2024 Transfer Portal Thread

This is the game now and Im not so sure that its a bad thing considering 99% of these young men wont play professionally.

If we refuse to play it then that's on us.

I honestly believe this was a team full of replaceable role players and Zeigler and Knecht.

Just rebuild again.

If Barnes dont want to do it and wants to go play golf he's earned that right.

Go get Pearl back.

So basically Barnes helps develop these guys into the great players they are and we lose them because someone offers them insane amounts of money.

In this day and age, it would be irresponsible to not take the bag, especially if you only have one or two years of eligibility left and you aren't going pro. This stuff has nothing to with the staff, the school or really playing time. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Nobody is as good at scamming money out of people like Danny White, so Tennessee will be prepared next year.

Reactions: Mullins2010
In this day and age, it would be irresponsible to not take the bag, especially if you only have one or two years of eligibility left and you aren't going pro. This stuff has nothing to with the staff, the school or really playing time. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Nobody is as good at scamming money out of people like Danny White, so Tennessee will be prepared next year.
Especially if you’re Mashack and/or Aidoo, who are impact college players, but likely have no long term NBA future. Can’t blame them at all for taking a bag if we refuse to make a comparable offer, that’s on us (and probably can’t blame us either, if the staff feels they have good enough options elsewhere).

It certainly is what it is, but I don't have to like it. It sucks. I foresaw this playing out like this in my mind, eventually, but really hoped I would be wrong.
I felt the same way when free agency came to pro sports. Ruined my devotion to the game. Now I see the players as mercenaries and don't get attached to any name wearing the jersey.

Reactions: cncchris33
That’s not the problem. We have a good NIL. We just didn’t anticipate this. A few programs have put together offers for top players at several programs. The size of these offers is of a different scale than we are used to.

Any chance this is a product of Cal/Arky trying to rebuild a roster from ground zero?

I felt the same way when free agency came to pro sports. Ruined my devotion to the game. Now I see the players as mercenaries and don't get attached to any name wearing the jersey.
I agree. I even wrote a paper in college on how free agency ruined professional sports from a fan's perspective. But this era of college sports makes professional free agency look like a blood oath.

So we will have an opportunity to counter the teams offers that they’re getting?
The players that have left or may leave shared that they’ve received offers in their one on one meetings last week. If there was a time to counter, it was then, or soon after. The numbers and the pitches were not something we had a good answer for.

At least in the pros the teams that are paying the players get some sort of contract.

We can drop six figures in NIL to keep a player and then they're gone the next year and zero return on the investment (Freddie for example) for the year they rode the bench being paid.

NOW I'm sure Freddie fully expected and wanted to play. But there are plenty of "get my bag" types that wouldn't care at all about what they did or didn't give in return.

VN Store

Back