Butch vs Media

You have made some big leaps or I have been much more unclear than I thought.
It's simple, in general I don't like government institutions to restrict media access by picking and choosing who can and cannot have access. I thought I cleared that up. It's inappropriate for them to only allow "good" media access.

In general, many people might agree with you.

Now that we know how you feel "in general", why do you think media restriction is bad in this situation?

Two separate members of the media (off the top of my head) endorsed those twitter posts by retweeting them. Like it or not, the media has an obligation to report accurately just like the coach has an obligation to protect the student athletes coached by him. I'm sure access will be renewed to those who do their job and report accurately the facts.

I stated that it was started by a student tweet. Those who chose to further the false tweet were not at the facilities when the furthered the tweet. Bad journalism is no excuse IMO to restrict full media pool access to the team events.

In general, many people might agree with you.

Now that we know how you feel "in general", why do you think media restriction is bad in this situation?

First I don't feel I think.

And I'm opposed to any public institution restricting media access to only those who will report what that particular institution wants reported. If were going to do that then we should just remove all media and let the SID do the reporting.

First I don't feel I think.

And I'm opposed to any public institution restricting media access to only those who will report what that particular institution wants reported. If were going to do that then we should just remove all media and let the SID do the reporting.

So you are suggesting that any member of the media should have full access to the football team?

imo Freak should be able to get media credentials or someone he designates and the VOLNATION "reporter" should have the same access as any other member of the press. This site has been around since I think 2004 and is a legit source of information.

wow! THEY SHOULD NOT RESTRICT THE MEDIA TO ONLY THOSE THAT WILL REPORT WHAT THEY (THE INSTITUTION) WANT REPRTED.

You can use "yes" or "no" to answer the question.

Using all caps for an indirect answer does not answer the question directly.

That may be the best you can do.

We can work with it though.

How is the media pool determined?

Any legitimate member of the press. News papers, radio, television and websites that are legit.
What's legit? You know it when you see it.

I'm done with you Hubbard.

You have made some big leaps or I have been much more unclear than I thought.
It's simple, in general I don't like government institutions to restrict media access by picking and choosing who can and cannot have access. I thought I cleared that up. It's inappropriate for them to only allow "good" media access.

Look, it is actually common practice throughout US society (government and non-government both) to have favored media outlets and to vary access levels based on trust, audience, medium, and so on.
  • A guy writing for X Blog published in great detail about the "secret" part of our playbook last year after signing a non-disclosure agreement saying he wouldn't? Well, he's certainly not getting the trusted insider briefing this year.
  • Dude with Y radio station has recorded inflammatory, racially divisive segments and supports Aryan Nation? That guy is absolutely not getting access to our student athletes.
  • Fellow known to sneak away from media-authorized areas into player locker rooms and coaches' offices if you don't keep an eagle eye on him? Yeah, he's out.
  • Guy publishes an absolute falsehood about a player's health, causing his mother a sleepless night and (thankfully only temporary) loss of trust in the University's ability to care for his son. That dude is persona non grata.
People gain reputations for honesty, integrity, and discipline (or the opposites) in their professional lives, and are treated accordingly by ALL who work with them.

So why on earth would you take this degree of discretion away from our football coach?

It makes no sense to me.

Any legitimate member of the press. News papers, radio, television and websites that are legit.
What's legit? You know it when you see it.

I'm done with you Hubbard.

"You know it when you see it."

To put it in your terms, that is a LOL statement and maybe a LMAO statement.

In a round about way, you have answered my question and the answer is "no", not all media should have full access to the football program.

To expound, (and get to the real agenda) only those you think are "legit" should have that kind of access.

Your stance is the same as Coach Jones. You just disagree on who is "legit".

Last edited:
Look, it is actually common practice throughout US society (government and non-government both) to have favored media outlets and to vary access levels based on trust, audience, medium, and so on.
  • A guy writing for X Blog published in great detail about the "secret" part of our playbook last year after signing a non-disclosure agreement saying he wouldn't? Well, he's certainly not getting the trusted insider briefing this year. Dumb to give that to anyone outside the program so that is on the coach
  • Dude with Y radio station has recorded inflammatory, racially divisive segments and supports Aryan Nation? That guy is absolutely not getting access to our student athletes. Really? That's
    your example? Why not add member of ISIS as well?
  • Fellow known to sneak away from media-authorized areas into player locker rooms and coaches' offices if you don't keep an eagle eye on him? Yeah, he's out.Anyone who goes into restricted areas media or not should be expelled
  • Guy publishes an absolute falsehood about a player's health, causing his mother a sleepless night and (thankfully only temporary) loss of trust in the University's ability to care for his son. That dude is persona non grata. That didn't happen while on the premise. Also ESPN, SECN and other national media outlets ran with the story as well. Will they be banned? Of course not
People gain reputations for honesty, integrity, and discipline (or the opposites) in their professional lives, and are treated accordingly by ALL who work with them.

So why on earth would you take this degree of discretion away from our football coach?

It makes no sense to me.

I would suggest your examples are an extremely small % of reporters.

"You know it when you see it."

To put it in your terms, that is a LOL statement and maybe a LMAO statement.

In a round about way, you have answered my question and the answer is "no", not all media should have full access to the football program.

To expound, (and get to the real agenda) only those you think are "legit" should have that kind of access.

Your stance is the same as Coach Jones. You just disagree on who is "legit".

your so smart.....

Obviously ReaderVol is smarter than everyone arguing against him. ALL press should have full access to each and every single aspect of the football program. Thank the lord he has come to bestow his wisdom upon the unwashed masses of Vol Nation.

Obviously ReaderVol is smarter than everyone arguing against him. ALL press should have full access to each and every single aspect of the football program. Thank the lord he has come to bestow his wisdom upon the unwashed masses of Vol Nation.

Please show me and everyone else where I stated this or anything close to it?
Thank you in advance.

I would suggest your examples are an extremely small % of reporters.

You and I don't know what % of reporters do things that are worthy of denying access.

But regardless of whether it's 2% or 20%, by agreeing that one or more media members should reasonably have their access revoked, you have once again changed your point of view.

You're just all over the map, man. I would suggest you take the time to think through your position rationally before arguing it. Will make your perspective much more coherent, to yourself and others.

Bottom line is, Butch is only denying media access to the extent he feels prudent, in order to protect the privacy of his players, and preserve the surprise of his playbook.

He's doing the right thing. You're arguing against it based on nebulous principles that even you can't define clearly. That makes you wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
You and I don't know what % of reporters do things that are worthy of denying access.

But regardless of whether it's 2% or 20%, by agreeing that one or more media members should reasonably have their access revoked, you have once again changed your point of view.Had I stated this in absolute terms then you would have a point

You're just all over the map, man. I would suggest you take the time to think through your position rationally before arguing it. Will make your perspective much more coherent, to yourself and others.Sorry it is hard for you to understand equal access for the media

Bottom line is, Butch is only denying media access to the extent he feels prudent, in order to protect the privacy of his players, and preserve the surprise of his playbook.Absolutely agree that's what he is doing

He's doing the right thing. You're arguing against it based on nebulous principles that even you can't define clearly. That makes you wrong.

LOL ok man you got it.
But I will give you credit for not devolving into the "you hate Butch, you hate UT or the always good "you're a negavol". So thumbs up

Last edited:
This went on so long, I'm not sure what's actually happening. But here is my stance.
I would prefer Jones not ban all media but have no problem with him being selective with the access. And definitely pushing everyone out when the playbook is on display.
He has had a good relationship with the media and used them wisely for support and recruiting. No real reason to mess with that when there is such an easy option on the table.

Last year, I was extremely grateful that media had covered much of the qb competition. We have enough people here that was ready lynch Jones. So many reports backing Butch up, probably kept that number lower than the alternative.
There's just no reason that you can't remove the problem areas while continuing to take advantage of the helpful side.

VN Store

Back