Android

granted I came from a DX but I've played with quite a few newer phones. I have no issues with the size and actually like it quite a bit. It's smooth and will likely be supported for a while (at least to JB). Touchwiz is not that intrusive compared to some of the others and allows many of the customizations I used from LauncherPro on my previous phone. I do wish it was unlocked but it will get there with all the devs working on it. And for a larger phone it's actually pretty small and light. No issues with it in my pocket like my previous brick

For those still trying different browsers, I actually like Maxthon. Chinese, but it is smooth. I have problems with the twitch.tv app sometimes, and when I do I just go ahead and watch a stream in a browser window. Maxthon seems to be the only browser that works smoothly with those streaming flash players.

Wife still likes Skyfire.

I've pretty used only Chrome since getting my S3. I like the syncing of open tabs from my desktop machine to my phone. Just launch Chrome and I can see all the tabs I have open at home.

As for launchers, I've been using Nova launcher for the last few months. It's solid and does pretty much everything I need. I was big fan of LauncherPro before that, but it got old and the promised re-code to revamp the program never happened. It's solid, but never really went anywhere after the initial release. Just some tiny updates here and there.
I've had the most luck and enjoy APEX launcher the most

How is the battery life? my current Galaxy phone has a terrible battery life

haven't had an issue since I downloaded the Phone info app to toggle 3g/4g. For some reason that was not an option on the s3 (I believe it's a Verizon thing but not positive).

I finally broke down and flashed an AOSP-based JB 4.1.1 ROM on my GNex. While I miss some of the tweaks of CM9 and related AOKP-based ROMs, I'm loving me some Jelly Bean in all its Buttery smoothness.

Pulled the trigger today and went with the G3 16gb and added my 16gb sd card to give me 32gb. Anyone going for the JB update that came out today?

Samsung Galaxy S3 Receives Android 4.1, JellyBean ROM

When I get some time over the next day or two, I'm going to setup a dual boot setup with CM10 on my SD card. You can temporarily run CM10 until you reboot your phone and it just goes back to your daily driver ROM.

Looked at it last night but ended up at the bar with friends instead.

I installed CM10 (Jellybean build) on my Sprint GS3 last night. The ROM was pretty functional, but still has some problems. Around noon today, I flashed back to what I was using before CM10.

GoogleNow was working with voice. No problems there.

Camera worked a couple times, and failed a few times. Once it fails, seems like you have to reboot.

The UI isn't exactly running smoothly. Scrolling through homescreens is fine, but adding widgets to a screen can cause stuttering. A little lag shows up now and again. From the CM10 logs, seems like they haven't fully optimized the Butter code for the S3 yet.

Battery life was awful. This could be any number of things at the moment.

MMS is hit or miss. I could send, but couldn't download. MMS doesn't work with the stock messaging app, but Handcent could send them without being able to receive. Didn't try GoSMS or any others.

The phone ran hot. After installing, I restored some apps with Titanium. The phone was much hotter than it had ever been before. Not scalding hot, but noticeably warmer. Not sure why that's happening.

Notifications worked great.

It's coming along, but not a daily driver yet. This was a 7/20 build that I installed. I would assume other carrier models of the GS3 have some or all of the problems listed above, but I'm not real sure.

I installed CM10 (Jellybean build) on my Sprint GS3 last night. The ROM was pretty functional, but still has some problems. Around noon today, I flashed back to what I was using before CM10.

GoogleNow was working with voice. No problems there.

Camera worked a couple times, and failed a few times. Once it fails, seems like you have to reboot.

The UI isn't exactly running smoothly. Scrolling through homescreens is fine, but adding widgets to a screen can cause stuttering. A little lag shows up now and again. From the CM10 logs, seems like they haven't fully optimized the Butter code for the S3 yet.

Battery life was awful. This could be any number of things at the moment.

MMS is hit or miss. I could send, but couldn't download. MMS doesn't work with the stock messaging app, but Handcent could send them without being able to receive. Didn't try GoSMS or any others.

The phone ran hot. After installing, I restored some apps with Titanium. The phone was much hotter than it had ever been before. Not scalding hot, but noticeably warmer. Not sure why that's happening.

Notifications worked great.

It's coming along, but not a daily driver yet. This was a 7/20 build that I installed. I would assume other carrier models of the GS3 have some or all of the problems listed above, but I'm not real sure.

Until the CM10 base is a little further along, you may want to try a more vanilla, AOSP-based JB ROM. I am certainly missing some of the tweaks that come with an AOKP-base, but the vanilla AOSP-based JB ROM I flashed on my GNex is well worth the trade in the short term.

CM is AOSP based and the only JB rom available for the S3 right now. It's not like we have a choice at this moment.

CM is AOSP based and the only JB rom available for the S3 right now. It's not like we have a choice at this moment.

I know CM is based on AOSP, I poorly worded my message. What I intended to convey was that until CM10 (which is based on AOSP) is a little less buggy, you may want to go with a more vanilla (than CM10) AOSP ROM.

I knew that the SIII has significantly fewer ROMs available than the GNex, but I wasn't aware CM10 was pretty much the only JB option right now - my bad. :mf_surrender:

Wish we had some other options. I was joking around in my post more than anything. Just saying it's the only option currently.

What are you running on your GN right now? You flash many roms? Wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on GN roms. Buddy just got one and we were talking about trying some different ones out. You running an AOKP rom?

Wish we had some other options. I was joking around in my post more than anything. Just saying it's the only option currently.

What are you running on your GN right now? You flash many roms? Wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on GN roms. Buddy just got one and we were talking about trying some different ones out. You running an AOKP rom?

Currently, I'm on a mostly stock, very vanilla AOSP by team BAMF. I was debating going with the Vicious JB ROM, but chose this instead. Previously, I was on CM9, Paranoid Android (my favorite - can't wait until the JB version is a bit more mature), Junk, Tranquility Ice, and a few before then. I don't flash ROMs as often as I did when I first got the phone, but I probably will flash a another JB ROM at some point in the next couple of weeks.

I am usually not an early adopter, or a nightly tester, so I haven't been on any JB ROMs with many bells and whistles, but once it's a little more mature, your buddy can't go wrong with CM10 or an AOKP ROM. Paranoid Android is based off of CM, so I will likely skip CM10 and go straight to the hybrid-mode goodness that is Paranoid Android.

Reactions: 1 person
Yall make sure and put a good app for locating your phone incase you lose it. I just had my gnex stolen and didn't have one installed for it. Makes me sick

New AOKP Jellybean port started appearing yesterday for the S3. I installed it on my Sprint S3 last night. Been running well so far. This was built from the AT&T version so I know they are up and running, too. Probably Verizon as well.

Camera is working, it's not getting hot like the previous CM10 build I tried, and it seems to fly. Can't really comment on battery yet. Installed, set some things up, and then plugged it in as I went to bed. Missing a bunch of the regular things from AOKP roms, but it's certainly coming along.

Going to stick with it for awhile.

I had planned on waiting for the (rumored) Nexus 10 in November, but I broke down and ordered a Nexus 7. Any good/bad experiences with it?

I had planned on waiting for the (rumored) Nexus 10 in November, but I broke down and ordered a Nexus 7. Any good/bad experiences with it?

So far nothing but great experience with mine, just wish it had a rear camera, otherwise its great

I'm attempting to wait for the 10. I damn near ordered a 7 to have on my trip to Atlanta...but I was able to resist for now. I'm hoping they can leak something about the 10 in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

I finally pulled the trigger on a SG3 two weeks ago.

LOVE it so far. LOVE it.

VN Store

Back