2024 Transfer Portal

I’m not saying she can’t help us bit she can only play about 15 mins anyway so that will be good backup mins. She has a hard time moving and running up and down the court, go back and watch how she struggles to move up court, I watch things closely and she’s struggling. maybe losing some weight will help but I doubt she does that.
I agree she does move slower up and down the floor, I would like to see a press on the inbounds to help give her time to get back. Not talking about a trap press but just a few to slow down the inbounds. Personally I wouldn't mind a trap press all the time with the right personnel on the floor but anyway. She may still hurt in transition somewhat but I believe the upside is better and hopefully she will be in better Condition at the start of next season.

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
Interesting to me the pretty common notion here that Jewel is the one worthy starter, and Sara isn't. Statistically, this year they were almost identical players.
Mins - J 29 pg, S 27;
fg% J 43%, S 45%;
3pt % J - 37%, S-35%;
fts - J-84%; S-86%;
reb J- 4.9 pg, S-4.6 pg
Jewel took more shots 336 to 273, and more 3s, 185-108, as a result, Jewel avg 14 pts pg to Sara's 9.

Others may differ, but they are also very similar defensive players to me, both not really quick enough to guard the perimeter. Sara is a little longer, so has that advantage.

I get Jewel's Wake Forest history, and she did have a few games where she burned it up. Others where she disappeared. Same for Sara. The actual on court result this year against just doesn't seem all that different to me.

I appreciate both players alot and hope both are major contributors next year. But I'm just not getting Jewel as currently that much better of a player. I think we're deferring here to some pre-conceived notions about both.

Those numbers are interesting and I did not mean to suggest that Sara was chopped chicken liver. My take on Jewel is that she would be a 6th man, spark off the bench on pretty much any top 10. At her current level of play, I don't see her as a starter. Sara would be a solid role player but on a really elite team, like SC, she might not see much floor time (might be the same for Jewel).

Statistically though there is not much difference between them. Heck, even their TO and steal numbers are almost identical.

So yeah, I think my initial rating of giving Jewell an edge over Sara was based more on her rep than the facts.

On related note Sara and Karo just made the Academic All District team!

I agree she does move slower up and down the floor, I would like to see a press on the inbounds to help give her time to get back. Not talking about a trap press but just a few to slow down the inbounds. Personally I wouldn't mind a trap press all the time with the right personnel on the floor but anyway. She may still hurt in transition somewhat but I believe the upside is better and hopefully she will be in better Condition at the start of next season.
It’s all on her if she puts the work in starting now, u need to watch what u eat and be in the gym working on your game, if u think she’s that type of gym rat and competitor maybe she will do that but if not it will be more of the same next season. Tell me what you think she will do?

It’s getting out of hand and a lot of misinformation is spreading. Kaniya Boyd, Tamari Key, Talaysia Cooper, Destinee Wells, Sara Puckett, and Jewel Spear are starter caliber SEC players. Tweets do not change that fact. Posts on a message board do not change that fact. Kaniya Boyd can finish with both hands at the rim. Run and facilitate in transition. She is a highly rated prospect who is going to be the steal of the 2024 class. She plays lockdown defense. Can force turnovers and block shots. Talaysia Cooper is exceptional with quality ball handling skills and playmaking ability. One game of them against Tennessee at another school and most of this board would be begging for both players to enter the portal to become a Tennessee Vol. One look at either Cooper or Boyd film you can see they can shoot the basketball when needed. Cooper was rated higher than Flaujae Johnson out of high school and she can play that same role at Tennessee. Boyd reminds me of Alabama’s Loyal McQueen and Colorado’s Jaylyn Sherrod. I respect people opinions. We just can not have these players being talk down on as nothing more than bench players or backups. It is not true. I have more substance to provide if this labeling continues to wrongly characterize these high rated former high school players that committed to Tennessee to carry on the legacy of a Lady Vol.

Why did Cooper leave South Carolina? We're not going to get to an elite 8 with the group you mention--I can promise you that.

It’s all on her if she puts the work in starting now, u need to watch what u eat and be in the gym working on your game, if u think she’s that type of gym rat and competitor maybe she will do that but if not it will be more of the same next season. Tell me what you think she will do?
I think if she stays and wants to play in the W then she will need to improve her mobility and offensive game. I still think she is a starter next year and would absolutely be the top Center in the portal if she entered right now. I don't disagree about her flaws I just think there is more positives that makes her a starter not a backup.

Reactions: travis929
Those numbers are interesting and I did not mean to suggest that Sara was chopped chicken liver. My take on Jewel is that she would be a 6th man, spark off the bench on pretty much any top 10. At her current level of play, I don't see her as a starter. Sara would be a solid role player but on a really elite team, like SC, she might not see much floor time (might be the same for Jewel).

Statistically though there is not much difference between them. Heck, even their TO and steal numbers are almost identical.

So yeah, I think my initial rating of giving Jewell an edge over Sara was based more on her rep than the facts.

On related note Sara and Karo just made the Academic All District team!
Did you not see my post on the previous page? Jewel has been considerably more productive than Sara, because even though their shooting averages may be close, Jewel takes more shots, thereby making more shots, and scoring more points.

Reactions: LV renaissance
I think if she stays and wants to play in the W then she will need to improve her mobility and offensive game. I still think she is a starter next year and would absolutely be the top Center in the portal if she entered right now. I don't disagree about her flaws I just think there is more positives that makes her a starter not a backup.
I just don’t see the passion when I watch her, it’s the same flaws since her freshman year. I have no idea if she want to play in the WNBA or not, but I would guess not because u need to put the work in and I’m doubtful. You could be right she could train hard this offseason before the team meets and come in lighter and in better shape. I just watch body language and the look on your face when I watch, please go back and watch games and watch her closely and tell me what u see.

Key is an absolute starter anywhere in the country . I will say it again Key is a starter anywhere. I hate to repeat it but I'm not holding back Key is a starter on any team in the country.
She would barely play at SC in her current state, no offense but she can’t run the floor at the pace SC runs and she would sit mostly. Watch SC’s big, they are required to run at the same pace as the fwd’s and guards to earn playing time.

Last edited:
Why did Cooper leave South Carolina? We're not going to get to an elite 8 with the group you mention--I can promise you that.
Coop is a great player, but PaoPao was brought into be the deep threat shooting guard, and Fulwiley was coming in with the new class. Raven was always going to be the starting PG. Tessa Johnson was also part of the new class coming in that was recruited to fix SC’s three point shooting woes. Coop looked it over and didn’t see much playing time, SC wasn’t looking for slashers at the guard spots, the Iowa game taught them they needed to get outside shooters. Coop is great in almost all facets of the game, but she isn’t a knock down shooter by any stretch. She made the right move for her, she also had the experience in SC HS ball to know all about Fulwiley. They played together and against each other on various teams, Coop wasn’t going to unseat Fulwiley, Johnson or PaoPao. And Tessa Johnson was a dead eye shooter coming in also. It was crowded, best for all.

Last edited:
Did you not see my post on the previous page? Jewel has been considerably more productive than Sara, because even though their shooting averages may be close, Jewel takes more shots, thereby making more shots, and scoring more points.
Playing off Rrickea, both got their fair share of open threes. Pucket gets point posting up and jewel gets some driving to rim. I would not say that either had considerably easier than the other.

Different roles. Jewel was the number 2 offensive option. Let's not turn this into a Jewel versus Sara debate. The stats would suggest that Sara was under utilized this year.

Hard to measure 'talent', but production wise, which to me is far more important, they're nearly identical.

Happy for Jewel to prove her superior talent next year. This year, she did not.
You've made a good and surprising statistical point about Jewell vs. Sarah. I do think both are valuable to the team. However, Jewel had more shots because she is a better overall offensive player. Percentages alone don' tell the story. Clark doesn't have nearly the best percentage stats yet the marvel is that she still can get so many points while being guarded as the main threat. It was clear that the Spear was feared by the opposing teamss and they typically put their first or second best defender on her. Nevertheless, she still got more shots off than Sara though I grant you that it wasn't an extreme difference. I can't imagine Sara having near the stats of Spear if she was drawing the best post defender rather than Rickea. Similarly, Sara is wonderful but in no way could she ever lead an entire Power 5 conference in scoring for two years, even on a poor team. That is because if she was the only threat on a team, she would draw all the attention of the defense like Jewell did at Wake and to a lesser extent at UT. I do agree that both are similar on the defensive end. With Jewel, I think it is only partly due to speed and partly due to not seeming to have a natural fierce mindset that comes with great defense. She has such a wonderfully pleasant temperament that helps her in every way but this. I actually think Puckett perhaps has more in terms of defensive attitude but has probably reached her potential there. Jewell was improving somewhat on defense during the year, and is likely to continue to grow in that area. In any case, both players are valuable to our team and I am glad we don't have to choose between them. I still think Fear the Spear in our most potent threat of the returning players.

It’s getting out of hand and a lot of misinformation is spreading. Kaniya Boyd, Tamari Key, Talaysia Cooper, Destinee Wells, Sara Puckett, and Jewel Spear are starter caliber SEC players. Tweets do not change that fact. Posts on a message board do not change that fact. Kaniya Boyd can finish with both hands at the rim. Run and facilitate in transition. She is a highly rated prospect who is going to be the steal of the 2024 class. She plays lockdown defense. Can force turnovers and block shots. Talaysia Cooper is exceptional with quality ball handling skills and playmaking ability. One game of them against Tennessee at another school and most of this board would be begging for both players to enter the portal to become a Tennessee Vol. One look at either Cooper or Boyd film you can see they can shoot the basketball when needed. Cooper was rated higher than Flaujae Johnson out of high school and she can play that same role at Tennessee. Boyd reminds me of Alabama’s Loyal McQueen and Colorado’s Jaylyn Sherrod. I respect people opinions. We just can not have these players being talk down on as nothing more than bench players or backups. It is not true. I have more substance to provide if this labeling continues to wrongly characterize these high rated former high school players that committed to Tennessee to carry on the legacy of a Lady Vol.
I wanted both and would take either equally

You've made a good and surprising statistical point about Jewell vs. Sarah. I do think both are valuable to the team. However, Jewel had more shots because she is a better overall offensive player. Percentages alone don' tell the story. Clark doesn't have nearly the best percentage stats yet the marvel is that she still can get so many points while being guarded as the main threat. It was clear that the Spear was feared by the opposing teamss and they typically put their first or second best defender on her. Nevertheless, she still got more shots off than Sara though I grant you that it wasn't an extreme difference. I can't imagine Sara having near the stats of Spear if she was drawing the best post defender rather than Rickea. Similarly, Sara is wonderful but in no way could she ever lead an entire Power 5 conference in scoring for two years, even on a poor team. That is because if she was the only threat on a team, she would draw all the attention of the defense like Jewell did at Wake and to a lesser extent at UT. I do agree that both are similar on the defensive end. With Jewel, I think it is only partly due to speed and partly due to not seeming to have a natural fierce mindset that comes with great defense. She has such a wonderfully pleasant temperament that helps her in every way but this. I actually think Puckett perhaps has more in terms of defensive attitude but has probably reached her potential there. Jewell was improving somewhat on defense during the year, and is likely to continue to grow in that area. In any case, both players are valuable to our team and I am glad we don't have to choose between them. I still think Fear the Spear in our most potent threat of the returning players.
that’s a great assessment, I couldn’t do better even if I tried.

I don't think there has been much question about that they can't play. The ones that you talk about that did play were totally inconsistent in their play. They would be great one game and totally disappear in others. What you are looking for is consistency in play. Cooper and Boyd are not talked about that much they have not played so both are wait and see.
Even with all the returnees there is still the problem of post play not enough scoring or rebounding. The replacement of the scoring of Rickea Jackson who is going to take up that slack? We saw a long preview of this when she was injured and it was not pretty. Finally even with all these returnees you run into the problem of so many of them having one year to play so you better get some portal players and it would be great if you could get some players that were consistent scorers with their former teams. Right now the roster for 2025 is three player Cooper, Boyd, and Strickland. We have one recruit thus far in the 2025 class. We will have four to five scholarships we can fill with portal players and they all need to be two years of eligibility left. That would bring your 2025 roster up to seven. Then you still need at least three more high school players to sign to get you to ten in 2025. If that does not happen you have seven and so the 2025 portal would need to be about five players to get you to twelve which would be the lowest amount of players I feel a roster should have.

Watched her plenty at Webb school on bellbuckle ! She was their shooter and they ran plays to get her the three point look ! She is not a Jackson type as she is slighter build. But I guess she would have two years ? I don’t know how her game has played out in college? Others might have input ?
She has rode the Maryland bench since she has been there 1.3 ppg.

They are nowhere near close, Spear took way more tough shots and defenses focus on her more compared to Pucket who gets more open shots. Puckett should not be starting but she is good at what she does and a good asset off the bench.
Spear took more 3's..if that's the tougher shots you are referring to. But banging the glass, shots in the lane, rebound put backs are just as tough and almost always contested. So not sure about the "Sara gets more open shots" opinion.

Playing off Rrickea, both got their fair share of open threes. Pucket gets point posting up and jewel gets some driving to rim. I would not say that either had considerably easier than the other.

Different roles. Jewel was the number 2 offensive option. Let's not turn this into a Jewel versus Sara debate. The stats would suggest that Sara was under utilized this year.
Hesitated to say it at all bc the last thing I want is a Jewel v Sara debate. We'll need both desperately next year. And next year is more what I had in mind.

Unless we get a truly elite scorer fm the portal, Jewel's actual performance, not an eye test, not her history and not her potential, will have to step way, way up. Being brutally honest, most of our crushing disappointments this year came when Robin was not there for Batman.

I don't think there has been much question about that they can't play. The ones that you talk about that did play were totally inconsistent in their play. They would be great one game and totally disappear in others. What you are looking for is consistency in play. Cooper and Boyd are not talked about that much they have not played so both are wait and see.
Even with all the returnees there is still the problem of post play not enough scoring or rebounding. The replacement of the scoring of Rickea Jackson who is going to take up that slack? We saw a long preview of this when she was injured and it was not pretty. Finally even with all these returnees you run into the problem of so many of them having one year to play so you better get some portal players and it would be great if you could get some players that were consistent scorers with their former teams. Right now the roster for 2025 is three player Cooper, Boyd, and Strickland. We have one recruit thus far in the 2025 class. We will have four to five scholarships we can fill with portal players and they all need to be two years of eligibility left. That would bring your 2025 roster up to seven. Then you still need at least three more high school players to sign to get you to ten in 2025. If that does not happen you have seven and so the 2025 portal would need to be about five players to get you to twelve which would be the lowest amount of players I feel a roster should have.
Stand on business!

Frankly, I think Kellie needs to push Wynn, Darby, and Hollingshead to transfer out so we can pursue upgrades at their positions.

You can’t go into a make or break year with just Wynn and Wells running point. Must have an upgrade there. Ideally someone who can score too, so we’re not having to ask Spear to turn into Dalton Knecht and average 25+ a game in the SEC.

We also need someone who can score down low. I’m not 100% sure Key will come back and she’s not a great scorer even if she does. We need someone who can get us easy baskets when the threes from Spear and Puckett aren’t falling.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Frankly, I think Kellie needs to push Wynn, Darby, and Hollingshead to transfer out so we can pursue upgrades at their positions.

You can’t go into a make or break year with just Wynn and Wells running point. Must have an upgrade there. Ideally someone who can score too, so we’re not having to ask Spear to turn into Dalton Knecht and average 25+ a game in the SEC.

We also need someone who can score down low. I’m not 100% sure Key will come back and she’s not a great scorer even if she does. We need someone who can get us easy baskets when the threes from Spear and Puckett aren’t falling.
Bird in hand is worth 2 in bush. You better know someone better is coming before pushing others out.

Points scored per shot attempt Puckett 1.19 and Jewell 1.29 was even higher than Rickea who had a 1.23. Scoring was seldom the teams problem this season it was stopping the other team from scoring.

Hesitated to say it at all bc the last thing I want is a Jewel v Sara debate. We'll need both desperately next year. And next year is more what I had in mind.

Unless we get a truly elite scorer fm the portal, Jewel's actual performance, not an eye test, not her history and not her potential, will have to step way, way up. Being brutally honest, most of our crushing disappointments this year came when Robin was not there for Batman.
this

VN Store

Back