2017 Magazine Predictions

Everyone needs to remember that we play in the SEC and Bama every year!

We are NEVER going to have an easy schedule.

Get used to it.

We could end up with only three losses, and two of them to Bama.......As the guy says in the "lead in water" commercial.. Not good, not good.

If Kirby doesn't win the East this season, it's probably the beginning of the end for him even though it make take a few more seasons. 2017 is for UGA what 2016 was for UTK. Stars are lined up for the Dawgs.

Ga. has a habit of not reacting too fast when it comes to replacing head football coaches.

I saw the put Evan Berry as 1st team all SEC kick returner. They also gave us four mentions on their 3rd team.

This is a telling stat that most fans are missing. We have no players on the starting eleven first OR second All-SEC team. Offense OR defense. On paper, Bama, LSU, and GA have much more talent and FL is comparable. This is not an excuse, just fact. And yes, CBJ is responsible for recruiting and player development. I am hanging my hat on the coaching changes. The new staff will make or break our season.

Reactions: 1 person
So you think 2016 was probably the beginning of the end for CBJ, even though it make take a few years longer before he's fired?
I think 2016 put him in a position where 2017 becomes very important to his future. I think Kirby came into a better situation with high expectations. Kirby is supposed to exceed what Richt was doing. All Butch had to do to exceed Dooley was show up for work and not be Dooley.

A first year head coach with a true freshman QB, lost on a hail Mary to a UT team full of upperclassmen. How does that affect Smart's credibility?

Barely beat Nicholls and Missouri, got blown out by Ole Miss, heart breaker to UT, lost to Vandy on homecoming, by double digits to Florida, and lost to GT at home. All with a pretty decent roster. I agree with you though. It's way too early to tell.

Last edited:
I think 2016 put him in a position where 2017 becomes very important to his future. I think Kirby came into a better situation with high expectations. Kirby is supposed to exceed what Richt was doing. All Butch had to do to exceed Dooley was show up for work and not be Dooley.

Made the hire interesting. You replaced a solid coach where his really good years are far removed with a guy that had never ran a program. The transition was pretty smooth, the roster was still pretty good. He didn't have to come in and flip the roster. Changes the expectations.

I agree. Kirby in year two, is in a much, much better situation. Hence, the higher expectations. He returns eleven starters on defense, all Jrs and Srs, has arguably two of the best QBs in the SEC, two of the best RBs, two very good TEs, and Riley Ridley at WR.

If the VOLS beat GT, I see full steam ahead and a bunch of Negavols and pundits upset that TN is tearing it up.
It's like other have said. If we win, we beat a slightly above average ACC team. If we lose, we got beat by a slightly above average ACC team. One of those feats is unimpressive. The other is humiliating. We have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Reactions: 2 people
It's like other have said. If we win, we beat a slightly above average ACC team. If we lose, we got beat by a slightly above average ACC team. One of those feats is unimpressive. The other is humiliating. We have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Nothing to gain? National exposure on a Monday night in the newest stadium in the country. We are TN and ain't scared of the big stage. TN is back to being in Top25; winning again; beating Florida and Georgia again and winning bowl games. Only bama left.

Reactions: 3 people
Nothing to gain? National exposure on a Monday night in the newest stadium in the country. We are TN and ain't scared of the big stage. TN is back to being in Top25; winning again; beating Florida and Georgia again and winning bowl games. Only bama left.
We are currently 6-7 point favorites to beat them in their hometown, which means we are supposed to win relatively easily.

We are currently 6-7 point favorites to beat them in their hometown, which means we are supposed to win relatively easily.

I still don't understand why you don't want the national spotlight? TN is a 3 point favorite. Ga Tech is a respectable opponent who has beaten Ga, Miami, Va Tech and Fl State recently. Ga Tech's hometown ??? So what? The stadium will be at least half VOLS but probably closer to 60%. https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc....dog-tennessee/8iKKPTo6awfJPlptmta0nN/amp.html

Last edited:
I still don't understand why you don't want the national spotlight? TN is a 3 point favorite. Ga Tech is a respectable opponent who has beaten Ga and Fl State recently. Ga Tech's hometown ??? So what? The stadium will be at least half VOLS but probably closer to 60%. https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc....dog-tennessee/8iKKPTo6awfJPlptmta0nN/amp.html
I think the Saturday game will have the national spotlight. Our game is more like the free dessert that comes with purchase of two entrees at Applebee's. If you want to think that playing GA Tech on a Monday night is the bees' knees, then please do so. Personally, I will not be any impressed if we win because we're supposed to win and, well, it's Tech. If we lose, I'll be ready to fire Jones on the spot.

I think the Saturday game will have the national spotlight. Our game is more like the free dessert that comes with purchase of two entrees at Applebee's. If you want to think that playing GA Tech on a Monday night is the bees' knees, then please do so. Personally, I will not be any impressed if we win because we're supposed to win and, well, it's Tech. If we lose, I'll be ready to fire Jones on the spot.

Monday Night Football is a pretty big night for a lot of football fans. I love your logic - if they win supposed to (3 pt fav) but if not fire the coach. Hahaha.

You should probably skip the TN game and watch Bama or whoever your team is.

Last edited:

Don't forget Muschamp (0-3) CBJ record...Vandy (2-2)

LSU since 05

And bammer

5-7 maybe 6-6. New QB, first year starter runningback, lost our best receiver, o line should be solid. Lost our best defensive lineman, 2 starting DTs are returning from injury, lost our best corner. 7-5 or 8-4 would be great this year imo

Despite the personnel losses, a 5-7 or 6-6 season would mean we lose to 3-4 teams that we have more to much more talent than. Don't see it going that bad, and I'm not sure what first year starter has to do with anything in regards to Kelly. He had the highest YPC regardless of how much he got to play. If he stays healthy he has the potential to push for 1300-1400 yards.

I still don't understand why you don't want the national spotlight? TN is a 3 point favorite. Ga Tech is a respectable opponent who has beaten Ga, Miami, Va Tech and Fl State recently. Ga Tech's hometown ??? So what? The stadium will be at least half VOLS but probably closer to 60%. https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc....dog-tennessee/8iKKPTo6awfJPlptmta0nN/amp.html

Thanks for the link. I new GT was breaking in a new QB, but I didn't know they had to replace multiple offensive and defensive linemen. That's huge, esp. the OL, in a triple option system. Tennessee should control the LOS.

So the only games you like are ones where UT beats a higher ranked team. I don't know if you've ever played the game of football before but just bc it says you're supposed to win on paper doesn't mean you will. Gambling sites have a game where they give you 8 games and all you have to do is pick the 8 winners. If the better team always won then Vegas would lose a lot of money.

"We should control the LOS". If that ends up being true I agree we should win. Last preseason all I read was how much improved our OL was going to be. Then came the actual season and reality came calling. We haven't controlled the LOS in several years. I agree we should be much better, but that leaves a lot to be desired.

The prospect of beating another middle of the pack Big 10 team in the postseason is tantalizing. It really makes up for likely missing out on another SEC Championship.

Those bricks just keep piling up.

Makes you pine away for those 5-7 seasons and staying at home for the bowl season, doesn't it?

VN Store

Back