2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I’m confused. He entered the portal, then posted this to stay. Now he’s coming here?
Think the message is quoting a post from the kid but now he's in the portal? So until it closes, its like a verbal commitment.... meaningless. Having said that, I'm not seeing how we become the destination or that he's even considering us. I'm not on social media so I'm likely very poorly informed.

Yeah I’m most excited about him being a rim protector, no expecting a ton of offensive output.
Yeah, he looks raw offensively but has upside. I would expect a bunch of dunks and lobs as he is pretty athletic for 6'11 kid. May be a problem in close games if he can't dramatically improve his FT shooting. Comparatively vs Awaka, he is better shot blocker, but worse rebounder. Awaka is more developed offensively on the post in my opinion just based on clips. Okpara probably would be better on pick and rolls. Really would hate for Tobe to be wearing another uniform next year. Could use them both but if each are looking for 24-25 minutes per game that would be difficult to find, because you would think Estrella is going to be around 15-16 himself at minimum.

Tobe can play some minutes at the 4, but with potentially Milicic (if we get him) and Phillips, someone loses minutes on the frontcourt. I don't buy the argument that Tobe couldn't play the 4. There aren't that many good stretch 4's to defend and he would eat someone whose stature was 6'7 215 for lunch in the post if he had enough touches. I think he can extend game out to 15 feet if given the chance. Powerful dude and at 6'8 250 still has a place in college game. Heck Jarnell Stokes was a 6'8 260 post a decade ago and we were within a few points of the Elite 8. Surround a strong post player with a handful of great shooters and a good PG and you can do well. Stokes didn't have a good PG that year. Trey Townsend at 6'6 228 at Oakland has cooked teams (including high major teams) for years and barely lived outside the paint and 15 feet from basket. He barely took 1 three-point attempt per game the last 2 years.

Relative to shot blocking, our team averaged 4.7 blocks per game this season with Aidoo leading the way. In 2016, we averaged 4.6 blocks per game with 6'4 Armani Moore leading the way. Barnes best shot blocking UT teams were when Yves Pons was on the court and he was 6'7. Moreso about team positioning, weak side blocks and contesting everything at the rim. Now big guys more likely can change shots which isn't a stat we keep.

I’m confused. He entered the portal, then posted this to stay. Now he’s coming here?

I was confused at first as well, but I think the Okpara post about coming back was earlier and now Trilly is reposting it to point out that things can always change when the portal is open.

VN Store

Back