2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Could a starting 5 of Zeigler-Gainey-Mashack-Dubar-Estrella get us to17-18 wins? Probably. Would prefer to get a guy to start over Gainey and have Gainey be a 6th man, and definitely need more depth. Get Igor and he can switch in and out at the 4. I really would like to see is bring in the MTSU post for a visit. He’s 6’10” and very versatile as well, so I don’t know how would be at the 5. He may just be a stretch four too. Curious to see what our next steps will be.
If Gainey is a starter, it's gonna be a long, long season.

Could a starting 5 of Zeigler-Gainey-Mashack-Dubar-Estrella get us to17-18 wins? Probably. Would prefer to get a guy to start over Gainey and have Gainey be a 6th man, and definitely need more depth. Get Igor and he can switch in and out at the 4. I really would like to see is bring in the MTSU post for a visit. He’s 6’10” and very versatile as well, so I don’t know how would be at the 5. He may just be a stretch four too. Curious to see what our next steps will be.
JCJ from MTSU seems to be really interested in us as well... I think the 6'10" big would be a great get. His 3 point shooting is phenomenal. Reminds me a little bit of a Bobby Portis type of player

Reactions: CNeagleVolFan
And I'm still convinced we will end up getting Chaz Lanier at shooting guard while Jordan Gainey is a 6th man type as you suggested. Lanier is a good go to scoring option who can create for himself and others that we currently lack.

Last edited:
If Gainey is a starter, it's gonna be a long, long season.

Only for the delusional fans. Might not be ranked in EVERY weekly poll for the 4th consecutive year but that hardly means it will be a long season. Being on the NIT bubble or worse would be a long season for the drive by fans.

I remember last year it felt like we were getting left behind in the portal but we ended up ok. Feels like we're lagging again but trying to stay hopeful. Not easy though.

I agree, to an extent, that we need to wait and see and it’s tracking similar to last year, but the difference is I don’t think we’re going to fall face first into another Dalton Knecht again. So the fact that we’re struggling and getting left behind yet again does make it a bit confidence shaking on how good this roster will really be next year.

Only for the delusional fans. Might not be ranked in EVERY weekly poll for the 4th consecutive year but that hardly means it will be a long season. Being on the NIT bubble or worse would be a long season for the drive by fans.
You do know that a team led by Coach Rick Barnes Ziegler and Mashack WILL in fact end up being better than what you're suggesting. No delusion about it Tennessee is in win mode right now & I personally think the Vols will be ranked every week this season for obvious reasons. Btw we have retained a lot of good talent & our off-szn has just began with a top 50 portal guy with versatility a good outside shot, toughness & another veteran presence. What makes you think we are remotely done getting the talent we need to be successful?

You do know that a team led by Coach Rick Barnes Ziegler and Mashack WILL in fact end up being better than what you're suggesting. No delusion about it Tennessee is in win mode right now & I personally think the Vols will be ranked every week this season for obvious reasons. Btw we have retained a lot of good talent & our off-szn has just began with a top 50 portal guy with versatility a good outside shot, toughness & another veteran presence. What makes you think we are remotely done getting the talent we need to be successful?

Are you combining posts you’re replying to? What do you think I’m suggesting? I said that dropping out of the top 25 at some point isn’t going to make it a long season. Gainey starting wouldn’t be a catastrophe.

Well, this is surprising considering we thought Baylor was our main competition. No way he chooses that school in the middle of a corn field over us! Right?
Hopefully not but Fred Hoiberg is a good coach and runs a style of offense Igor would be very good in.

Last edited:
Are you combining posts you’re replying to? What do you think I’m suggesting? I said that dropping out of the top 25 at some point isn’t going to make it a long season. Gainey starting wouldn’t be a catastrophe.
Might not be catastrophic, but it would be a most disturbing and disheartening turn of events for this old Vol fan.

Talk about a massive step down for your final year of eligibility lol.

Only place that would agree to play him 35 minutes a night and give him 30 shots! Don’t know Auburn’s basketball NIL situation, but would have to think he just got a major pay cut. Couldn’t happen to a better guy and I’ll be glad to never see his act on tv again

Last edited:
Reactions: lastlap
I am not sure that is true. He has shoWn he can hit his shots, penetrate, and run the fast break. He could, and lkely will improve his defense, but he played pretty good defense now. Don't write him off yet.
If Gainey starts, it means we had a bad portal haul this year....or something terrible happened to ZZ. Gainey is an emergency option at PG or a #2 in my mind. Really hope we can do better. He's okay as a reserve off the bench for the occasional spark, but a starter? Nah. Gotta have better.

VN Store

Back