2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Not aware of our schedule next year yet (it normally comes out in like july right?)and because of portal most rosters are in flux.. but how many did we face this year? We took 9 losses lets break em down

Purdue 3 big men totaled 67 mins 34 points 22 rebounds 11 fouls none fouled out. both ours fouled out totalled 25 mins 11 points and 2 rebounds. 1 true 7 footer
Kansas 3 big men totaled 73 mins 32 points 26 rebounds 4 fouls even got close to foul trouble. Our guys 34 mins 9 points 11 rebounds 4 fouls. 1 true 7 footer
N Carolina rotated 5 guys Awaka didn't play Aidoo played 21 minutes and fouled out. they had no 7 footers but 3 guys 6'10-6'11
Mississippi State 6'11 Tolu Smith decided to have his way for 23 points and only 6 boards in 29 mins and dominate the post. both Awaka and Aidoo fouled out playing 20 mins each 13 points 11 boards
South Carolina this game was basically a wash in the post they were able to get AIdoo in foul trouble they beat us at the lines (free throw and 3 point) they did have a 7 footer
Texas A&M Had no 7 footer but rotated 4 guys to neutralize Aidoo and Awaka.. they didn't foul out but combined for 11 points and 8 rebounds.
Kentucky 3 7 footers but this is the one loss that was 100% guard play.. neither teams post play was a factor in the outcome. no foul trouble
Mississippi State team as a whole couldn't hit a shot if their lives depended on it...I honestly think we lost this one on purpose to rest up. ZZ was the only guy who didn't get the memo.
Purdue Awaka fouled out in 12 mins Aidoo played 10

So of our 9 losses
only 2 teams ad 3 games Mississippi State and A&M had no 7 footer (just missed by 6'11) but all had one thing in common they outsized us and had more depth in the post.
So 5 of the 9 losses our post players were in foul trouble. In all but two they are ineffective.
Pretty much anytime we ran into a decent team with depth in the post we lost. 7 of our 9 losses were directly because we could not handle their post rotation.
I don’t get the full scope of your argument. We have 4 scholarship guys on the roster in the 6’9 range or bigger and most of the teams you mention won’t even have those players next year..are you saying our roster doesn’t have enough bigs to throw at teams? Because 4 seems like a good number in that area don’t you think?

I don’t get the full scope of your argument. We have 4 scholarship guys on the roster in the 6’9 range or bigger and most of the teams you mention won’t even have those players next year..are you saying our roster doesn’t have enough bigs to throw at teams? Because 4 seems like a good number in that area don’t you think?
We currently have 1 scholly guy thats a post, Estrella and the other 2 are transfers. Phillips is 197 pounds..of the transfers in Okpara is a slightly smaller Aidoo, Dubar is a tall 2/3, Milicic is a stretch 4. So we have 2.5 true post players Estrella, Okpara and Milicic..which pretty much leaves us in a similar post situation as far as depth as last year. We have 3 guys and after that we are playing guards and PF and center. IF you look at Okpara and Milicic's game logs from last season look at the PF section they are both foul prone. In games where they played high d1 schools Milicic got shut down probably because of double teams. I think both of them will be good players here.. the problem is whats behind them? We still have some slots I am hoping we bring in at least 2 other guys that can play in the post so we are not playing guards out of position for long stretches. We can win 25-30 games with those guys but come tourney time the game becomes a halfcourt game. How many teams in the elite 8 were playing small ball? The answer is 1 UT. Every team in the final 4 had at least 3 legit post players in their 8-9 man rotation. UT had 2 anytime Estrella or Philips got PT it was because Awaka or Aidoo were out or in foul trouble.

Realistically our 3rd post player was JJJ. He did an amazing job but we were outmatched anytime we came against teams that could establish an inside game. When your second and 3rd leading rebounders are guards. You only have 2 guys over 6'6 in the top 9 in rebounding something is wrong. Cade Phillips outrebounded J.P. Estrella last season....marinate on that all 197 pounds of him

But honestly that's not the real point or question. The real one is why has UT historically had issues recruiting depth at post? It's Rare we even see a 7 footer signed we always get the 6'9 210 pound try-hards that have to grow into it. Plasvic averaged 14 mins a game and had a huge impact on the season only playing that much. Vincent Alexander going down changed the whole tournament run that season. Imagine how lets imagine if Uros stayed last season, or BHH or ORN never transferred how that changes the whole conversation. Neither of them even had to be all SEC just exist to play 10 or so minutes. I honestly think we have been 10 minutes a game in the post away from a perennial final 4 team.

We currently have 1 scholly guy thats a post, Estrella and the other 2 are transfers. Phillips is 197 pounds..of the transfers in Okpara is a slightly smaller Aidoo, Dubar is a tall 2/3, Milicic is a stretch 4. So we have 2.5 true post players Estrella, Okpara and Milicic..which pretty much leaves us in a similar post situation as far as depth as last year. We have 3 guys and after that we are playing guards and PF and center. IF you look at Okpara and Milicic's game logs from last season look at the PF section they are both foul prone. In games where they played high d1 schools Milicic got shut down probably because of double teams. I think both of them will be good players here.. the problem is whats behind them? We still have some slots I am hoping we bring in at least 2 other guys that can play in the post so we are not playing guards out of position for long stretches. We can win 25-30 games with those guys but come tourney time the game becomes a halfcourt game. How many teams in the elite 8 were playing small ball? The answer is 1 UT. Every team in the final 4 had at least 3 legit post players in their 8-9 man rotation. UT had 2 anytime Estrella or Philips got PT it was because Awaka or Aidoo were out or in foul trouble.

Realistically our 3rd post player was JJJ. He did an amazing job but we were outmatched anytime we came against teams that could establish an inside game. When your second and 3rd leading rebounders are guards. You only have 2 guys over 6'6 in the top 9 in rebounding something is wrong. Cade Phillips outrebounded J.P. Estrella last season....marinate on that all 197 pounds of him

But honestly that's not the real point or question. The real one is why has UT historically had issues recruiting depth at post? It's Rare we even see a 7 footer signed we always get the 6'9 210 pound try-hards that have to grow into it. Plasvic averaged 14 mins a game and had a huge impact on the season only playing that much. Vincent Alexander going down changed the whole tournament run that season. Imagine how lets imagine if Uros stayed last season, or BHH or ORN never transferred how that changes the whole conversation. Neither of them even had to be all SEC just exist to play 10 or so minutes. I honestly think we have been 10 minutes a game in the post away from a perennial final 4 team.
So you don’t want to take into account a full off season of growth and development? Does that not happen under Barnes?

So you don’t want to take into account a full off season of growth and development? Does that not happen under Barnes?
Again the point is the history of posts not this specific team.. Yes I used this team as an example and pointed out we likely have similar results to last year... a 3 man rotation in the frontcourt with at least 1 guy playing out of position. The fact I said it will likely be similar results is taking into account the development. That is assuming Estrella can perform at or near the level of Awaka and Okpura can be the Aidoo replacement and Igor and/or Darlingstone can fill in the spot of JJJ. It still leaves us really vulnerable to the same things we were this past season. And it still does not explain the dearth of 7-footers in Knoxville for the past 20+ years.

Since 2004 we have had 1 legit 7 footer on Scholly and 11 of 22 years we have had no players over 6'9 period. That is weird. I don't mean guys that start or star I mean just a few extra bodies you pop in a game for 5-10 mins to give your starter a breather and give some good hard fouls. Pushing up against a big body for a few mins takes a lot of energy out of you. Its what we did with Uros... he only averaged 14 mins a game but in those 14 mins he soaked a ton of energy out of the other teams center.

Reactions: garyp194

But honestly that's not the real point or question. The real one is why has UT historically had issues recruiting depth at post? It's Rare we even see a 7 footer signed we always get the 6'9 210 pound try-hards that have to grow into it. Plasvic averaged 14 mins a game and had a huge impact on the season only playing that much. Vincent Alexander going down changed the whole tournament run that season. Imagine how let’s imagine if Uros stayed last season, or BHH or ORN never transferred how that changes the whole conversation. Neither of them even had to be all SEC just exist to play 10 or so minutes. I honestly think we have been 10 minutes a game in the post away from a perennial final 4 team.
No, a lot of this is flat out untrue, and you are worrying about nothing. Philips was listed as being 212lbs on last years roster not 197. He will be 220ish next year.

Dubar is a 3/4 not a 2/3. He is a great replacement for JJJ and is actually taller than him. Milicic has a very solid looking build to him. He was listed at 225 on last years roster. Expect him to be 230+ next season after working in our S&C program.

Okpara is listed at 235..expect him to gain 5+ pounds as well. Not to mention the scouting report on him is he is much more aggressive than Aidoo. We are likely to get Gabriel Mabor as well. We will have plenty of post players even if we get into foul trouble, and I haven’t even mentioned Estrella yet. This is much Aidoo about nothing. GBO

Last edited:

Basketball is different today, and it is more of a position-less game. You certainly need length and height but not like you used to.

I’m just trying to figure out your statement about the Final Four teams. Just off the top of my head, after Edey, Purdue only had Kaufman-Renn who significantly contributed at 6’9.” They didn’t have 3. Alabama had Nelson at 6’10,” and Pringle at 6’9. That was about it. Walters and Stephenson had height but aren’t post players, and frankly, didn’t contribute enough consistently to matter.

Basketball is different today, and it is more of a position-less game. You certainly need length and height but not like you used to.

I’m just trying to figure out your statement about the Final Four teams. Just off the top of my head, after Edey, Purdue only had Kaufman-Renn who significantly contributed at 6’9.” They didn’t have 3. Alabama had Nelson at 6’10,” and Pringle at 6’9. That was about it. Walters and Stephenson had height but aren’t post players, and frankly, didn’t contribute enough consistently to matter.
the NBA is positionless. College still can be dominated by old school dominant centers. Exhibit 1 Zach Edey. He will probably be an OK NBA player even fringe all-star IF he goes to a team that accepts his playstyle. In college, he was literally the most dominant player we have seen for a long time in the modern game....You cant teach size and if you find size along with just enough footspeed, coordination and conditioning magical things happen.

In college, one big freak of nature can change the whole game. You could take the last man on the bench from 13 random NBA teams that would destroy any college team. The 6'9 center in the NBA is a freak of nature... the one in college is some skinny kid they stuffed a few burgers in to bulk him up. Look at Tacko Fall who lead UCF to their first-ever NCAA tourney win and couldn't even hack it in the G-league. The NBA and college are different sports altogether. But for like the the time my point is about whats behind the starters... and we have the same thing we had last year nothing thus far. JJJ had his best statistical year at UT playing wildly out of position.

For the year at the 4 and 5 that's 80 minutes a game JJJ, Awaka and Aidoo averaged 67 together that means we got 13 mins from other players at those positions. If those 13 mins had been Uros we win 30 games and advance to at least the final 4. Its not about the starters its about the backups..

The reason is because they’re Kentucky fans lol
It wouldn't surprise me if they could offer a bigger NIL deal. I have no inside knowledge, but they're a basketball blueblood. They want to be relevant in football, but that's not going to happen. So, their best choice is trying to restore the glory of their basketball program. Doubt that happens either.

the NBA is positionless. College still can be dominated by old school dominant centers. Exhibit 1 Zach Edey. He will probably be an OK NBA player even fringe all-star IF he goes to a team that accepts his playstyle. In college, he was literally the most dominant player we have seen for a long time in the modern game....You cant teach size and if you find size along with just enough footspeed, coordination and conditioning magical things happen.

In college, one big freak of nature can change the whole game. You could take the last man on the bench from 13 random NBA teams that would destroy any college team. The 6'9 center in the NBA is a freak of nature... the one in college is some skinny kid they stuffed a few burgers in to bulk him up. Look at Tacko Fall who lead UCF to their first-ever NCAA tourney win and couldn't even hack it in the G-league. The NBA and college are different sports altogether. But for like the the time my point is about whats behind the starters... and we have the same thing we had last year nothing thus far. JJJ had his best statistical year at UT playing wildly out of position.

For the year at the 4 and 5 that's 80 minutes a game JJJ, Awaka and Aidoo averaged 67 together that means we got 13 mins from other players at those positions. If those 13 mins had been Uros we win 30 games and advance to at least the final 4. Its not about the starters its about the backups..
Edey is a generational player at 7’4.” There aren’t many of those around. Fall didn’t have his strength, and Fall had 2 teammates who averaged 16 points per game, shooting 37% and 40% from 3.

I think JJJ playing the 4 was good for our team. We could spread it, and he could shoot the 3.

Villanova won one title with one 6’11” player. 4 others averaged at least 10 points, and all were 6’6” or shorter. They won another title with no player taller than 6’9.” They could space and shoot.

As I said, you need some length and height, but I think shot-making is the bigger necessity. If Jonas Aidoo plays Purdue like he’d played most of the season, we probably beat them.

Edey is a generational player at 7’4.” There aren’t many of those around. Fall didn’t have his strength, and Fall had 2 teammates who averaged 16 points per game, shooting 37% and 40% from 3.

I think JJJ playing the 4 was good for our team. We could spread it, and he could shoot the 3.

Villanova won one title with one 6’11” player. 4 others averaged at least 10 points, and all were 6’6” or shorter. They won another title with no player taller than 6’9.” They could space and shoot.

As I said, you need some length and height, but I think shot-making is the bigger necessity. If Jonas Aidoo plays Purdue like he’d played most of the season, we probably beat them.

Agree with everything except the last point about Aidoo. I am probably higher on Jonas than many on here, but he did disappear far too often against physical post presences.

Still, you’re right about JJJ playing the 4. 90+% of the time, it’s better to have a “positionless” 4 in modern basketball. Of course there are times where you shake it up throughout a game as Barnes showed at times this past season when he put Tobe and Jonas on the floor at the same time, but a versatile 4 is needed more often than not in today’s game.

VN Store

Back