2024 Transfer Portal Thread

If you’re classifying Houston’s season as not being a “success” then there’s no use in discussing things with you. More teams than UConn had successful seasons.
Also, Houston lost last year to Miami in the sweet 16.

Maybe if they had a guy over 6’8, they might have won.

That’s cool. I’m not that excited. It would be a fine addition, but looking at his production it’s nothing to write home about at all. I would hope we wouldn’t play him for 25 MPG if the best he can give is 6 boards and 6 rebounds.
Yeah I’m most excited about him being a rim protector, no expecting a ton of offensive output.

Just to illustrate how good Aidoo was:

Flexi Okpara
24 MPG 6.6 PPG 6.4 RBG 0.5 AST 58.6% FG

Jonas Aidoo
25 MPG 11.4 PPG 7.3 RPG 1.0 AST 51% FG

Massive drop in production, even though Okpara would be a nice pick up.
Overall I agree with you, because I'm in the same camp you are when it comes to disagreeing with people just trashing on Aidoo and Awaka.

But it's also worth noting that while the minutes were similar, Okpara attempted 4.6 fewer FGs a game than Aidoo this past year, which would account some for the PPG difference. His shooting % is better than Aidoo's (58.6% overall, 60.7% from 2 vs. 51.5% overall and 53% from 2 for Aidoo).

More blocks per game at 2.4 vs. 1.8, but fewer rebounds at 6.4 vs. 7.3.

Also worth noting Okpara is coming into his 3rd season, which is where Aidoo took his big jump.

I think he'd be a great replacement for Aidoo with probably less offensive upside but better defensive production. Based solely off stats lol haven't watched his film tbh.

Overall I agree with you, because I'm in the same camp you are when it comes to disagreeing with people just trashing on Aidoo and Awaka.

But it's also worth noting that while the minutes were similar, Okpara attempted 4.6 fewer FGs a game than Aidoo this past year, which would account some for the PPG difference. His shooting % is better than Aidoo's (58.6% overall, 60.7% from 2 vs. 51.5% overall and 53% from 2 for Aidoo).

More blocks per game at 2.4 vs. 1.8, but fewer rebounds at 6.4 vs. 7.3.

Also worth noting Okpara is coming into his 3rd season, which is where Aidoo took his big jump.

I think he'd be a great replacement for Aidoo with probably less offensive upside but better defensive production. Based solely off stats lol haven't watched his film tbh.
Okpara has the same per 40 as Aidoo did (Sophomore year)

Okpara just averages 4.0 blocks to Aidoo’s 2.6

Wish someone had a REAL clue as to how he is weighing home state vs open volume shooter spot on our roster. The DK experience has to be a positive for us in his considerations. BUT the other argument is HISTORICALLY valid as well.
Seem to recall hearing or reading that his father might have been a UNC fan. If so, Cade might also have UNC leanings? Also read that his favorite players were Tyler Herro and Luke Kennard. A dookie and kat. In short, no idea. Just have to think proximity to family and playing for the state school/blue blood will be a draw that's too tough to overcome.

Just to illustrate how good Aidoo was:

Flexi Okpara
24 MPG 6.6 PPG 6.4 RBG 0.5 AST 58.6% FG

Jonas Aidoo
25 MPG 11.4 PPG 7.3 RPG 1.0 AST 51% FG

Massive drop in production, even though Okpara would be a nice pick up.

Why are blocks per game left off?

Felix 2.4
Aidoo 1.8

This is a legit rim protector & defensive monster.

About?

One is better defensively and one is better offensively.
You can make an argument Okpara is better defensively because he’s a better shot blocker, but you can also make an argument for Awaka because he is stronger and a better one in one defender in the post and the defensive metrics actually favor Awaka overall defensively.

Offensively there is no argument, Awaka is better in literally every catagory.

Also Awaka has been in the system for two years and Okpara would be brand new. I think it’s a silly to try and say we would be better off trading Awaka for Okpara.

You can make an argument Okpara is better defensively because he’s a better shot clocker, but you can also make an argument for Awaka because he is a better one in one defender in the post and the defensive metrics actually favor Awaka overall defensively.

Offensively there is no argument, Awaka is better in literally every catagory.

Also Awaka has been in the system for two years and Okpara would be brand new. I think it’s a silly to try and say we would be better off trading Awaka for Okpara.

Awaka: 15 / 14
60%
0.9 steals
2.0 blocks
Fouls: 7.7
18 USG%

Okpara: 10 / 11
58%
0.8 steals
4.0 blocks
Fouls: 5.3
12 USG%

Like I said one is better offensively and one is better defensively.

I’d be curious to see what Felix’s numbers would be if his USG% was the same as Awaka’s, offense wise.

Rebounding is more equal than we like to argue. OSU, starter wise across the board averaged more than we did. Their PG, SG, PF, and Okpara averaged 5+ where as ours, averaged like 2/4/3/7/7.

So I think they are actually pretty even. Would you rather have a scorer or a rim protector. Because I’d say rebounding they are pretty equal. They you decide if you want someone that’s 6’8 or 6’11

VN Store

Back