Android

anyone else know about the easter egg found by repeatedly tapping the android version tab in your settings? For certain models (at least), if you repeatedly tap the version tab, eventually a pic will come up with some sort of theme to the OS you're running. My RAZR is still on Ice Cream Sandwich, so I get the droid character's face with an ice cream sandwich body.

I'm attempting to wait for the 10. I damn near ordered a 7 to have on my trip to Atlanta...but I was able to resist for now. I'm hoping they can leak something about the 10 in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

I finally pulled the trigger on a SG3 two weeks ago.

LOVE it so far. LOVE it.

I'm likely going to be on a couple of business trips before the 10 drops, so I'm using that to rationalize it, haha.

Just me or did the announcement of Googlerola Droid developer phones make everyone really, really excited for the future of Moto's Droid line?

I'm glad they are releasing them but it shouldn't have come to that point. They should all be unlocked or unlock-able to start with. A simple "Do it and the warranty is void" warning should be suffice.

btw, Picked up a Nexus 7 the other day. Got it close to the Kindle announcements today in case I changed my mind. I like the little guy. I haven't noticed any screen flicker so either I don't see it, or it's not doing it. I'm thinking I'll keep it. New Fire HD looks cool with a 1080 display, but I'll keep the Nexus. I like being on Google's immediate path when updates come out.

Also, the fact that the new SplashTop HD is free is awesome. I really like that program to remote home and work.

Last edited:
I'm glad they are releasing them but it shouldn't have come to that point. They should all be unlocked or unlock-able to start with. A simple "Do it and the warranty is void" warning should be suffice.

btw, Picked up a Nexus 7 the other day. Got it close to the Kindle announcements today in case I changed my mind. I like the little guy. I haven't noticed any screen flicker so either I don't see it, or it's not doing it. I'm thinking I'll keep it. New Fire HD looks cool with a 1080 display, but I'll keep the Nexus. I like being on Google's immediate path when updates come out.

Also, the fact that the new SplashTop HD is free is awesome. I really like that program to remote home and work.

I agree - Moto's history with locked bootloaders is terrible.

I still haven't used mine a ton, but I am really, really liking my Nexus 7 as well. I haven't noticed screen flicker either. Agreed about the Fire HD - it looks nice, but the quick updates that come with being a Nexus device are just too nice to give up.

SplashTop HD is free?!? Where is that? Nevermind - found it... hadn't looked for it since I got the 7, had only looked at it for the GNex.

Last edited:
The new Amazon stuff doesn't interest me. This close to saying screw it and getting the Nexus 7. Seems to be the only choice. Zero interest in iPad or iPad mini based on price and unwillingness to go deeper into the apple ecosystem (I have a MacBook pro).

Just can't pull the trigger if I think they have a new release coming for the holiday season. I at least want to see what it is.

I suppose another option to the Nexus 7 is the Galaxy 7 Student Edition at Best Buy. It's a 7" tablet Samsung tablet with a keyboard case. $249. Only 8gb of onboard storage but it does have an SD card slot.

Played with a buddy's the other day. Nice unit. Nice screen and I don't really mind Samsung's Touchwiz anymore. I personally went with the Nexus, though, since it's first in line for any Android updates.

Might be able to find a XOOM for cheap now days. Solid machine that's been getting all the latest updates from Google very quickly.

really wanted the Nexus 7 but things kept getting in the way. Starting to put together an HTPC and it might make the perfect remote. Hopefully even the wife could even use it

really wanted the Nexus 7 but things kept getting in the way. Starting to put together an HTPC and it might make the perfect remote. Hopefully even the wife could even use it

You building from scratch or buying one? I hadn't thought about using the N7 as a remote, but it would make a pretty nice one...

definitely building myself. Still trying to sort thru all the parts since it's been a while. Got a couple of guides that will help me out a bunch though

Rumors are pointing to one of the next Nexus devices as being a 5" phablet by HTC. Android Authority mentioned that a couple of its reported AKAs are the One X 5 or the Droid Incredible X.

It's reported that it would come with an updated/improved version of Jelly Bean rather than 5.0 or Key Lime Pie. As far as specs go:
the Nexus 5 will be powered by a Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and have a 1080p display. Other features that the device may have include a 12MP rear camera, 2MP front cam, 2,500mAh battery, up to 64GB storage, and LTE – all packed in a slim casing.

Still just rumors, so take it with a grain of salt, but it is exciting that Google appears to be pushing a Nexus presence into all areas of the Android arena.

Next Nexus rumor states that a 4.7" LG Nexus modeled after the LG Optimus G will join the Google Experience fray later this year.

This and the rumored HTC Nexus look nice, but I'm holding out hope for a Moto Nexus...

Well, it does appear Android 4.2 will drop this year and we'll see new 'Nexus' devices. Looks like Google employees are now rocking 4.2.

Here's a quick recap of what's known.
Rumor: Android 4.2 to feature Project Roadrunner, new Play store, Customization Center, enhanced Google Now | Android and Me

This is fairly interesting stuff if the Nexus program goes down like this. Good move to have multiple devices certified to some group of standards. And if Google really can update Nexus devices without the carriers involved, that will be the biggest advancement so far.

This whole Nexus program is a lot to take in. So many questions out there. And it could radically change the Android market. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

the Nexus (older but is running JB) is now dirt cheap on Amazon and even the S3 is on sale. I believe the S3 deal is for a limited time though

Looks highly likely that Android 4.2 and a new device (or more than one) will be announced on 10-29 at Google's event. Stream on youtube if you're geek enough.

Looks highly likely that Android 4.2 and a new device (or more than one) will be announced on 10-29 at Google's event. Stream on youtube if you're geek enough.

I can safely assume that they will give 4.2 the spotlight, officially announce the LG Nexus, and will likely announce the (apparently Samsung-built) Nexus 10 tablet. As for other Nexus devices, I doubt any will officially be announced/endorsed by Google, but I would not be surprised if they elaborated on a 'new' Nexus program (any phone that is built to meet certain hardware/software specs can be 'Nexus certified').

Got my Note 2 today. Best phone on the market hands down. It's sick what this phone can do. Love it.

Don't believe any other device on the market can currently run 3 apps at once on the screen. Good news for S3 owners is that they are supposed to put Multi-windows on there by the end of the year.

Got my Note 2 today. Best phone on the market hands down. It's sick what this phone can do. Love it.

Don't believe any other device on the market can currently run 3 apps at once on the screen. Good news for S3 owners is that they are supposed to put Multi-windows on there by the end of the year.

How's the battery life?

No complaints here so far. But, I've only had it a day and a half.

Here's a screenshot from a couple minutes ago.

screenshot2012110922133.png

I'm used to carrying a long front wallet. It's pretty much the same size and just sits behind it. It's close to being too big for me and might be too big for some folks. But, the more I read forums where folks are buying them, it seems most people aren't having a problem with the size. I'd certainly recommend looking at it and trying it out in your pockets.

Not for everyone for sure, though.

VN Store

Back