2024 Transfer Portal Thread

When he could stay out of foul trouble, Maschack was playing roughly 20-25 minutes a game late in the season. His role grew throughout the year on one of the most experienced teams in college basketball. I would imagine his role will only grow next year if he sticks around which is what makes this so weird.

He never struck me as a “money first” type of player and I’m not saying he is, but with 1 season of eligibility left it certainly feels like this is a decision based on money.

Kinda sounds like mashack leaving would be directly correlated to who we bring in. So if he leaves, we likely have landed both Dubar and Tyson at the wing/stretch 4 spot. While Aidoo is probably the more important piece to keep at this juncture, if we keep 1/2 of the guys we are currently sweating, we’re still returning 3-4 rotation players from last season (depending on if you count JP). And if mashack leaves, we are likely bringing in wing players that would be of equal or bigger impact as replacement.
Yep likely. I would start him at the 2 or 3 based on who we get in the portal regardless and be willing to accept one less portal player just to keep him or be resigned to get developmental players. Get Lanier, let Mashack play the 3. Don't get Lanier, let Mashack start at the 2 alongside ZZ and have the best defensive backcourt in the country. Continuity is important to the program.

When he could stay out of foul trouble, Maschack was playing roughly 20-25 minutes a game late in the season. His role grew throughout the year on one of the most experienced teams in college basketball. I would imagine his role will only grow next year if he sticks around which is what makes this so weird.

He never struck me as a “money first” type of player and I’m not saying he is, but with 1 season of eligibility left it certainly feels like this is a decision based on money.
California kid maybe just maybe he wants to play closer to home and his family.

You are correct that I trust Barnes to keep us competitive and field a solid team, but this year would feel different than year’s past. It is one thing to see a couple of players riding the bench look for playing time elsewhere, it would be uncharted territory for Tennessee to watch guys we’ve been watching grow for years that are either starters or playing significant minutes leave.

It just sucks. I don’t like it. I want Aidoo and Mashack to graduate a Vol. Going to be hard to remember them fondly if they finish their last year elsewhere.
I understand that, but it’s the new era of collegiate sports unfortunately.

I’ll also add this…coaches have decision to make in regards to NIL, it’s not infinite, at least not for most. If guys on your roster have limitations and you feel guys behind them can provide as much or more for less $$$, sometimes you gotta go that route. Same for the portal, if you think you can add someone who can fill a spot left by someone and for less $$$, you sometimes take it as well. It’s now a business, players leaving their “beloved” schools for a bit more money, and coaches allowing players to leave to save $$$.

I think we should get 2-3 good portal players, but I think we should see if we can get a couple late high school commits at this point. Assuming Aidoo is gone, we got ZZ-Gainey-Carr-Mashack-Estrella as a potential starting 5 at the moment. Then you got Cade Phillips and Boswell on the bench. Losing Mashack would be horrible at this point. I think Estrella can become an all-SEC type player, but it just depends on how he develops in the off-season. I love Carr’s potential too.

The portal giveth, the portal taketh away. The kind of turnover we’re potentially looking at is what could drive Barnes to pull a Jay Wright and decide to go out on a high note because it just isn’t worth dealing with the nonsense that is the one time transfer rule.
The comparison to Jay Wright is a good one. Personally I wouldn’t blame Rick if he did make that decision at his age. This has got to be awful for a coach to have to deal with this mess. Personally I think a lot of programs are going to be in a rebuilding mode every year and it ain’t going to be fun for anybody. This is what the new system hath wrought.

Good, will have our 4
Yeah, I’m getting to the point where I think we get Dubar, Lanier, and Thomas would be the best portal result for us. After that I think we should try to get in on some high school recruits. Need some multi year guys. So either some high school guys or some younger guys out of the portal like Mack

Yeah, I’m getting to the point where I think we get Dubar, Lanier, and Thomas would be the best portal result for us. After that I think we should try to get in on some high school recruits. Need some multi year guys. So either some high school guys or some younger guys out of the portal like Mack
I definitely think we get Lanier and Dubar. Not sure on Thomas, would be nice. Interestingly, the only two portal targets Coach Rod currently follows are Lanier and Dubar.

I’m sure that doesn’t really mean anything though

Reactions: onfocusgovols
I definitely think we get Lanier and Dubar. Not sure on Thomas, would be nice. Interestingly, the only two portal targets Coach Rod currently follows are Lanier and Dubar.

I’m sure that doesn’t really mean anything though
If we start off with Dubar and Lanier I’ll feel pretty great. Those are 2 of the most efficient players in the entire country

Reactions: berryvol
I think we should get 2-3 good portal players, but I think we should see if we can get a couple late high school commits at this point. Assuming Aidoo is gone, we got ZZ-Gainey-Carr-Mashack-Estrella as a potential starting 5 at the moment. Then you got Cade Phillips and Boswell on the bench. Losing Mashack would be horrible at this point. I think Estrella can become an all-SEC type player, but it just depends on how he develops in the off-season. I love Carr’s potential too.

At this point, why? I was thinking about this a little bit more today, and it is starting to feel like it’s pointless. If you take a high school player that needs some development, feels likely we either ask them to leave a year from now if they aren’t progressing, or if they do progress well but don’t get big minutes as a freshmen/sophomore, they’ll transfer.

Maybe just pure transfer portal refresh is the only way to go annually at this point

At this point, why? I was thinking about this a little bit more today, and it is starting to feel like it’s pointless. If you take a high school player that needs some development, feels likely we either ask them to leave a year from now or they aren’t progressing, or if they do progress well but don’t get big minutes as a freshmen/sophomore, they’ll transfer.

Maybe just pure transfer portal refresh is the only way to go annually at this point
Yeah, it seems like projects will have less room on P5 rosters, or at least on rosters of teams that are least Tier 4 and up that are attractive to players in the portal. They will be relegated to lesser programs no matter how much talent/potential they have because why use a scholarship on them when you can plug in an already developed transfer guy?

I guess I'm just not grasping the scale of the arms race going on here. It makes sense considering the ROI you can get with basketball NIL and we've already seen teams like LSU in baseball with the big NIL bag win a title. Obviously it's early and it sounds like we are swimming in great waters again as it relates to portal additions. It just sucks that we somehow go from tampering allegation rumors, bringing retaining Aidoo, landing Knecht/Gainey/Ledlum last year to not being prepared to counter offers guys we had to have known would be getting offers.

It's the lack of transparency about this era that irks me. I'd love to know how much we are spending on basketball vs other sports and how that compares nationally.

Yeah, it seems like projects will have less room on P5 rosters, or at least on rosters of teams that are least Tier 4 and up that are attractive to players in the portal. They will be relegated to lesser programs no matter how much talent/potential they have because why use a scholarship on them when you can plug in an already developed transfer guy?
Yup. Most of the lower ranked guys will go to “lesser” schools, get their stock up and eventually/hopefully make it to a major D1 school.

Feels like free agency mixed with the MLB having their minor league teams

Reactions: knoxvol52
This is the game now and Im not so sure that its a bad thing considering 99% of these young men wont play professionally.

If we refuse to play it then that's on us.

I honestly believe this was a team full of replaceable role players and Zeigler and Knecht.

Just rebuild again.

If Barnes dont want to do it and wants to go play golf he's earned that right.

Go get Pearl back.

Pearl??? 🤮

I guess I'm just not grasping the scale of the arms race going on here. It makes sense considering the ROI you can get with basketball NIL and we've already seen teams like LSU in baseball with the big NIL bag win a title. Obviously it's early and it sounds like we are swimming in great waters again as it relates to portal additions. It just sucks that we somehow go from tampering allegation rumors, bringing retaining Aidoo, landing Knecht/Gainey/Ledlum last year to not being prepared to counter offers guys we had to have known would be getting offers.

It's the lack of transparency about this era that irks me. I'd love to know how much we are spending on basketball vs other sports and how that compares nationally.

You didn’t have transparency before when guys were getting money under the table, why would it frustrate you now?

I get what y’all are saying about taking project guys. I just hate it because there will be no more guys like Zakai if we start just taking portal guys. I’m hoping that some rules start getting made to regulate portal rules a little bit better, or else we might should just take portal guys.

VN Store

Back