2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I get what y’all are saying about taking project guys. I just hate it because there will be no more guys like Zakai if we start just taking portal guys. I’m hoping that some rules start getting made to regulate portal rules a little bit better, or else we might should just take portal guys.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of taking guys and developing them, but it’s starting to feel almost futile to do that in the portal era because keeping people happy with minutes is becoming more and more difficult.

You didn’t have transparency before when guys were getting money under the table, why would it frustrate you now?
Lol if Tennessee was paying players in Early 90's and in early 2000-2004 to play basketball then every who was dishing out the briefcase under the table didn't know talent.

Lol if Tennessee was paying players in Early 90's and in early 2000's to play basketball then every who was dishing out the briefcase under the table didn't know talent.

Haha true. Just talking about how it worked before, not whether or not UT was doing it for bball. There was no transparency

Reactions: knoxvol52
At this point, why? I was thinking about this a little bit more today, and it is starting to feel like it’s pointless. If you take a high school player that needs some development, feels likely we either ask them to leave a year from now if they aren’t progressing, or if they do progress well but don’t get big minutes as a freshmen/sophomore, they’ll transfer.

Maybe just pure transfer portal refresh is the only way to go annually at this point
I think HS recruiting outside Top 50, as we’ve seen more of here, is the move. Those guys typically are ok not playing year 1 and by year 2 you can decide if they’re worth keeping around or letting go (see Carr, Cade, JP).

Man. Say Tennessee makes the elite eight next year with Z and a bunch of randos. It wouldn't mean 1/10th what this year's elite eight meant to me. I mean really, if its 13 guys who spend six months in fort sanders doing online graduate courses, what connection do I have with them? I wish this whole transfer portal thing had happened much later in my life so I could've enjoyed college athletics for longer.

Man. Say Tennessee makes the elite eight next year with Z and a bunch of randos. It wouldn't mean 1/10th what this year's elite eight meant to me. I mean really, if its 13 guys who spend six months in fort sanders doing online graduate courses, what connection do I have with them? I wish this whole transfer portal thing had happened much later in my life so I could've enjoyed college athletics for longer.
Without the transfer portal we wouldn't have been close to the Elite 8

And asking for more money or I'm gone

Meh, I enjoy watching college sports but it doesn’t upset me to see players come & go.

Long as you enjoy the memories, that’s all that matters.

In the end, it’s just a game.

Meh, I enjoy watching college sports but it doesn’t upset me to see players come & go.

Long as you enjoy the memories, that’s all that matters.

In the end, it’s just a game.
But part of the fun of college sports is seeing the players who walk the same halls you used to and maybe your children currently do grow and develop as players. If it’s just professional sports but even more roster volatility but worse players, why not just watch professional sports?

Welcome to Kentucky basketball. 😕

But part of the fun of college sports is seeing the players who walk the same halls you used to and maybe your children currently do grow and develop as players. If it’s just professional sports but even more roster volatility but worse players, why not just watch professional sports?

Of course.

However, college sports was eventually going to be like this sooner or later.

All we can do is accept it for what it is.

Welcome to Kentucky basketball. 😕
Yup. And I dont like that regardless, but on top of it, I worry we dont have the stature in basketball to be consistently successful with consistent roster turnover like Kentucky mostly managed. So we will likely have less success AND less of a connection with players than before this madness

Of course.

However, college sports was eventually going to be like this sooner or later.

All we can do is accept it for what it is.
But I am asking why accept it? If college basketball is just minor league NBA, why not just watch the NBA? This is a genuine question I want someone to answer, im not just lamenting the state of college athletics (but I am also doing that)

VN Store

Back