to be true. If that means waiting a couple of days for the truth, we're good with that.

If the media gets shut out because their being stupid with the info they are putting out, so be it.

I'm not sure that HIPAA ALLOWS any school to release detailed injury information on any student athlete. It depends on if the SA's sign a statement allowing the school to release the information.

they do have to sign an agreement but its more for statistical analysis than just a general PHI release

I wish CBJ could get in touch with Bob Mueller and have a little sit down. The guy's arrogance is annoying

Or, you could stop clicking... Seems so easy but I can never get an answer as to why people feel like their forced to read at gunpoint.
Nothing against you, just one of the biggest head scratchers I see on hear.

Many Pac-12 schools don't comment on injuries. That's their policy, and LA, San Francisco, Seattle and Eugene media don't *itch, whine and tweet about the injustice. David Shaw and Steve Sarkisian don't have to deal with it, but Butch does. Go figure.

I suspect the local media have overplayed their hands and are now trying to jump on the "freedom of the press, freedom of the press! Press integrity, press independence!" mantra in an effort to win popular support.

Looks like they're not finding it among VolNation. Because we care more about the privacy of the players and the ability of the coaches to focus on what's important going forward, more than we care about some reporter's ability to get the latest scoops to us.

And that's who we're really talking about here, local guys. Not ESPN or SI or USAT reporters, not Chris Low or Mark Schlabach or the like...those guys know how to report responsibly, darn near 100% of the time. No, this is all about the Knoxville and Nashville guys, radio, print, and blog. They're the ones who have been playing fast and loose with available information (sometimes even just rumors).

If the situation were drastically different, they might get public support. If, for instance, Butch had a Jimbo Fisher style reputation for letting favorite players off the hook ... or he didn't respect the legal processes of the unversity and law enforcement ... or if he cared little about academic integrity and success. But Butch's reputation is squeaky clean, and that means he gets all the benefit of the doubt from the public.

The local media are just gonna have to suck it up, pay their penance, and report responsibly what info they do get, so that they can earn the right to more access.

Good on Butch, he's doing the right thing yet again.

Reactions: 4 people
Or, you could stop clicking... Seems so easy but I can never get an answer as to why people feel like their forced to read at gunpoint.
Nothing against you, just one of the biggest head scratchers I see on hear.

The information, while often accurate, isn't the issue. It's the attitude in which it is given. If that makes sense. And I plead guilty to not really looking at who started a thread. I just click when something catches my eye.

just the opposite..most politicians want us to keep our head in the sand and out of their real dealings..it took hackers to find out about Clinton's home server and the NSA's spying program because the media had grown to comfy and wanted to keep getting feel good stories spoonfed to them

LOL...what? The Benghazi investigation brought to light emails from HC sent to and from the Clinton's home server and not from a secure domain. Once the GOP saw this, they ran with it. Since it was not on a regulated secure network, it may have been available to be hacked but there have been NO reports or any confirmation that it was hacked. I can go MUCH deeper into this but this isn't the political forum.

Go Vols

Both sides seem to be taking things to ask extreme (human nature).
We don't have to know things immediately, I find that to be true.
College football is largely funded by the fans and donors. Once the diagnosis is completed and family is notified, it's courtesy to give a standard release. You don't have to provide medical records, just if they will be able to play.

Like anything else though, as soon as people"choose sides", they start going above and beyond necessary.

The information, while often accurate, isn't the issue. It's the attitude in which it is given. If that makes sense. And I plead guilty to not really looking at who started a thread. I just click when something catches my eye.

I understand, but last night you said that you could choose to add him to ignore, solving the problem. I read the threads and go "hmm, interesting". I would prefer to have that option rather than have it removed because others don't read info without over reacting. If people that are bothered by it, add him to ignore, those of us that just take things as a little heads up on a possible story, can read it and move on. Everyone's happier.

Butch has done everything besides literally bending over backwards to please the media. He has done the interviews, spent hours traveling to meet the press, etc. He has given thorough answers and clichés and coach speak.

Now, its football time! Why would anyone want things to be reported without having all the facts. If anything, he is ensuring that these reporters are doing a good job accurately reporting the correct information. I'm all for it. If he decided that there will be NO photos/vids or player coach interviews during any practice for the rest of the year and only after the games, I'd still be good with it.

We're fans. We're passionate. We want to know everything, immediately. But it isn't our right... or our decision. You'll notice that the media is *itching a lot more than the fans. What a shame, losing all that clickbait.

Hey mods how many of these of champions privacy asked you to delete the Mueller thread?

Don't understand the hate for Bob Mueller. Checked his stats and they are off the chart. Why hate someone who tells you the truth. It's not like without him, it would be different. You just wouldn't know until later.

Don't understand the hate for Bob Mueller. Checked his stats and they are off the chart. Why hate someone who tells you the truth. It's not like without him, it would be different. You just wouldn't know until later.

I honestly hate being rude, but I want to be honest.
The reason is because his connections are in a place where injuries or conflicts etc., are what he has access to. In other words, bad news.
Look at all the "leaks" from posters, of good news, not one complaint. So in short, it's people that don't handle bad news well, that are complaining.

To me, it's the same as many debates in this country. People that personally don't like something, want to remove the ability to view/perform/hear/participate in anything that they don't.

Bottom line, it's an age old debate. Rather than change the channel, many just want to ban what they don't like.

Why are all of you so giddy about Butch sticking it to the very people that you demand give you information whenever you want it? Can't have it both ways.

I suspect the local media have overplayed their hands and are now trying to jump on the "freedom of the press, freedom of the press! Press integrity, press independence!" mantra in an effort to win popular support.

Looks like they're not finding it among VolNation. Because we care more about the privacy of the players and the ability of the coaches to focus on what's important going forward, more than we care about some reporter's ability to get the latest scoops to us.

And that's who we're really talking about here, local guys. Not ESPN or SI or USAT reporters, not Chris Low or Mark Schlabach or the like...those guys know how to report responsibly, darn near 100% of the time. No, this is all about the Knoxville and Nashville guys, radio, print, and blog. They're the ones who have been playing fast and loose with available information (sometimes even just rumors).

If the situation were drastically different, they might get public support. If, for instance, Butch had a Jimbo Fisher style reputation for letting favorite players off the hook ... or he didn't respect the legal processes of the unversity and law enforcement ... or if he cared little about academic integrity and success. But Butch's reputation is squeaky clean, and that means he gets all the benefit of the doubt from the public.

The local media are just gonna have to suck it up, pay their penance, and report responsibly what info they do get, so that they can earn the right to more access.

Good on Butch, he's doing the right thing yet again.

I still don't get the outrage over the inaccurate report on the extent of North's injury. How was North, the program, Or Butch actually harmed by the bad report? Other than the inconvenience of having to reassure North's family that he is ok, how was anyone really harmed?

Why are all of you so giddy about Butch sticking it to the very people that you demand give you information whenever you want it? Can't have it both ways.

Don't assume those that support news to be correct and reported in a way that does not harm the program to be demanding or to be "giddy".

Sometimes you just can't frame it up that simple.

I still don't get the outrage over the inaccurate report on the extent of North's injury. How was North, the program, Or Butch actually harmed by the bad report? Other than the inconvenience of having to reassure North's family that he is ok, how was anyone really harmed?

I don't know maybe it is too much to ask someone to do their job in a professional manner. Just crazy I guess!

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back