Butch says no grey uniforms for Florida, undecided if we'll wear them at all in 2014

I really enjoyed the Smokey Grey uniforms last year. I don't really understand a whole bunch of dudes on a football forum getting so uptight about fashion and superstition.

Reactions: 1 person
Have the players wear the checkerboard jerseys to bed. Then sell them as pajamas-issue resolved. Who wouldn't want to see their female partner sleep in a jersey. Go vols would be the cry as lights go out.

It also says that the focus of anything needs to be on the Orange. Wearing a gray uniform takes the focus off the orange and onto the gray.

that's why the numbers are orange on a grey backdrop - they stand out and draw the focus to that.

I liked the grey uniform last year. But I can see why we wouldn't bother with them this year. Nike will bring a new alt uniform when we change next year. No reason to get the team hyped up over a uniform they can never wear again.

I think it's funny so many are calling for the all orange. They were considered bad luck for years on here until the SC win last year.

Not that I mind them, I'm all for wearing them vs UF. But it's funny how fast the opinion on them changed.

At least we can all agree those grey and orange checkered uniforms need to be burned.

Sound decision by CBJ. Stick with Orange and White. Let Oregon et al. display the gimmick uniforms.
Of course...this is JMHO.

On a side note, there's been some buzz about checkerboarding Neyland for the Florida game... hmmm...

So explain to me why any of this matters? I could careless what they wear, just win. Everything looks good when you win.

I prefer the gray uniforms to the grey uniforms. Of course, it would be awesome if they had a gray helmet.

FYI "The first recorded use of grey as a color name in the English language was in AD 700.[4] Grey is the dominant spelling in European and Commonwealth English, although gray remained in common usage in the UK until the second half of the 20th century.[5] Gray has been the preferred American spelling since approximately 1825,[6] although grey is an accepted variant"

that's why the numbers are orange on a grey backdrop - they stand out and draw the focus to that.

Really? Find me one post on this board that says a person likes the gray uniforms because it makes the Orange numbers stand out. Nobody complimented that. Everyone focused on the gray.

That was recently updated. When we went through the "black jerseys" in 2009 Gray was not on the pallette. Sherwin Williams recently added Knoxville Gray to their colors as well.

Hey now! If it is posted on an official website it has been there from the start of program history... These things cannot simply be changed!! Do you understand how much effort that would require?

If you do not believe me I will find and post screen-shots from the 1891 website. Then you will see!!!

Maybe pants with no stripes.
Deongrantuf98.jpg

Wonder if Deon Grant has any eligibility left?

Really? Find me one post on this board that says a person likes the gray uniforms because it makes the Orange numbers stand out. Nobody complimented that. Everyone focused on the gray.

so you're telling me that orange does not stand out on a grey backing?

Bet anything the Grays will be worn during VANDY as we give them a well deserved beatdown and put them back in their place.

Vandy doesn't deserve anything special. Couldn't believe we wore the grays for them last year....embarrassing. I'd be fine if we just wore our practice unis vs Vandy.

On the other hand, I'm all about the well deserved beat down and place putting, no matter what UT wears.

Last edited:
That was recently updated. When we went through the "black jerseys" in 2009 Gray was not on the pallette. Sherwin Williams recently added Knoxville Gray to their colors as well.

It was released in 2012 as an official rebranding of the entire school. That doesn't make it not official. I do like how we get to pick and choose which history we follow here.

Er ma gerd, we can only use the uniforms we've used in the past... Excluding the early 1900s, because those have gray and black in them.

Besides, whooooo cares? It is, officially, now a color of the school because of a mascot that we've had since 1953. History. They're not ****ting on tradition or anything by wearing a different color uniform. It still has orange, our primary color.

And as for the "we've lost games in those". UT has lost something like 362 games in its history. Were all of those while wearing non-traditional uniforms?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back