2024 Transfer Portal

Anybody remember her the next coming superstar played with Del Rosario and Velez. Out of Maryland destination unknown.

Reactions: PRG
Does anyone think Velez may enter the portal.

Hear talk of Cooper playing the point. Is her game similar to Horston? Can she hit the 3 ball at a decent percentage?

Reactions: xtpsrh08123

Hear talk of Cooper playing the point. Is her game similar to Horston? Can she hit the 3 ball at a decent percentage?
Coop is a smaller version of Horston, but she is not a consistent three shooter. She has better handles than Jordy did and takes care of the ball better though, and she is a better facilitator.

No but Talaysia and Jewell and if Tamari comes back should give us three. Then you have Puckett, Hollingshead, Darby, Striplin, and Wynn who we really need to use as backups if we can get anybody better that can start.
I hate to keep saying this but I can’t get these things slide like I did last year. Jewel is our only starter, all the rest are backups and end of the bench players. If we want to be in a final four next season we need to find some starters, no more over valuing players just because they are on our team, they are what they are and it’s not changing.

We need our starting pg to be able to shoot and able to hit Ft’s at a high percentage.

She was a #11 overall ranked player! I believe this is the highest ranked player by hoopgurlz , that was really a bust ? Just saying…,,, You would expect a top 10—20… player to be a lock to not only start but also to contribute mightily to any team ! This player was way over ranked for their skills ! JMO
I knew she wouldn’t be good, but I kept quiet during that time while everyone over valued her game. Just from watching I could tell her game wouldn’t translate to what her ranking said.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123

Anybody remember her the next coming superstar played with Del Rosario and Velez. Out of Maryland destination unknown.

Watched her plenty at Webb school on bellbuckle ! She was their shooter and they ran plays to get her the three point look ! She is not a Jackson type as she is slighter build. But I guess she would have two years ? I don’t know how her game has played out in college? Others might have input ?

Agreed this board praised her like she was the next big thing after the AA game only to go mum once she transferred right off the ship less than 365 days later lol.
I knew she wouldn’t be good, but I kept quiet during that time while everyone over valued her game. Just from watching I could tell her game wouldn’t translate to what her ranking said.

Reactions: DarkPhoenix
It’s getting out of hand and a lot of misinformation is spreading. Kaniya Boyd, Tamari Key, Talaysia Cooper, Destinee Wells, Sara Puckett, and Jewel Spear are starter caliber SEC players. Tweets do not change that fact. Posts on a message board do not change that fact. Kaniya Boyd can finish with both hands at the rim. Run and facilitate in transition. She is a highly rated prospect who is going to be the steal of the 2024 class. She plays lockdown defense. Can force turnovers and block shots. Talaysia Cooper is exceptional with quality ball handling skills and playmaking ability. One game of them against Tennessee at another school and most of this board would be begging for both players to enter the portal to become a Tennessee Vol. One look at either Cooper or Boyd film you can see they can shoot the basketball when needed. Cooper was rated higher than Flaujae Johnson out of high school and she can play that same role at Tennessee. Boyd reminds me of Alabama’s Loyal McQueen and Colorado’s Jaylyn Sherrod. I respect people opinions. We just can not have these players being talk down on as nothing more than bench players or backups. It is not true. I have more substance to provide if this labeling continues to wrongly characterize these high rated former high school players that committed to Tennessee to carry on the legacy of a Lady Vol.

Agreed this board praised her like she was the next big thing after the AA game only to go mum once she transferred right off the ship less than 365 days later lol.
This season hurt and so I’m not holding back anymore, we can’t accept mediocrity anymore. If a player can’t produce they need to sit or transfer out.

It’s getting out of hand and a lot of misinformation is spreading. Kaniya Boyd, Tamari Key, Talaysia Cooper, Destinee Wells, Sara Puckett, and Jewel Spear are starter caliber SEC players. Tweets do not change that fact. Posts on a message board do not change that fact. Kaniya Boyd can finish with both hands at the rim. Run and facilitate in transition. She is a highly rated prospect who is going to be the steal of the 2024 class. She plays lockdown defense. Can force turnovers and block shots. Talaysia Cooper is exceptional with quality ball handling skills and playmaking ability. One game of them against Tennessee at another school and most of this board would be begging for both players to enter the portal to become a Tennessee Vol. One look at either Cooper or Boyd film you can see they can shoot the basketball will needed. Cooper was rated higher than Flaujae Johnson out of high school and she can play that same role at Tennessee. Boyd reminds me of Alabama’s Loyal McQueen and Colorado’s Jaylyn Sherrod. I respect people opinions. We just can not have these players being take down on as nothing more than bench players or backups. It is not true. I have more substance to provide if this labeling continues to wrongly characterize these high rated former high school players that committed to Tennessee to carry on the legacy of a Lady Vol.
This!!!!

It’s getting out of hand and a lot of misinformation is spreading. Kaniya Boyd, Tamari Key, Talaysia Cooper, Destinee Wells, Sara Puckett, and Jewel Spear are starter caliber SEC players. Tweets do not change that fact. Posts on a message board do not change that fact. Kaniya Boyd can finish with both hands at the rim. Run and facilitate in transition. She is a highly rated prospect who is going to be the steal of the 2024 class. She plays lockdown defense. Can force turnovers and block shots. Talaysia Cooper is exceptional with quality ball handling skills and playmaking ability. One game of them against Tennessee at another school and most of this board would be begging for both players to enter the portal to become a Tennessee Vol. One look at either Cooper or Boyd film you can see they can shoot the basketball when needed. Cooper was rated higher than Flaujae Johnson out of high school and she can play that same role at Tennessee. Boyd reminds me of Alabama’s Loyal McQueen and Colorado’s Jaylyn Sherrod. I respect people opinions. We just can not have these players being talk down on as nothing more than bench players or backups. It is not true. I have more substance to provide if this labeling continues to wrongly characterize these high rated former high school players that committed to Tennessee to carry on the legacy of a Lady Vol.
As for my posts I wasn’t talking about Cooper or Boyd since I haven’t watched much film on them, I’m talking about the current players we have and Spear is our only starter in my opinion, if we go into the season having Key, Pucket, Striplin and Wynn starting we will win maybe 10 games and u can book it. Nothing wrong with being a backup and playing your role, we need more elite players if we want to win championships.

Indeed Lucy! It is one thing to want improvement on the roster. I want the same for Tennessee. It is another thing to clearly and falsely disparage the ability of the two highly rated players that signed with Tennessee out of high school and one year into college from the portal that are giving their best to revitalize this program with athletic talent.

Definitely think she, Bartlett, and another junior are pushed out. They have a point guard coming in next yr. Which will put them at 13. With Jersey commit that’s 14 and if they are on Scott that’s their limit. Not enough basketballs to go around in the Bayou. Definitely counting on Van Lith coming back.

I wouldn’t be interested at this point. She had a chance and I did not think she looked good at all in the limited minutes she did get. I do expect her to transfer at some point but I suspect it will be transfer down rather than a lateral or upward transfer.

Stand on business!!

I said the same in these threads. Thought her three release was starting too low and was too slow. I got lambasted. I have already stated I believe Coop will start for UT next season, where is to be determined. She can play 1-3 as I have stated. Boyd, well she looks the part on HS film, but you have to wait and see, I suspect she is the real deal however.

Last edited:
In fairness, Boyd and Cooper were not on the court this season so little of the conversation has been about them. But, they have been talked up when mentioned.

No one debates that Jewel is an SEC caliber player. It is whether or not she is a good or elite player. she had flashes of brilliance but was inconsistent. Next season will definitively tell the story

Tamari's situation is complicated because of her health issues. She came on toward the end of the season but I don't think she would have started for SC or LSU even at her best level of play in this season.

I truly hope she comes back for her covid season to really show what she can do.

Wells again due to injury is a bit of an unknown. She did great at the mid-major level but we never got to see (unfortunately) how well she would transition to power 5 play. Again, one to decide next season.

Puckett would be a solid role player for a lot of teams but again she does not make the core rotation for SC or LSU. She had a nice leap forward this year and I hope she can continue the curve for next season.

Last edited:
In fairness, Boyd and Cooper were not on the court this season so little of the conversation has been about them. But, they have been talked up when mentioned.

No one debates that Jewel is an SEC caliber player. It is whether or not she is a good or elite player. she had flashes of brilliance but was inconsistent. Next season will definitively tell the story

Tamari's situation is complicated because of her health issues. She came on toward the end of the season but I don't think she would have started for SC or LSU even at her best level of play in this season.

I truly hope she comes back for her covid season to really show what she can do.

Wells again due to injury is a bit of an unknown. She did great at the mid-major level but we never got to see (unfortunately) how well she would transition to power 5 play. Again, one to decide next season.

Puckett would be a solid role player for a lot of teams but again she does not make the core rotation for SC or LSU. She had a nice leap forward next year and I hope she can continue the curve for next season.
Puckett is a baller. She would start at some other SEC schools and play at most, but she would likely be lower on the SC, LSU depth charts. I like her a lot, but defensively she is not getting significant playing time on most elite squads. Nothing wrong with that, she can still be an impact player as she was this season. She had some huge moments this year, she has grit.

Last edited:
I said the same in these threads. Thought her three release was starting too low and was too slow. I got lambasted. I have already stated I believe Coop will start for UT next season, where is to be determined. She can play 1-3 as I have stated. Boyd, well she looks the part on HS film, but you have to wait and see, I suspect she is the real deal however.
I noticed all of her flaws but no reason for me to keep mentioning them since she’s gone. You know about Cooper than I do, but I do notice that’s she’s been putting the work in and that’s all I can ask for at this point. As for Boyd she’s coming off an injury so I’m not sure what we can expect next season.

Reactions: Rooster1

Puckett would be a solid role player for a lot of teams but again she does not make the core rotation for SC or LSU. She had a nice leap forward this year and I hope she can continue the curve for next season.
Interesting to me the pretty common notion here that Jewel is the one worthy starter, and Sara isn't. Statistically, this year they were almost identical players.
Mins - J 29 pg, S 27;
fg% J 43%, S 45%;
3pt % J - 37%, S-35%;
fts - J-84%; S-86%;
reb J- 4.9 pg, S-4.6 pg
Jewel took more shots 336 to 273, and more 3s, 185-108, as a result, Jewel avg 14 pts pg to Sara's 9.

Others may differ, but they are also very similar defensive players to me, both not really quick enough to guard the perimeter. Sara is a little longer, so has that advantage.

I get Jewel's Wake Forest history, and she did have a few games where she burned it up. Others where she disappeared. Same for Sara. The actual on court result this year against just doesn't seem all that different to me.

I appreciate both players alot and hope both are major contributors next year. But I'm just not getting Jewel as currently that much better of a player. I think we're deferring here to some pre-conceived notions about both.

Interesting to me the pretty common notion here that Jewel is the one worthy starter, and Sara isn't. Statistically, this year they were almost identical players.
Mins - J 29 pg, S 27;
fg% J 43%, S 45%;
3pt % J - 37%, S-35%;
fts - J-84%; S-86%;
reb J- 4.9 pg, S-4.6 pg
Jewel took more shots 336 to 273, and more 3s, 185-108, as a result, Jewel avg 14 pts pg to Sara's 9.

Others may differ, but they are also very similar defensive players to me, both not really quick enough to guard the perimeter. Sara is a little longer, so has that advantage.

I get Jewel's Wake Forest history, and she did have a few games where she burned it up. So did Sara. The actual on court result this year against this competition just doesn't seem all that different to me.

I appreciate both players alot and hope both are major contributors next year. But I'm just not getting Jewel as currently that much better of a player.

Sarah is def a starter and will be a key player for us next season. She may actually be the one who fills a lot of what Kea was doing imo.

Puckett has a very nice shot, very pure and likes to work that mid-range too. We didn’t see as much of that from her this season with Jackson working in the pinch post but we will see more of that I suspect.

The only issue she has with her game right now is mental consistency (Jewel as well) and her foot speed is questionable. Sarah is in phenomenal shape (maybe best on the team) and has a great strong build. I’m not sure her foot speed can be helped much. Doesn’t keep her out of the starting lineup so far as I can see though.

Mins - J 29 pg, S 27;
fg% J 43%, S 45%;
3pt % J - 37%, S-35%;
fts - J-84%; S-86%;
reb J- 4.9 pg, S-4.6 pg

I get Jewel's Wake Forest history, and she did have a few games where she burned it up. So did Sara. The actual on court result this year against this competition just doesn't seem all that different to me.

I appreciate both players alot and hope both are major contributors next year. But I'm just not getting Jewel as currently that much better of a player. I think we're deferring here to some pre-conceived notions about both.
They are nowhere near close, Spear took way more tough shots and defenses focus on her more compared to Pucket who gets more open shots. Puckett should not be starting but she is good at what she does and a good asset off the bench.

VN Store

Back