Butch says no grey uniforms for Florida, undecided if we'll wear them at all in 2014

My summary of this thread:

Old Geezer: "Change is scary! Tradition is the only thing that matters!!"

Younguns: "Dat gray iz poppin Gramps. lulz"

Me: "Just win, baby."

In B4 "I'm 22 and I hate the gray blahhhhhhhh. The gray is here and it probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Deal with it.

Suck it, rednecks.
/bluefont off

Reactions: 3 people
Most companies periodically modernize. Style changes with time.

Tradition for the sake of tradition is idiocy. Changes should be purposed. Non-changes should be purposed.

UT has chosen to modernize their brand by including gray. Branding is about strengthening the identity. I dare say that the average person watching UT play in gray uniforms still very strongly identifies Tennessee with orange. In fact, I would bet that it did alot to raise awareness of the whole UT brand.

Reactions: 2 people
Most companies periodically modernize. Style changes with time.

Tradition for the sake of tradition is idiocy. Changes should be purposed. Non-changes should be purposed.

UT has chosen to modernize their brand by including gray. Branding is about strengthening the identity. I dare say that the average person watching UT play in gray uniforms still very strongly identifies Tennessee with orange. In fact, I would bet that it did alot to raise awareness of the whole UT brand.

Coca-Cola will argue the necessity in changing. However, I've never been opposed of changing the style. While I hated the 2002 thick Orange stripe, it was an acceptable change to the uniform. Style is different from adding/changing the colors. I've liked the changes to the jerseys of late. I really liked the Orange collar on the road jerseys when Dooley did that. But those changes are different than doing what many are begging for.

Last edited:
This game is in the bag. My in-laws will be in town.

Take every penny you have and head to Las Vegas and put it all on the Vols and retire.

You can thank me later.

Reactions: 1 person
Coca-Cola will argue the necessity in changing. HoWeber, I've never been opposed of changing the style. While I hated the 2002 thick Orange stripe, it was an acceptable change to the uniform. Style is different from adding/changing the colors. I've liked the changes to the jerseys of late. I really liked the Orange collar on the road jerseys when Dooley did that. But those changes are different than doing what many are begging for.

The CocaCola logo has changed over the years. They have definitely modernized.

The CocaCola logo has changed over the years. They have definitely modernized.

But, since I said that changing styles is good, I thought it was implied that I was referring to their colors. White on red. That's it. The style changed, but the colors remained intact. That's the point. Change the style, but the colors need to stay the same.

Maybe pants with no stripes.
Deongrantuf98.jpg

My all time fav and with a white jersey is the REAL Storm Trooper.

While we are on the topic...Bring back the black outline and remove the Tennessee script from the front of the away jerseys.

This:

DSC_3385-lg.jpg

Looks better than:

hi-res-5571e14b59d1f2135f7eabb4196720c0_crop_north.

I agree. Those looked sweet and this is coming from a traditionalist. I remember when the outline was added in 1995. That began the best four year period of being a Vol fan that I can recall.

Here you go:

Our Palette | The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Sorry. It's official. I know you guys hate it, but you really need to get over it.

SHEEEYEEEEIIIIIAT!!!!!

How $@#&/$$! CUTE!!

When we gonna see a Torch & Limestone uni?

Until they put this "palette" together for the PR campaign to roll out the alternate unis, no one in Tennessee sports history had EVER heard of "smokey" grey. That is a fact.

Yes, we had a couple of years in the early 1900's when we had a couple of greys and black. But I will garundamntee you those were just some available base color options from manufacturers; and in no way were they official Tennessee colors.

School sports colors everywhere, with few if any exceptions have traditionally been only TWO, across time and geography. Things I hate about the whole "Our Palette" thing is UT's administration and 'marketing' departments coming up with all those damn stooooopid 'names' for the 'pallette' of colors, getting all set before foisting it all off on you guys who buy into it an are so ... (yech .. ah aint even gonna say it) you say, "It's official" .. when there never ever was anything "official" about it before. That's how UT operates and there are lots of older guys on here also know it and know what I mean when I call it "The Big Orange Screw".

That said. What they should have done is let the team pick an alternate color. In fact, maybe they did and it was just'grey'. Who knows. It's their unis and they can wear whatever they want. In fact, if the student body voted to change the school colors to green and blue I don't care. What kills me is how the UT administration abbrogates unto themselves functions that in the historical order of things have always been held by the student body. In this case, choice of colors for all of the official sports clubs.

SHEEEYEEEEIIIIIAT!!!!!

How $@#&/$$! CUTE!!

Until they put this "palette" together for the PR campaign to roll out the alternate unis, no one in Tennessee sports history had EVER heard of "smokey" grey. That is a fact.

Yes, we had a couple of years in the early 1900's when we had a couple of greys and black. But I will garundamntee you those were just some available base color options from manufacturers; and in no way were they official Tennessee colors.

School sports colors everywhere, with few if any exceptions have traditionally been only TWO, across time and geography. Things I hate about the whole "Our Palette" thing is UT's administration and 'marketing' departments coming up with all those damn stooooopid 'names' for the 'pallette' of colors, getting all set before foisting it all off on you guys who buy into it an are so ... (yech .. ah aint even gonna say it) you say, "It's official" .. when there never ever was anything "official" about it before. That's how UT operates and there are lots of older guys on here also know it and know what I mean when I call it "The Big Orange Screw".

That said. What they should have done is let the team pick an alternate color. In fact, maybe they did and it was just'grey'. Who knows. It's their unis and they can wear whatever they want. In fact, if the student body voted to change the school colors to green and blue I don't care. What kills me is how the UT administration abbrogates unto themselves functions that in the historical order of things have always been held by the student body. In this case, choice of colors for all of the official sports clubs.

Except it clearly says those are the three main colors.

And in an age of "alternate" uniforms, they didn't pick some ridiculous color. They picked one based off of our mascot, Smokey Gray, like Smokey.. the dog. Amazing.

But I guess you'll pick anything to ***** about. So what if it wasn't official before 2012. Things change.

Edit for language.

Last edited:
Except it clearly says those are the three main colors.

And in an age of "alternate" uniforms, they didn't pick some ridiculous color. They picked one based off of our mascot, Smokey Gray, like Smokey.. the dog. Amazing.

But I guess you'll pick anything to ***** about. So what if it wasn't official before 2012. Things change.

Edit for language.
Actually, I don't give a ratz azz what colors they wear.

Sad, but what I'm *****in about went right over your head little sheeple.

But, since I said that changing styles is good, I thought it was implied that I was referring to their colors. White on red. That's it. The style changed, but the colors remained intact. That's the point. Change the style, but the colors need to stay the same.

The famous script used to be black. The red didn't show up until later. After becoming red, it changed to different shades of red, now it has changed back.

Keep in mind that part of the Coke brand is "original." So you shouldn't be surprised that their logos and branding seem a little bit like a throwback.

While we are on the topic...Bring back the black outline and remove the Tennessee script from the front of the away jerseys.

This:

DSC_3385-lg.jpg

Looks better than:

I don't like the Tennessee across the front, but I never liked the black outline. Remove the Tennessee from the front and I think we've got a winner, and get rid of that tire tread pattern on our home orange jerseys.:good!:

This:

DSC_3385-lg.jpg

Looks better than:

Man, those were the best uniforms ever. The white on white with the black outline is beautiful. The black makes the Orange stand out even more.

The white tops now are bland. The numbers need the outline.

SHEEEYEEEEIIIIIAT!!!!!

How $@#&/$$! CUTE!!

:lolabove::clapping::good!::rock:

That was awesome! Well done.

This crap about grey being used back in 1900 is just laughable. There were only 3 colors on the color wheel back then. Black, White, and Grey! :crazy:

:lolabove::clapping::good!::rock:

That was awesome! Well done.

This crap about grey being used back in 1900 is just laughable. There were only 3 colors on the color wheel back then. Black, White, and Grey! :crazy:

Tennessee.jpg

Really? I see some color in there. :crazy:

The point isn't that gray came first. It's that they didn't pull a color out of their butts when they came up with the alternates. It really doesn't seem like a big deal

This game is in the bag. My in-laws will be in town.

Take every penny you have and head to Las Vegas and put it all on the Vols and retire.

You can thank me later.

Cool. Say hi to your aunt and uncle for me. :)

J/k, joking, juvenile humor, keyboard cowboy.

VN Store

Back