2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I don’t know. I think theoretically losing Awaka, Dillione, Aidoo, DJ, and Mashack all to the portal alongside 3 senior departures is a much different and more dire scenario than losing Plavsic, ORN, and Julian Phillips to the draft.
And maybe we bring in more than just 2 guys? I’ll take the wager that we don’t field a Top 20 team next year to anyone who wants the action, this is a regularly scheduled VN freak out.

I don’t know. I think theoretically losing Awaka, Dillione, Aidoo, DJ, and Mashack all to the portal alongside 3 senior departures is a much different and more dire scenario than losing Plavsic, ORN, and Julian Phillips to the draft.
Kinda sounds like mashack leaving would be directly correlated to who we bring in. So if he leaves, we likely have landed both Dubar and Tyson at the wing/stretch 4 spot. While Aidoo is probably the more important piece to keep at this juncture, if we keep 1/2 of the guys we are currently sweating, we’re still returning 3-4 rotation players from last season (depending on if you count JP). And if mashack leaves, we are likely bringing in wing players that would be of equal or bigger impact as replacement.

Reactions: onfocusgovols
Also don’t be shocked if Awaka ends up back here if Aidoo does indeed leave
TBH, at this point, I’d rather have Awaka back. On the On3 board a pretty reliable poster kind of hinted that Aidoo did this same thing last year and we caved and offered more money. This year he did the same thing and we were kind of like “fine leave”. Almost tired of dealing with him trying to just start a bidding war.

And maybe we bring in more than just 2 guys? I’ll take the wager that we don’t field a Top 20 team next year to anyone who wants the action, this is a regularly scheduled VN freak out.

You are correct that I trust Barnes to keep us competitive and field a solid team, but this year would feel different than year’s past. It is one thing to see a couple of players riding the bench look for playing time elsewhere, it would be uncharted territory for Tennessee to watch guys we’ve been watching grow for years that are either starters or playing significant minutes leave.

It just sucks. I don’t like it. I want Aidoo and Mashack to graduate a Vol. Going to be hard to remember them fondly if they finish their last year elsewhere.

The portal giveth, the portal taketh away. The kind of turnover we’re potentially looking at is what could drive Barnes to pull a Jay Wright and decide to go out on a high note because it just isn’t worth dealing with the nonsense that is the one time transfer rule.

He isn’t going to leave us high and dry with 3 weeks left till the portal closes.

Reactions: Orange.
This just blows. We have had to deal with transfer portal departures before, but nothing like the scale of this. It completely numbs my excitement for next season. All of the players we have grown to love and enjoy watching looking for greener pastries rather than graduating a Volunteer is depressing.

I never had any illusion that we wouldn’t see some solid turnover from year to year in the portal era, but an almost literal complete roster remake the off-season directly after making an E8 and winning the SEC is not something I saw coming.
Guess the bright side is that Barnes can recognize, recruit and develop talent. Folks want what we have. Plus he did bring in knecht. Let's see how he navigates this turn of events. My money is on Barnes.

VN Store

Back