2024 Transfer Portal Thread

That's another point I considered but I also don't know that Lanier is as tailor-made for the NBA as Knecht is, and perhaps he knows that deep down. Getting money up front may be important to him. But to your point, I do think that he has a better chance of getting coached up and maximizing his talent under a proven commodity like Barnes. There is also probably a clearer path to playing time in Knoxville given that no one really knows how things shake out in Lexington with 13 new faces.
I think we get the credit for DK’s draft stock improvement whether it works for Lanier or not. These choices aren’t always perfectly rational, but you use the story you can sell. At his height, he’ll have to be extremely explosive, and score at a high rate to be interesting in the early rounds next year. The downside risk is the possibility that playing patiently in this system might lower his ppg numbers. I’m extremely excited about the offensive prospects of ZZ playing with Igor and Lanier. Neither of them look like typical Tennessee role players. It could be a fun year if we land Lanier and can develop some good chemistry.

At this point, I think you offer Lanier close to what he wants in terms of NIL money. He seems to be the piece to the puzzle that turns this team from a top 25 team to maybe top 5? I'm sure we have backup options if things go south, but I'm not sure we want to take a risk on a project player out of Europe?

Feel like we need more scoring and that is what Lanier brings. Dunlap and Lanier would make a very good 1-2 punch
Who’s Dunlap?

Reactions: onfocusgovols
I think we get the credit for DK’s draft stock improvement whether it works for Lanier or not. These choices aren’t always perfectly rational, but you use the story you can sell. At his height, he’ll have to be extremely explosive, and score at a high rate to be interesting in the early rounds next year. The downside risk is the possibility that playing patiently in this system might lower his ppg numbers. I’m extremely excited about the offensive prospects of ZZ playing with Igor and Lanier. Neither of them look like typical Tennessee role players. It could be a fun year if we land Lanier and can develop some good chemistry.
His measurements actually surprised me a bit at the combine, just shy of 6’4” w/o shoes and a 6’9” wingspan is really solid. Also had a 36” vertical which isn’t gonna be the highest but it pretty well above average. Definitely has legitimate NBA size and athleticism if the scoring can translate to this level.

His measurements actually surprised me a bit at the combine, just shy of 6’4” w/o shoes and a 6’9” wingspan is really solid. Also had a 36” vertical which isn’t gonna be the highest but it pretty well above average. Definitely has legitimate NBA size and athleticism if the scoring can translate to this level.
Agree. He’s a legitimate NBA body. He’s just not as obvious as DK. I do see him being drafted. It’s harder to envision him being a top ten pick. For our purposes, he’d be a great add, obviously.

Oh, absolutely, they get credit for it, and darn well better be selling that point while it's still fresh and new, which I'm sure they are to Lanier. The hope for Lanier is that there is a very small, if not unnoticeable adjustment period. I think that is what helped Knecht early on (plus the extra practice time with the Euro trip). We knew immediately that that dude was built differently and he made an immediate impact from day 1. I don't think anyone expects the same level of impact from Lanier, perhaps, but my hope is we aren't waiting until mid-January to see the best version of him because he needs an extensive ramp-up period.

Chaz had similar measurables as Knecht..right?

A few inches shorter, a few inches less on vert, but that’s not bad considering height, but I think they had the same reach if I’m not mistaken. If so, that’s plus.

Just prove you can put up somewhat similiar results in the SEC and I think he’s a lock to get drafted.

Prob going to sound stupid, but oh well lol. If Chaz comes here, he will average around 15-16ppg. If he goes to UK, I bet he doesn’t sniff 12ppg because of the minute share.

He needs to think about minutes and being showcased. He won’t get the minutes at UK as he would here, period. If UK gets Robinson or this kid they are about to land then the minutes just won’t be there. Krisa, Butler, and Brea all fighting for minutes at the 1-2. Chaz MAY get 20mpg.

Last edited:
I'm still pretty enthusiastic that we land Lanier. We are also hearing overinflated numbers across NIL. I don't believe for a second that Aidoo got 1.3 million for instance. Arkansas is working with a 5 million dollar NIL budget. They didn't drop 26 percent of their entire NIL on Aidoo.
How do you know Arkansas’ NIL budget? Please provide a link. TIA

Multiple reports/reporters mentioned that Calipari was guaranteed 5 million in NIL commitments as an incentive to take the job at Arkansas. Jeff Goodman, and Pete Thamel both reported it.
That would essentially be a minimum, like a floor, he’s getting more than that to work with I’m sure. The Osobor dude just got $2m, not far fetched to think Aidoo was over $1m

Multiple reports/reporters mentioned that Calipari was guaranteed 5 million in NIL commitments as an incentive to take the job at Arkansas. Jeff Goodman, and Pete Thamel both reported it.
Cal has access to 7.5 million per year for NIL at Arkansas. At least that's what I heard. If that's the case Cal will land anyone he wants

If Vols miss on Lanier to UK/Pope, there will be a meltdown of epic proportions here. There’s just no way to polish that turd if it happens.
We are gonna get Chaz. That is my hope and what I believe. Just be patient. He knows that CRB and staff will get him ready for the NBA. The money will come when the work is put in.

Coming from Brandon Ramsey on the KSR board. He received this text from someone who covers Tennessee.

“Hearing that Kentucky may have made Lanier & his family a NIL offer they can’t refuse”

If this is true, GO. GET. CAM. CHRISTIE

Reactions: SoullessGinger32_
Coming from Brandon Ramsey on the KSR board. He received this text from someone who covers Tennessee.

“Hearing that Kentucky may have made Lanier & his family a NIL offer they can’t refuse”

If true that will be a huge ouch. No way around it. Barnes needs to drop the bank for Lanier right now

If Vols miss on Lanier to UK/Pope, there will be a meltdown of epic proportions here. There’s just no way to polish that turd if it happens.
The eternal optimist in me (I have plenty of down moments, but always bubble back up pretty quickly) is working to be at peace with Lanier's decision whichever way it goes. Here's why. If Carr has a breakout season, which some of us believe he can, we would still have the potential for a pretty solid 8-9 man rotation:

ZZ
Carr
Dubar
Milicic
Okpara
Estrella
Mashack
Gainey
Phillips

If Carr earns 25+ minutes with his play and the new guys prove to be as advertised, it could take some of the sting out. I also expect Gainey to take it up a notch now that he's gotten used to this level of play and Estrella to show significant improvement. Yep, several big "ifs" there, but certainly none of them are that much of a stretch. If we assume Gainey DOESN'T make a little bit of a jump or Mashack stays about where he is offensively, that's the biggest hole we could be stuck in with scoring droughts likely. That's the void Lanier fills -- if Carr doesn't fit the bill, who do we have who is a bucket getter when you simply have to have one?

All that said, COME ON DOWN, CHAZ! 😍🤩You'll love it here.

Last edited:

So Lanier to UK is a lock then. They can’t refuse it.

Reactions: TrippieRedd

There is at least a 50% chance Brandon Ramsey is lying through his teeth for content. He’s one of the biggest Kentucky homers out there.

So Lanier to UK is a lock then. They can’t refuse it.
If this is true, then why is he visiting Tennessee later this week? That was just reported by Sean Sparks on Vol Vault. I believe we are in this to win it! It's time to get in the press and bring the defensive heat! Barnes is pretty good at bringing the heat!!!

End of the day let's see who he ends up visiting. If he visits only Vols then that's a moot point. If he visits both schools I'm sure people will be nervous.

VN Store

Back