2024 Transfer Portal Thread

1.) He wasn't originally committed to Tennessee, so his initial commitment wasn't as affectionately arrived at like someone like JJJ, Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, etc. He was rushed thru the process after decommitting from Marquette.

2.) He almost left last year, so doing it this year isn't quite a shock to his system. In his mind, he's already processed this decision once before, just with a potentially different outcome. In other words, he's already pictured in his mind what it might look like to be somewhere else.

3.) He holds the cards against Tennessee, now. He's our only experienced big man returning. He likely wants to be compensated for the value that status brings. If he's getting an offer elsewhere, I can see why he'd want to maximize that value.

4.) He might see a better path to a F4 elsewhere. The reality is that we lose a lot of production. Betting on Tennessee requires a bit of faith at this point. Saddling yourself to Duke or UNC offers a more certain path to his last shot at a title.

5.) He may be at odds over being pulled in the final game of the season. That may not have set well with him and so it may be a Chase Burns situation where it's best for all parties to go separate ways.

It could be any or all of those things. Nothing surprises me anymore. If Mashack bolts, too, I honestly wouldn't then be stunned to see ZZ hit the portal after he looks around at what remains of this team (himself, 3 freshman and Gainey) and decides that he's got little connection to anyone left and his services would be highly sought after by a major contender willing to pay him big money.

The portal sucks. NIL sucks. But we all saw this coming. It's ruined college sports.
I agree that the portal stinks, but it's reality. Just embrace it and work it. It's not like we have to go into next season with five 18 year olds. We might start slower than this year, but by tournament time, we might surprise folks of we get the right players on the roster. Won't panic until we see what the final roster looks like.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Is football just decimating our NIL budget in every other sport? I don't understand how we could be so far behind being able to match offers with some of these guys especially considering the success in basketball/baseball vs football.

I know money runs the show here but damn.

I agree that the portal stinks, but it's reality. Just embrace it and work it. It's not like we have to go into next season with five 18 year olds. We might start slower than this year, but by tournament time, we might surprise folks of we get the right players on the roster. Won't panic until we see what the final roster looks like.
ZZ, Lanier, Thomas, Dubar, Ballo and people will get excited

I’m not sure how Barnes navigates this. If we lose our entire roster, I do wonder if that pushes Barnes to an earlier than expected retirement. He has had particularly strong relationships with the core guys like Santi, JJJ, ZZ, Maschack, Aidoo, and Awaka. If all of those faces end up gone, does that make him consider if it’s even worth going through a complete rebuild?

To be honest, I always thought he retires next year with ZZ graduating. But JJJ/Santi were closer to him than ZZ has been. I wouldn't blame him if he does since he has gone as far as he can by having greatest season in school history this year.

If you told me we'd get 9-10 years out of Barnes the day we hired him, everyone would say hell yes.

Also I feel like the wording between BTO and SF feels like this is most likely going to happen. I cannot believe this tight group would all leave after all of the success that we had this year.

Purchase the top players in the portal at each position x 3
From 1&D to 1 yr eligibility

Also I feel like the wording between BTO and SF feels like this is most likely going to happen. I cannot believe this tight group would all leave after all of the success that we had this year.

Sure but the other angle to this is what if Barnes has decided this is it and wants to retire? And part of that process is making sure the guys are taken care of.

It certainly is what it is, but I don't have to like it. It sucks. I foresaw this playing out like this in my mind, eventually, but really hoped I would be wrong.

Is football just decimating our NIL budget in every other sport? I don't understand how we could be so far behind being able to match offers with some of these guys especially considering the success in basketball/baseball vs football.

I know money runs the show here but damn.
That’s not the problem. We have a good NIL. We just didn’t anticipate this. A few programs have put together offers for top players at several programs. The size of these offers is of a different scale than we are used to.

That’s not the problem. We have a good NIL. We just didn’t anticipate this. A few programs have put together offers for top players at several programs. The size of these offers is of a different scale than we are used to.
Our the players vetting the offers? Anybody can offer anything but if it’s not in writing…

SF, you have been screenshotted in a response to a mama Mashack post

It certainly is what it is, but I don't have to like it. It sucks. I foresaw this playing out like this in my mind, eventually, but really hoped I would be wrong.
Accept that the end game is full contract employee status and player unionization, because that’s what’s going to happen. I’d take that over what we have now tbh

I mean the bigger issue is that a lot of these guys are only going to get one big payday...

It's hard to pitch "develop you for the NBA" when more often than not those developmental type players won't see the NBA. So a guy like Mashack would absolutely benefit from another year here developing and still not make the league, but he may have a big chunk of NIL from someone that only cares about next season and trying to make their team better immediately.

Call me crazy, but I don't think ZZ will do anything but play his guts out for the O & W. After what the fanbase did for him before NIL ever really took off and after his entire family relocated to be here specifically....just don't see it happening.

VN Store

Back