2024 Transfer Portal

The only issue she has with her game right now is mental consistency (Jewel as well) and her foot speed is questionable. Sarah is in phenomenal shape (maybe best on the team) and has a great strong build. I’m not sure her foot speed can be helped much. Doesn’t keep her out of the starting lineup so far as I can see though.
Pretty sure that's the factor most would point out as the difference in the two, but to me Jewel doesn't seem any quicker at all. Not sure that's likely to change much for either at this point in their careers.

Jewel got to the rim some, where as you said, Sara is more of a mid range and post up. Both will be crucial next year.

Pretty sure that's the factor most would point out as the difference in the two, but to me Jewel doesn't seem any quicker at all. Not sure that's likely to change much for either at this point in their careers.

Jewel got to the rim some, where as you said, Sara is more of a mid range and post up. Both will be crucial next year.

I agree, I don’t think Jewel is much quicker at all. She just has a better handle. Jewel can get to the rim but she’s not overly fast.

In her case I do actually think she could trim up and improve her speed. If she wants to hit the next level (and play at the next level) that’s really the only thing holding her back. She is by NO means out of shape but she could lean up and trade 5lbs of fat for muscle and be more effective I think.

They are nowhere near close, Spear took way more tough shots and defenses focus on her more compared to Pucket who gets more open shots. Puckett should not be starting but she is good at what she does and a good asset off the bench.
It's all opinion, thanks for yours. Statistically they are near identical. So not so sure an opposing defense would be more comfortable leaving Sara open than Jewel. IMO there's a 'slow white girl' bias against Sara I'm not sure is deserved in this case.

It's all opinion, thanks for yours. Statistically they are near identical. So not so sure an opposing defense would be more comfortable leaving Sara open than Jewel. IMO alot of this is caused by an "eye test". We think Jewel should be better.
True, but Jewel has been in the program one year compared to Sara’s three. I think a lot of people wonder what Jewel can do with more time in the system while we kind of know Sara’s limit. Both are good players, but I’d like to see if they are around the same next year.

It's all opinion, thanks for yours. Statistically they are near identical. So not so sure an opposing defense would be more comfortable leaving Sara open than Jewel. IMO there's a 'slow white girl' bias against Sara I'm not sure is deserved in this case.
U can think they are the same talent wise but I don’t agree and not sure anyone else does either. Pucket is a good open 3pt shooter but if she has to dribble she’s in trouble and can’t do much. With all that being said I respect your opinion.

True, but Jewel has been in the program one year compared to Sara’s three. I think a lot of people wonder what Jewel can do with more time in the system while we kind of know Sara’s limit. Both are good players, but I’d like to see if they are around the same next year.

I think their roles are going to evolve. I see Spear handling the ball quite a bit. She is a low turnover, high IQ player. She isn’t the biggest distributor but you don’t always need your pg to make that pass. You need them to control the ball, the pace and initiate the offense from the correct spot based on what the defense is giving you.

That’s why VanLith has struggled so mightily at LSU. She can’t grasp that Kim doesn’t want her shooting it or dropping dimes necessarily. She wants her making the correct read off the break to break down the defense and get the easiest shot near the rim possible. She also expects her PG to be the defensive head of the snake and start the break.

Thats why DiDi Richards played a lot of point for her even though she wasn’t a good offensive player at all. She was a super defender, poised and listened to Kim.

Interesting to me the pretty common notion here that Jewel is the one worthy starter, and Sara isn't. Statistically, this year they were almost identical players.
Mins - J 29 pg, S 27;
fg% J 43%, S 45%;
3pt % J - 37%, S-35%;
fts - J-84%; S-86%;
reb J- 4.9 pg, S-4.6 pg
Jewel took more shots 336 to 273, and more 3s, 185-108, as a result, Jewel avg 14 pts pg to Sara's 9.

Others may differ, but they are also very similar defensive players to me, both not really quick enough to guard the perimeter. Sara is a little longer, so has that advantage.

I get Jewel's Wake Forest history, and she did have a few games where she burned it up. Others where she disappeared. Same for Sara. The actual on court result this year against just doesn't seem all that different to me.

I appreciate both players alot and hope both are major contributors next year. But I'm just not getting Jewel as currently that much better of a player. I think we're deferring here to some pre-conceived notions about both.
There are always different ways of looking at stats. When someone takes more shots with a good or higher percentage than someone else, it adds up to points, which is probably why we perceive Jewel as the better player.

For this year:

Jewel’s total points, 432. Sara, 326.

Jewel’s assists, 71. Sara 49.

Jewel’s made 3 pointers, 69. Sara, 38.

Jewel also made 22 more field goals.

Their steals, blocks, and turnovers were about equal.

Then, of course, there’s the comparison of which one scored more against the top competition.

Hard to measure 'talent', but production wise, which to me is far more important, they're nearly identical.

Happy for Jewel to prove her superior talent next year. This year, she did not.
I’m looking forward to seeing her have a bigger role and show people why she was invited to team USA and made the team while others wasn’t invited or didn’t make it.

As for my posts I wasn’t talking about Cooper or Boyd since I haven’t watched much film on them, I’m talking about the current players we have and Spear is our only starter in my opinion, if we go into the season having Key, Pucket, Striplin and Wynn starting we will win maybe 10 games and u can book it. Nothing wrong with being a backup and playing your role, we need more elite players if we want to win championships.
Key is an absolute starter anywhere in the country . I will say it again Key is a starter anywhere. I hate to repeat it but I'm not holding back Key is a starter on any team in the country.

Key is an absolute starter anywhere in the country . I will say it again Key is a starter anywhere. I hate to repeat it but I'm not holding back Key is a starter on any team in the country.
Good luck with that, would she have started for Virginia Tech, Kansas State or UCLA? just a few I thought of real quick

Reactions: olddog and glv98
Interesting. Chen is a good player but by no means would I put her at #1.

UCONN is the best choice for her due to the lack of physicality in the Big East. If she came to the SEC she would be rendered completely ineffective imo.
This article seems pretty out of touch

Tbf the portal is kinda thin… but tbh idk how a 6’5 post who averaged a double double in the big 12 isn’t top 10 over mid Kentucky guards

There are always different ways of looking at stats. When someone takes more shots with a good or higher percentage than someone else, it adds up to points, which is probably why we perceive Jewel as the better player.

For this year:

Jewel’s total points, 432. Sara, 326.

Jewel’s assists, 71. Sara 49.

Jewel’s made 3 pointers, 69. Sara, 38.

Jewel also made 22 more field goals.

Their steals, blocks, and turnovers were about equal.

Then, of course, there’s the comparison of which one scored more against the top competition.
Also would like to add, Jewel handles the ball maybe the best on our team, Sara should not dribble.

This article seems pretty out of touch

Tbf the portal is kinda thin… but tbh idk how a 6’5 post who averaged a double double in the big 12 isn’t top 10 over mid Kentucky guards
They also dembele committed to Arkansas and Not USF

South Carolina , Stanford . I didn't say she was the best but to say she isn't starter is just ridiculous.
She can be a starter but not for us, we need more production to get us where we need to go. U either want to win or u don’t u can’t have both. She has too many flaws like not being able to catch passes while in traffic or open, doesn’t fight for position, has a hard time making layups and doesn’t fight for rebounds. On the positive shes tall and u can’t teach height and can block shots because of it. The kind of Center we need is someone like Lauren Betts, been saying that since last year but I’ll take a notch be;ow if we can get someone of that talent.

She can be a starter but not for us, we need more production to get us where we need to go. U either want to win or u don’t u can’t have both. She has too many flaws like not being able to catch passes while in traffic or open, doesn’t fight for position, has a hard time making layups and doesn’t fight for rebounds. On the positive shes tall and u can’t teach height and can block shots because of it. The kind of Center we need is someone like Lauren Betts, been saying that since last year but I’ll take a notch be;ow if we can get someone of that talent.
I felt like her offensive game improved thru the year and she is a guaranteed paint protector. I dont think you give that up for 4 to 8 more points a game. She saves us that on defense.

I felt like her offensive game improved thru the year and she is a guaranteed paint protector. I dont think you give that up for 4 to 8 more points a game. She saves us that on defense.
I’m not saying she can’t help us bit she can only play about 15 mins anyway so that will be good backup mins. She has a hard time moving and running up and down the court, go back and watch how she struggles to move up court, I watch things closely and she’s struggling. maybe losing some weight will help but I doubt she does that.

VN Store

Back